• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which "big" parrot has the least bite force?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Vithula - As has been said many times by many experienced people in this thread - ALL BIRDS BITE AND EVERY BITE HURTS TO SOME EXTENT.

Whether a bird, any species, makes a good first pet or not has a lot more to do with you than it has to do with the bird. Maybe it would behoove you to spend more time on thinking on what you have to offer a lifetime companion, than what the bird will give you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If you fear the pain of parrot beaks, maybe look into doves, canaries, quails and other softbills?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
If you don't want a bird that bites, you don't want a bird. I don't know how many other ways we can phrase this.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Vithula - didn't you read what I told you. It depends on you not the bird whether it will be a good bird. Search yourself to see if you will be a good owner for any bird, or if you will only think of yourself,

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
IMO there is no first birds. They all require veterinarian care, attention and a life time commitment. I'm not even sure what a first bird means. I've helped at a cockatoo rescue, I've had a CAG, Amazons, parrotletts, parakeets, macaw and they all are different in the care and attention they need.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
To my recollection, the Eclectus parrots don't have the worst bite right?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My pionus drew blood the other week so yes, pionus can and will bite. Most of the time I am pretty good at avoiding bites but if you live with a parrot, at some point you're going to screw up and get bitten.

As others have said, I think you need to have a think about what you can offer a bird and whether a parrot is right for you at all.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Little birds can give a nasty bite as well as the larger birds. You have fingers, birds have beaks.

depending on the parrot, a parrot bite can exert anywhere between 300-400 PSI.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Even a cockatiels bite can be painful if they want to inflict a mean bite. They have the smallest beak other than the smaller budgie. Anything bigger can cause more pain & damage. Tiels tend to be easier going birds. The bigger birds can come with even more resistance should they decide they don't like you & all new birds don't know you & will be on guard.

Do you have commitment for a bird that can live least 20 years or more than 30 to 50 years depending upon good health care & diet?

You really need to honestly determine if birds are for you. They poop, are noisy & can bite or want nothing to do with you for a very long time.

An adult Grey separated from its person may not want to interact for a long time. They tend to bond with one person & are very skiddish of anyone else. That can vary with all species & depends alot on the bird & their background. No hard fast facts are available.
You have to prepared for the worst & hope it gets better.

You can read The GOOD, THE BAD & the Ugly just to get an idea but each bird comes with its own baggage & personality.

You need to be honest with what you want from a pet & make the decision wisely.
A bird might just not be able to give you what you want.

We are being honest as no one wants you to get a bird & then be unhappy to have to rehome it.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Blood Warning!

Found a photo of my worst Meyers bite from the archives of AA as seems I lost most of Dollys photos.

Dolly attack 6  27 2013 3.jpg

Dolly attack 6  27 2013 1.jpg

Meyers are medium small birds with a huge strong beak.
I was only bit a few times in 3 years but they were vicious & seemingly unprovoked.
Dolly used to wrestle aggressively with toys like it was prey she was killing.

Here she is in her balcony cage getting some natural light. She would latch on & you had to pry her off.
Oww. Didn't realize they did the grind and bite.

Dolly Terror 17.jpg

Last edited:

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Regardless of the parrot, the bite will happen and it will hurt.

Whatever parrot is the one you want to spend the next several decades with is the best first parrot. There is no sliding scale, no starter bird. If you want training wheels, visit a rescue and get to know the birds there.

Ariel'sMom

Checking out the neighborhood
There are some birds that are harder to read than others. The whole goal is not to get bitten. I have been bitten by my cockatoo- never maliciously- almost always when playing and he was overly excited. Almost every time I got bit, it was my fault because I either did something I shouldn't have or failed to pick up on what he was telling me. Some species do eye pinning to let you know they're not happy. Once you get to know your bird it definitely is easier to avoid bites. Have you considered poicephalus parrots? They're "bigger" and I don't think as nippy as some others.
As the proud owner of a Brown Headed Poicephalus since 2003, let me add my experience. In my conversations with breeders and owners Poicephalus tend to be biters though not all of them all. According to my avian vet they have the most forceful bite for their size than about any other parrot. Ican attest to that as my Poi's very pointy beak top and bottom havemet numerous time underneath my skin! They generally hate other birds and jntend to kill them. Definitely one-person birds hut this very close attachment will not prevent your feathered mate from biting the Hell out of you. Might I suggest some really wonderful sweet breeds that talk and are friendly? Ringnecks (African or Indian), male Pacific Parrotlet, Conures. If you insist on Poicephalus, adopt an adult so you'll know the personality and have a trial where you can return.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
As the proud owner of a Brown Headed Poicephalus since 2003, let me add my experience. In my conversations with breeders and owners Poicephalus tend to be biters though not all of them all. According to my avian vet they have the most forceful bite for their size than about any other parrot. Ican attest to that as my Poi's very pointy beak top and bottom havemet numerous time underneath my skin! They generally hate other birds and jntend to kill them. Definitely one-person birds hut this very close attachment will not prevent your feathered mate from biting the Hell out of you. Might I suggest some really wonderful sweet breeds that talk and are friendly? Ringnecks (African or Indian), male Pacific Parrotlet, Conures. If you insist on Poicephalus, adopt an adult so you'll know the personality and have a trial where you can return.
That's because Pois are a massive powerful beak with a head attached. :pinklol:

The beak is almost half the head or the head is almost half beak.

Pit bull is very accurate to way they hold on & grind to China

Dolly was not a biter but in 3 years I did get about 6 to 8 good bites (few a year). Bites were not that often but where vicious & traumatic as they came out of nowhere. Perching fine on a finger & then the attack. They seem mad not scared biters. Never saw that much aggression out of a friendly loving bird you could turn Cujo in an instant.

Last edited: