• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's your bird's weird quirk?

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Just curious- what's one thing your bird does that's weird or strange? My bird gets scared of the original Mario music from the 80's. He also loves to knock things off of shelves.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Opie gets wound up when I’m brushing my teeth or when I let my hair down, lol! He starts bobbing back and forth and reaches out to try to get to me! It’s hilarious

Oscarbird

Opie gets wound up when I’m brushing my teeth or when I let my hair down, lol! He starts bobbing back and forth and reaches out to try to get to me! It’s hilarious
My parakeet sprinkles for a time started to peck at stuff and she sounded like a wood pecker, quite literally:laughing1:
Sunny the budgie loves to what I call pretend to be a shark , he'll be singing away and then BRRRTTT and lunges his face towards whatever he is facing :p
These are all so hilarious! Birds are just the cutest things...:xflove:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My budgies interject in conversations that aren't going well for me. I'm on speaker phone a lot.

Last week, I was engaged in conversation with a business who'd made a truly egregious mistake to which they admitted. I asked them what they intended to do to fix it. The guy started to say "I can try, but I can't promise...".

The end of his sentence was completely drowned out by the most deafening angry budgie noises I've ever heard. All four of them went from silent to enraged in no time flat, perfectly in sync with each other. He got the hint & stopped talking.

I honestly didn't know they could be that loud. I think he wondered what I harbour in my apartment...

Oscarbird

My budgies interject in conversations that aren't going well for me. I'm on speaker phone a lot.
This is very relatable! My bird also loves to join in convos when I'm talking to friends. I feel so bad for the person that I'm talking to because their ears must hurt after listening to the horrific screeches of my lovie trying to get my attention.

The end of his sentence was completely drowned out by the most deafening angry budgie noises I've ever heard. All four of them went from silent to enraged in no time flat, perfectly in sync with each other. He got the hint & stopped talking.
Oh boy! I can't imagine four birds all chirping at the same time ... but I can imagine the expression on the man's face when he heard the noise!:lol:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
what's one thing your bird does that's weird or strange?
Hmmm...

Well, Sydney has his signature ¨Pi-Pew!¨, that if we call it, he will always respond. He first shakes his head side to side then calls it upwards. He´s such a sweetie!

Aldoras quirk would probably be her frog noises. Quite interesting, and her daughter Lapis does do it occassionally too.

Lapis makes the cutest squeaks and beeps when I cover her for bed. She will copy any clicks I make to her, and makes the cutest little sweet sounds.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
lolol I just realised that my post made my nightmare squad sound like a bunch of little angels! :lol: But honestly, making a racket is not unusual nor a quirk at this point :rolleyes:

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Our Umbrella C. Abby, stands at the empty water door [when I'm cleaning the bowl]... and, knowing she's NOT SUPPOSED to escape... will give her cheek numerous, very quick 'scratches'. As if trying to occupy her mind NOT to squeeze out the door!
Our Timneh, Freddie, used to vigorously SHAKE her bell when I was doing something she didn't agree w/ .

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
One thing? Ha! as if you could distill a tiny bird down to one!

- Hair bands.

Come into our house with your hair tied up with a band, and Essie will leap into action. Loves to just sit on the back of the head and chew away at the band. Pull her away, and she goes quietly onto a perch . . . and waits for everyone to stop paying attention . . .

- *Squeak*

Essie has a bright squeak (Almost as loud as her contact call) whenever something happens she REALLLLLLY likes. Fresh scoop of her favorite seeds *Squeak*. Lights turn on in her day cage *Squeak*. Pull out a favorite toy at the right time *Squeak*. Ice in her water bowl *Squeak*. Pull out the popcorn popper *Squeak*. Just tried a new food that's yummy *Squeak*.

- "Wait, you're leaving? Scritches time!!!"

Never fails. If she senses it's time to go somewhere, do something, or for someone to leave (usually me, going to work), she poofs up and starts scratching her cheek and stares aggressively in your direction. "Don't you want to scritch me?!?!?" Ugh. Yes.

- Mwuah means "I'm sorry".

A hard nip, badgering, ignoring "Not for Birdy" . . . doesn't matter why she got there, If Essie ends up in time-out and she's in a contrite mood, she'll blow kisses to you. Walk up to her and blow a kiss back and she visibly brightens, and will be on her best behavior for at least the next . . . 5 minutes? She blows kisses for a myriad of other reasons throughout the day, but that's about the clearest message that originates from her.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Of a evening Mojo AKA. the feathered spitfire likes to spend a bit of time flying around and doing laps from the living room into the conservatory then into the kitchen back into the living room and onto her perch she then makes one hell of a noise probably the noisiest she gets if you dont cheer her and clap once you have acknowledged her flying skills she is off on another lap. She flys around during the rest of the day but saves her laps for the evening after we have all eaten.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Just curious- what's one thing your bird does that's weird or strange? My bird gets scared of the original Mario music from the 80's. He also loves to knock things off of shelves.
Lol, now those two things have combined in my head. I'm picturing the Star powerup song playing while your bird dashes along the shelves like a little bowling ball and sends things flying in every direction.

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
My budgie, before he flew away would make the same exact sounds as my sun conure. He rarely made parakeet sounds. Instead, he would make grunting noises like Pepe. Tweety followed Pepe everywhere (or tried to) and always wanted to be next to him. He also learned how to ring the bell in his cage with his beak whenever he wanted attention from Pepe. Sadly, Pepe payed no attention to him unless it was to be mean.

Pepe, my sun conure makes laughing noises when we laugh. It’s pretty funny.

Gigibirds

wound up when I’m brushing my teeth
Same! Pistache goes crazy for it and loves to 'ride' on my toothbrush!

I had a lovebird who would do somersaults in his cage to get my attention...a parakeet who would spend ages under the couch, and the only way to get her out from under there would be to jangle a mirror with bells....a lovebird who was convinced that hair was invented for the sole purpose of being pulled out or cut off and used for a nest....and more!
All of my birds have had their own silly quirks that make them unique! I love them so much :xflove:

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
My budgie, before he flew away would make the same exact sounds as my sun conure.
We have a friend who bought a budgie to hang out with their old grumpy 'teil. Within the first week he went from normal budgie chatter to sounding like a quiet grumpy 'tiel :roflmao: They can be fantastic mimics.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My grey's first test of any new object is to scratch her head with it. Cute, but relatively normal, right?

Thing is, she does this even when there's no actual object.

If you set her on an unfamiliar flat surface, she'll bend forward, rotate her head so it's completely backwards and her beak is pointing at the ceiling, then waddle around pushing her scalp across the floor like a mop. First time I saw this, I got really worried wondering if she had some kind of brain trauma - a stroke or something. Nope. She just really likes scritching her head. (One of these days I'm going to get it on camera).