• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's The Next Step?

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
main questions are: getting untame cockatiel that feels safe in his old, worse cage to go into new cage with toys and more enrichment.
My tiels took some time but eventually they started coming out to explore! For me it actually took just a few cage layout alterations.

Consider that birds don't like flying to something new. For them it's committing themselves to landing on that big scary thing. Instead they prefer to slowly and tentatively walk over to it and investigate. You could do as @saroj12 suggest and put the cages face to face, maybe with a long rope perch connecting the two and plenty of treats in the new cage!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
For cage, I was thinking something like this or this
Neither. Both are poor cages. I had a tall house cage like these, and I absolutely despised it. Hated it with a passion. I had a little lovebird in it, and I found it too narrow, so I know it´s way too small for your cockatiel.
At a glance, something like this would be better;
You might find a better price on amazon, or similar cage for a little less.
Having a nice large cage is important for those birds who like to be inside it so they can fully stretch.

Yup you understood correctly. I've tried to get him to come out before.
Maybe this will help;
Pictures - Thanks Zara!

How to trim his nails without grabing him or getting the trust needed and then grabbing him.
His nails don´t look too long on the photo. Invest in a good quality pedi perch to help file them a little and it will reduce the need to trim them. I use Hagen (living world). Just make sure you place it right , if you see it´s not effective, move it until it works.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Okay so to sum of of what i've learned in this thread:
-New cage get one like Zara reccommended
-I think the toys are okay(?)
-Get a pedi-perch to trim his nails
-Place both cages next to each other with something connecting it and treats on the other side
-Go slowly and feed him millet from my hand until he is comfortable.

Did I miss anything? If not, I'll just go off of this for my bird friend!

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
You won´t find any of those tall ¨house¨ cages that are wide enough. They´re really not a good choice.
do you know any cheaper options for the one you reccomened? and are the open top cages okay?

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
would it be okay to push in softly into my birb's bottom chest? would he be scared?

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Cage suggestions:
If you can't afford Zara's suggestions try looking at listing sites for used, but cheaper cages. I found my flight cage, for my cockatiel, for much less. Or, maybe this cage: Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products SP42614-4 Flight Cage, Brown/Black : Pet Supplies
I use it for my 2 budgies. It is not as spacious as a flight cage, but it might do for a cockatiel. Or look at one similar to these:
1616353020241.png 1616353113473.png
Lots of options. If you have a small cage, you can let him come out (in a bird-safe room) a lot to help make up for it:) Once he gets used to coming out.
would it be okay to push in softly into my birb's bottom chest? would he be scared?
I don't think it's a good idea. Not unless he is a baby or is well-socialized. It would probably just scare him.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That´s only 17 less than the large on..

I would just like to say, as someone who wasted so much money on stupid cages. Buy the one you think is the best fit from the start. Don´t think of temp cages, or upgrading in the future. Even if you have to borrow a little money now from a friend or family member. Get a good size cage to start so you don´t need to buy another in the future. And again, as your birds don´t want to leave the cage, you really do need the most amplious you can find.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
That´s only 17 less than the large on..

I would just like to say, as someone who wasted so much money on stupid cages. Buy the one you think is the best fit from the start. Don´t think of temp cages, or upgrading in the future. Even if you have to borrow a little money now from a friend or family member. Get a good size cage to start so you don´t need to buy another in the future. And again, as your birds don´t want to leave the cage, you really do need the most amplious you can find.
Sorry

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
I would like to get a cage with an open top. Is this reccomended? If so, I know this is probably too small but it's the kind i'm looking for. Any larger options?

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I would like to get a cage with an open top. Is this reccomended? If so, I know this is probably too small but it's the kind i'm looking for. Any larger options?
Open tops are fine. Round cages, and "decorative" cages are what are considered inappropriate for birds. I don't know of any options.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
I found one and it's coming in a week. Super excited!
Okay so final question: is this the right path for my birb?
1. New cage and lure him in with millet and treats, connected by a ladder.
2. Feed him treats and bring my hand slowly closer and closer until I barely touch his feet.
3. Step up.
4. Open cage door and allow him to explore, now that he knows how to step up I can move him from unsafe situations.
5. After he's used to stepping up, do recall training.
6. Keep him near my working area and maybe have him learn to accept scritches.

I know things probably won't go as planned, but I at least want to have some sort of outline.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Be sure to have lots of treats and toys/toy parts to make toys :)
Treats will help you with training and trust building, the toys will give you something fun to do together and also for him when he´s alone so he can learn to be independant.

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
Okay so I've gotten to the point when I can very very lightly "boop" his feet. The way I feed him millet is not with my hand sideways (which would be more like a step up hand) but with my hand facing towards him (I sprinkle the millet on my palm so its more like seeds). I was wondering if I could gently push to encourage him to step up or would he be scared?