• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

(White fronted) Amazon tips

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
It seems I will just have to order from America and pay the $15 shipping!

Quelle Horreur!

Last edited:

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It seems I will just have to order from America and pay the $15 shipping!

Quelle Horreur!
I think I had to pay $5 - $10 shipping for mine, and I'm in the US, so you have a deal! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Do any of you think that it may be a bit too much of a jump? Going straight from finches, budgies and parrotlets, right up to amazons? I just want to make sure, if we were accepted, that we would definetly be the right people. We have all dine research and know what to expect. What are your viewpoints?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Do any of you think that it may be a bit too much of a jump? Going straight from finches, budgies and parrotlets, right up to amazons? I just want to make sure, if we were accepted, that we would definetly be the right people. We have all dine research and know what to expect. What are your viewpoints?
I never had a bird.

Went straight to 2 blue front Amazons, wild caught, Males.

In my humble opinion, anyone can do anything if you WANT TO LEARN and have a heart.

Elchippo

Moving in
Real Name
Andy
Hello all,

Yesterday, I applied for a White Fronted Amazon from a rescue. I have already mentioned thinking about this before, but we have decided to go for it.

The charity gets a large number of applicants for every bird, so it is quite likely that we won't end up with him anyway.

Just in case we do, I would like to ask for a few tips on caring for a White fronted or just in general. So basically, if you have any tips on any subject of amazon care etc. please do tell me. If we were shortlisted or even accepted in the end, I want to know as much as possible now about them rather then rush to gather information and start off on the wrong foot. The write-up on the bird tells me about current diet, including his food mix and favourite fruits/veggies. (He is on Tidymix, which after looking it up seems like a very good and nutritious mix and has very good reviews)

We were thinking the living room would be the best place for him, as it is the busiest part of our home and he will be able to communicate with the birds in the avairy and the parrotlets upstairs throughout the day. We want to give him the best possible life, which is why I have decided to ask all of you experienced amazon keepers, rather than looking through hundreds of conflicting care guides online.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated as it would be my first time with a larger bird.

Thank you in advance!
Ali
Hi Ali,

We have 2 blue fronted which are very similar, we got Roco first approx 2 years ago, he is such a lovely bird but not sure what happened but he is not into flying, I got very close to him, we keep them in the conservatory, had the underside of the roof under drawn / lined to keep it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. They have the freedom as the 2 cages are open top type and they are open all the time.
I could tell when he wanted to step up as his wings would be going a bit then I would walk over to the cage offer my arm / shoulder and he would be on straight away, I would have him taking pistachio nuts from between my lips he was so gentle... I could go on but time to move onto Ava who we got 6 months later as company for Roco and after a few days they hit it off. A bit about the food...we give them the amazon mixed seed as used at Lorro Park Tenerife we were told, they also like banana, tangerine, orange, they love cooked chicken wings / legs, pork chop bones with a bit of meat left on they love also, cheesy mash potato, defrosted peas and sweet corn. I could go on and on, what ever you are eating they would love, ....But no Chocolate, onion, garlic, alcohol, certain seeds from fruit like apple and peaches etc etc.
They are lovely birds, loud at sunrise and sunset, love music, just need to watch their moods, as they can be very sly when offering bits from the hand as they will slyly go for your finger, sometimes softly but that depends on their mood as they can quite easily draw blood! One soon gets over it though. That's it for now, if I can help with anything I will try.
Our two now are going through the hormonal period, please see thread Ava has been laying eggs and due to hatch any day now, if they are going to!
Good luck and hope you get the white fronted.
All the best

Andy

• Love

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Thank you so much Andy!

The amazon in question has already passed the hormonal period, at the age of gone 20! I have seen your thread too, and have been watching the antics unfold!I

When we are home, he would be out practically for the entire time we were able to, including full days at the weekend and about half a day durung the week.

Thank you so much for your input!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
@Elchippo none if us have any problems with bird dust and dander etc. but how much should I be ready to expect?

Elchippo

Moving in
Real Name
Andy
Hi Ali, sounds like you will be fine, when you are out all day you could possibly set up a radio on a timer for approx 30 mins a.m and p.m, breaks the boredom a bit for them.
Good Luck.

• Love

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Do induction hobs and pans emit the same fumes etc. as normal pans?a
I can't find much about it online!I

Thank you!

Elchippo

Moving in
Real Name
Andy
Keep trying Ali something will come along. All the best.

• Love

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I went back to work and have not been here, I'm sorry you didn't get the bird. We are here for you, don't give up!