• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where can I rescue a Cockatiel in NM?

tsco

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm looking for a decent place around El Paso, Las Cruces, or Albuquerque to get a cockatiel. I've found a few stores, but I would greatly prefer to get a cockatiel from a rescue/someone looking to re-home.
The ones I was looking into have closed down, or are too far away, and as far as Craigslist goes they look very unhealthy, there's not much in this desert besides that, as far as I've been able to find :<
I'd prefer a hand tamed bird, but that's not a requirement or anything, nor do I have a preference towards gender, color, or age.
I thought I'd come here before looking into any breeders, any ideas?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@tsco Thank-you for trying to adopt.
Yes I know Anna's rescue (Macaw and Cockatoo Rescue NM) closed down, but I looked on her facebook page which is still up and found Birds of a Feather Parrot Rescue in ABQ. They are still open. And perhaps can refer you if they have no cockatiels.
Around here, many smaller bird adoptions are also handled by animal shelters that mostly do dogs and cats. They send the large birds to a local parrot rescue and adopt out the budgies and cockatiels. So check them too.
Anyway a link: Birds of a Feather Parrot Rescue of New Mexico

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can also look at Petfinder.com. A lot of rescues post there.

3baddogs

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
You can rescue my son's cockatiel, if you're still looking. We're in Las Cruces. She's about ten years old.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You can rescue my son's cockatiel, if you're still looking. We're in Las Cruces. She's about ten years old.
Welcome! Just so you know, this member has not been back on the forum for the last six months, so you will most likely not receive a response. If you wish, you can post your own thread about your son's cockatiel.

Ja0428

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jana
I'm in Las Cruces and am looking for a cockatiel to adopt

3baddogs

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
Does she still need a home??
Oh, I'm so sorry, I also did not come back on the forum as it's new to me. Yes, she REALLY needs a home now as we have discovered the allergies I developed in my fifties(!!) are to the bird! hahaha. She comes with her cage and food and the toys that are in there. She's ten or eleven years old and not particularly hand trained. She spits at me, but she likes my son who used to take her back to his room and have her fly around and attempt to hand train her. Let me know if you're still interested. If not, I'll reply to the guy below. Thanks.

3baddogs

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
I'm in Las Cruces and am looking for a cockatiel to adopt
After looking at posting dates, I noticed everyone else is on as frequently as I am. I was going to give the post above you first shot, but whoever logs on first and still wants her it is. So yes, she is still available to adopt. Please get in touch if you're still interested. I'll check back probably several times daily because my 'late in life' allergies have been diagnosed to her feathers! So she definitely has to go. Thanks!

3baddogs

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
After looking at posting dates, I noticed everyone else is on as frequently as I am. I was going to give the post above you first shot, but whoever logs on first and still wants her it is. So yes, she is still available to adopt. Please get in touch if you're still interested. I'll check back probably several times daily because my 'late in life' allergies have been diagnosed to her feathers! So she definitely has to go. Thanks!
I can't figure out how to delete the above. She's found a home.

3baddogs

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
Oh, I'm so sorry, I also did not come back on the forum as it's new to me. Yes, she REALLY needs a home now as we have discovered the allergies I developed in my fifties(!!) are to the bird! hahaha. She comes with her cage and food and the toys that are in there. She's ten or eleven years old and not particularly hand trained. She spits at me, but she likes my son who used to take her back to his room and have her fly around and attempt to hand train her. Let me know if you're still interested. If not, I'll reply to the guy below. Thanks.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
No need to try to delete it. People will hopefully read that you’ve found a home for your bird if you add that to your rehoming thread (if you have one).