• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why is my 10 yr old cockatiel acting strange all of a sudden?

Jordan

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jordan
My 10-year-old cockatiel, Rocky, has suddenly developed a strange tendency to fly as soon as he steps up on my hand. This does not happen when I am moving him around in my room but only in the living room (where his cage is) and other rooms around the house. He still calls for me when I leave the room and signals that he wants to come, but as soon as he steps on my finger he seems to freak out and fly around. Also, after this happens, he seems reluctant to even go near my hand. He did recently have a crop infection where I had to wrap him up in a towel to give him antibiotics which he hated, but he did not exhibit this behaviour during that time or shortly after. It's also not that he doesn't want to leave the area he is in. He still flies to lounges or benches on his own. Any suggestions would help.

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Could you be wearing something new? I know whenever I have a scrunchie around my wrist my budgies freak out :lol:
I'll be so confused as they fly away and then I realize that my scrunchie is around my wrist and I'll have to take it off before they will land on me.

Jordan

Real Name
Jordan
Could you be wearing something new? I know whenever I have a scrunchie around my wrist my budgies freak out :lol:
I'll be so confused as they fly away and then I realize that my scrunchie is around my wrist and I'll have to take it off before they will land on me.
Nope, not wearing anything new. It is very strange. He'll seem like he really wants to get picked up and will instinctually step up when I put my hand up but then as soon as he steps it's like he realises something and suddenly flies off. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Painted nails can set some birds off too! Otherwise all I can think of is the towelling. Does anybody else have access to Rocky that may have tried to handle him?

Jordan

Real Name
Jordan
Painted nails can set some birds off too! Otherwise all I can think of is the towelling. Does anybody else have access to Rocky that may have tried to handle him?
No, I'm the only one that handles him. The towelling is the only thing I can think of too but that was about two weeks ago and this new behaviour has only started over the last 3 days so I don't think it could be that.