• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which "big" parrot has the least bite force?

Vithula

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vithula
Hello everyone which "big" parrot has the smallest beak or least bite force

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It tends to be, the larger the parrot, the larger the beak.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I don’t know the answer but the worst bites I’ve had were from small birds.

My CAG has only bitten about six times in 12 years (all within the first few years), and she tends to bite and quickly release instead of holding on or grinding in her beak. Don’t have too much experience with other larger species.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Don't know if anyone has the answer. Bigger beaks tend to be able to exert more force due to stronger muscles behind them, but then there is also a lot to be said for ability vs intent. Some of the biggest beaks are very gentle.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I find the smaller the beak the deeper the cut. My Macaw pinches hard, but our CAG bites & cuts. It all depends on the bird too. If it's being defensive any size parrot beak can give a hard bleeding bite. As far as actual jaw pressure it'd be the large macaws & it comes from the lower mandible (jaw), not the upper.

AzKhaleesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Heather
As far as "big" birds go (in order of normal main macaw breeds) Scarlet - Blue and Golds - Greenwing - Hyacinth. I feel like B&G macaws have the "nicest" bite, don't get me wrong when they bite, it hurts, and can cut and definitely bruises, but I've noticed their beak is more for shredding and crushing. Scarlets tend to cut more, I've been bit a couple times by my friends and he always made me bleed not really bruise, Where as my new Greenwing, she just crushes, and her bite force is so much stronger that I'm sure she'd break a finger before actually cutting it open. Think of it this way.... B&G can open walnuts, Greenwings can open macadamia nuts (B&G's can't and I'm assuming Scarlets can't either) and Hyacinths can open coconuts. And I concur with everyone about smaller birds, you ever been bit by a conure or a parotlet? omg!

Vithula

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vithula
Which parrot has the least painful bite with full power?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Again that's subjective. Some people can withstand more pain than others.

Damage is also not straight forward. Some species tend to twist when they latch on, which arguably can cause more damage than a straight bite.

You can get nerve damage from even a small conure.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Which parrot has the least painful bite with full power?
Maybe if we knew why you were asking we could answer better? Is this just a general question or are you thinking about getting certain birds?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Vithula

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vithula
I like big birds but I'm afraid of their beak and I've never had a bird before

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I like big birds but I'm afraid of their beak and I've never had a bird before
There are some birds that are harder to read than others. The whole goal is not to get bitten. I have been bitten by my cockatoo- never maliciously- almost always when playing and he was overly excited. Almost every time I got bit, it was my fault because I either did something I shouldn't have or failed to pick up on what he was telling me. Some species do eye pinning to let you know they're not happy. Once you get to know your bird it definitely is easier to avoid bites. Have you considered poicephalus parrots? They're "bigger" and I don't think as nippy as some others.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Pois have large beaks for there size & when they bite they hold on tight & grind & grind deeply into the skin. My Meyers bites came out of no where or at least I never figured it out. One moment happy on the hand the next second latched on like a pitbull.

Tiels imo have the smallest head to beak ratio but they are sharp & a good bite can still hurt but nothing like a Meyer which is very traumatic as you have to get them off your finger & they will just hang on grinding to china. Meyers can dig down deep & loosen a hunk of flesh

Last edited:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I strongly suggest you volunteer at a parrot rescue.

That will enable you to identify different types of parrots, how they signal when they aren't happy (i.e.before bites happen), and...... perhaps you'll bond with a feathered buddy you would never have given a moment of thought to.

Remember, all birds are different. I know people that swear their huge beaked birds are sweeties.

Personally, Secret, my remaining amazon, pulled hunks of flesh out shortly after I got her but it was my fault, I didn't know about hormones and the warning signs like pinning eyes.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Amazons are not for the faint of heart.:cautious:

Truth is every bird can bite & poops.

Good advice on the rescue volunteer to see more first hand the daily constant care that never goes away for decades depending upon species.

Best to realize if a bird is not for you before you get one.

Birds really are really not for me (noise & mess) but when I am without a bird I have an empty heart feeling that never goes away but I struggle with the burden of daily care & mess etc.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Any Pet or bird shops round you? Maybe you can hang out & watch. Ask questions. Maybe see if they can use help for free.

Last edited:

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I completely understand the fear of being bitten. There's no real way to overcome it other than to meet a bird and get bitten at some point (not on purpose), and it will happen at some point if you have a parrot of any kind even if it's a super nice, tame parrot. Biting is just part of the deal.

I've been bitten by my birds, a lizard (not mine), dogs and a horse. If it gives you that much anxiety I would rethink getting a parrot. Maybe a finch or other softbill would be a better fit.

Good luck.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Pois have large beaks for there size & when they bite they hold on tight & grind & grind deeply into the skin. My Meyers bites came out of no where or at least I never figured it out. One moment happy on the hand the next second latched on like a pitbull.

Tiels imo have the smallest head to beak ratio but they are sharp & a good bite can still hurt but nothing like a Meyer which is very traumatic as you have to get them off your finger & they will just hang on grinding to china. Meyers can dig down deep & loosen a hunk of flesh

Oww. Didn't realize they did the grind and bite.