• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which Birds are Social Birds?

DaBirdMan

Strolling the yard
Pionus is such a cool species to me and i feel like they are kind of a lost treasure to the bird world as not many people own them but as with any bird they can have their draw backs. Recently one of these draw backs was drawn to my attention. Pionus parrots tend to bond to one person rather than being part of the "flock" which would in this case be my family. Even though it might be a really small draw back to people who don't live with a ton of people or anyone at all, this is enough to rule out the bird for me seeing as i live with 5 other people and have frequent visitors. Please if you would help me reply with a bird that you have heard of or even own that is really good with other people (except the budgie).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Cockatiels are the one bird I think of when I hear people wanting a social bird :)

Parrots are pre-disposed to wanting to bond with one person because they often bond with their mates in the wild.

DaBirdMan

Strolling the yard
Sweet they we already on my list but this confirms it even more ( please ignore my other comment to you as it literally repeats this question) ill defiently look into conckatiels more though.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sweet they we already on my list but this confirms it even more ( please ignore my other comment to you as it literally repeats this question) ill defiently look into conckatiels more though.
That's part of the drawback of posting a bunch of new threads when they are all connected in some way ;)

DaBirdMan

Strolling the yard
@Mizzely what have you heard or what do you know about green cheeked conure and caiques i heard they both can be social what do you think?

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
I think that it really depends on the individual bird. For instance, my bird Georgie (she is a canary winged parakeet) is definitely a one person bird (she prefers me over all of my family). However, this does not mean that she is not willing to interact with other family members. She is a big fan of my parents and will tolerate my siblings. I will say that she will not interact with any strangers and they stress her out. On that note, she is not your typical canary winged parakeet as far as personality. I have heard many other CWPs being very social and enjoying interacting with strangers. ;)

DaBirdMan

Strolling the yard
What i mean by one person is that i dont mind if a bird bonds to just me i just dont want a bird that will attack or hurt my family because of me.

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
Ah, gotcha. I personally have never had this issue of my bird attacking other family members because of just preferring me. I think this common issue is something that be caused by hormones or a mate bond. However, I think that there are some training and/or activities (not touching the bird's back, minimizing cuddling when hormonal, etc.) that can help minimize it. That being said I am not an expert and due to the fact that I have not experienced it, I will leave it to other people to answer that question. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bear in mind that a bird might bond to someone else in your family and decide that they want little to do with you. You can be the one to clean their cage, prepare their food, take them to the vet and they still won't choose you. They can be fickle like that.

Parrots are all individuals. Unlike dogs or horses, they haven't been bred for specific traits or characteristics. You're asking us to make predictions about a completely hypothetical bird, and we can't do that. It's a bit like saying "there's a new person joining my workplace. I've never met them and you've never met them, but can you tell me whether they'll like me and want to be my friend? Will they be sociable, will they be aloof, will they be quiet, will they be outgoing?" You just don't know until you're dealing with an actual individual.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I second the cockatiel suggestion. They generally are easy-going birds. @Princessbella has a cockatiel that when she has parties goes from person to person completely unphased. Granted not all cockatiels will do that but I think if you work on socializing them you have a better chance with a cockatiel being willing to hang out with people.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Cockatiels are the one bird I think of when I hear people wanting a social bird :)

Parrots are pre-disposed to wanting to bond with one person because they often bond with their mates in the wild.
100%

I've never met a cockatiel who didn't love everyone (that wasn't an aviary bird who hated everyone). Mine is a perfect example - He's never met a stranger. He's like the Golden retriever of the bird world. Friends with everyone.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I read somewhere that a Myers parrot likes to be around humans.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Cockatoos tend to be more social than most other kinds of species. But there are lot of drawbacks to them too so research is very important.

Do have an age range you're looking at? I prefer adults over babies, because adults are more settled into their personalities. Sometimes they need help bring out their full personalities depending on their background. So if bird as has been through alot and is now scared and fearful that doesn't mean they'll doomed to stay that way forever.

Is there a rescue near you? Personally I think the best way find a bird is volunteer at a rescue and sometimes you'll find a bird will pick you. I know this isn't available for everyone. But ideally you want meet any future bird multiple times before deciding that's the bird for you. And rescues tend to more accommodating that way. But if you're dealing with ethical people they should let you do that IMHO. Unfortunately there's alot scams out there, so my advice is ask alot of questions and be prepared to answer some yourself too. Anyone who doesn't care where their bird is going and just wants money is a huge red flag for me.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Parrots are all individuals. Unlike dogs or horses, they haven't been bred for specific traits or characteristics. You're asking us to make predictions about a completely hypothetical bird, and we can't do that.
I have more experience with horses and dogs than I do with birds. With dogs, horses or birds it is a matter of reading the individual personality of the animal and adjusting your approach accordingly.
I worked with one mare I had to be forceful with to train. Another mare I had to gently suggest what I wanted her to do. She didn't respond to "being ordered" but she was a gem to "convince".

Each of my flock of 4 has its own personality. One is very social. Two are somewhat "standoffish".. one is the absolute Diva Queen who always gives me the "stink eye".
It comes down to individual bird personality more than species.
There are no guarantees. We accept our flock for who they are.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m surprised no one has mentioned budgies. I find mine very social!
Possibly because they specifically mentioned not being recommended budgies. I was going to mention budgies till I saw that last little comment.

DaBirdMan

Strolling the yard
Yeah sorry i dont want a teeny tiny bird but with the cockatoo suggestion although they are incredible social im no looking to getting a big sized bird either. I am going to stick with cockatiel as numberone on my birld list for right now cause i do love them they used to be number 2 bu now seeing that they are way more socail than pionus they have become number one. Also i dont want a little baby but not a 5 year old adult somewhere between the two and thanks yall so much for helping me out here!! ;)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My favorite birds I've ever had I adopted after they were 10 years old :) Everyone has their preference but an older bird is the beeeeest