• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to do if i have to go to school and have a single budgie?

Mamamaddie

Moving in
Real Name
Maddie
My baby budgie, Bowie, came from a wonderful, very educated breeder who absolutely adored any and all birds she'd raise and sell. He's a month and a half of age and.. and.. im a teenager and i go to school every day (like most high schoolers do :scared2:) and bowie, when we went to pick him up, was already tame and hand trained, which i thought was amazing c: even on the car ride back, he wanted to be out and on my shoulder. I got him the weekend of spring break (meaning the monday after would be the first day of spring break) and so i was able to spend so so much time with him, and i believe it's safe to say he's already bonded to me.

He was basically out of his cage for the majority of that entire week, going into his cage only to sleep, and the few times i left the house for errands and once to see the new mario movie. He's still pretty much a baby and is gradually becoming more comfortable with climbing, flying, chirping, and just becoming more curious. This morning was the first time i had to put him in his cage at around 6:30, and i wont see him until 3:30 :c im genuinely so worried because he doesn't interact with his toys nearly as much as other budgies ive seen do, and he's become so attached to me as i have him :c I've left his favorite food and fresh water, as well as plenty of toys in his cage, and i left the radio on this morning, so he can feel not as lonely. He's such a sweet, loving bird and see's me as his companion- i feel so bad for leaving him- but i just know my dad will be VERY against getting a second bird to keep him company. I've done hours of research, and spent so much of my own money to ensure he can have only the best, but i feel so stumped on this- I feel so bad for Bowie, for putting him in this situation i wasn't fully prepared for. He's my first bird, and i genuinely love him so much- But.. i also accept that if the enviroment i have for him will be harmful then.. i'm more than okay to rehome him, for his sake. I was naive to not think this through and now i feel stuck :c

Anyone who's been in the same situation, please- just tell me what you think is best :c

I'm so happy to have stumbled across this lovely website while looking up what to do <3 this community seems awesome :strhng:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Many birds are left alone for 8 or so hours a day. Things you can do to ensure your bird is happy and healthy:

Make sure the cage is large enough to truly move in. A 30x18 flight cage would be an inexpensive option if your current cage is smaller.

Perches of varying diameters, natural wood if you can. Dowels come with many cages and are harmful if given as the only option. They can cause bumblefoot and arthritis.

Toys of many varieties. It may take time for them to play. My budgie customers seem to love mahogany, cork, super thin pine, Sola, balsa, cardboard, and vine. Foraging can be a great way to engage a bird :)

Sound. Whether this is white noise from an air purifier or low music, having something running so that it's not silent in your house can help them relax. Silence in the wild would mean "be alert"!

LexBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
-Lex-
Welcome!!! I'm also a teenager and I know how it feels to be so busy with stuff and school, 2 years ago I became really fascinated with birds, I spent a whole year doing research and saving up money for a budgie, at first, I was planning on only getting one, but the store had a sale and so I got 2, (also because I didn't want a lonely bird)
they seemed to get along really well.

About your budgie, I think he's just getting used to things and he might need time to adjust, if you have time, try to play with him at least 1-2 times a day and make sure to spend time with him on weekends, if he gets lonely, you can try leaving some budgie sounds playing or leave the radio on so he doesn't get bored, about the toys, try to get a variety of different toys and maybe make some foraging toys, budgies love millet to try hiding millet in some of his toys, my bird didn't play with toys that much but when i made foraging toys she had fun ripping them apart to get the treat!
Don't feel guilty, you're doing the best you can and I can see you put in a lot of work into this, lots of people impulsively buy and bird and don't give it any care, be proud of yourself for talking good care of him :)

Good luck! Just ask if you have any questions :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I second all that Mizzley said. I had a single Greenie when I was in school and she did wonderful with a large flight cage,plenty of fun toys and perches and I spent all the time I could with her when I was home. She'd perch on my shoulder while I did homework or play on her playstand on my desk. Then when I started working we followed the same routine and she did amazing for the 11 years I had her. Most of my other birds I've had over the years as singles weren't bothered by my working as long as they had a fun full cage and plenty of out of cage time and attention when I was home.

Mamamaddie

Moving in
Real Name
Maddie
Welcome!!! I'm also a teenager and I know how it feels to be so busy with stuff and school, 2 years ago I became really fascinated with birds, I spent a whole year doing research and saving up money for a budgie, at first, I was planning on only getting one, but the store had a sale and so I got 2, (also because I didn't want a lonely bird)
they seemed to get along really well.

About your budgie, I think he's just getting used to things and he might need time to adjust, if you have time, try to play with him at least 1-2 times a day and make sure to spend time with him on weekends, if he gets lonely, you can try leaving some budgie sounds playing or leave the radio on so he doesn't get bored, about the toys, try to get a variety of different toys and maybe make some foraging toys, budgies love millet to try hiding millet in some of his toys, my bird didn't play with toys that much but when i made foraging toys she had fun ripping them apart to get the treat!
Don't feel guilty, you're doing the best you can and I can see you put in a lot of work into this, lots of people impulsively buy and bird and don't give it any care, be proud of yourself for talking good care of him :)

Good luck! Just ask if you have any questions :)
Gosh you're so sweet <3 thank you C: I actually was in the exact same situation you were, I became like- obsessed and fascinated with birds too, and i... researched for around a year too :,D My parents surprised me with Bowie on my birthday last month, by making me open a huge box, which was his bird cage. I definitely will try out the foraging toys! That wasn't something i thought of, but im sure he'll love it because he's obsessed with millet lol. Thanks for being so cool and informative :) <3

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamamaddie

Moving in
Real Name
Maddie
Many birds are left alone for 8 or so hours a day. Things you can do to ensure your bird is happy and healthy:

Make sure the cage is large enough to truly move in. A 30x18 flight cage would be an inexpensive option if your current cage is smaller.

Perches of varying diameters, natural wood if you can. Dowels come with many cages and are harmful if given as the only option. They can cause bumblefoot and arthritis.

Toys of many varieties. It may take time for them to play. My budgie customers seem to love mahogany, cork, super thin pine, Sola, balsa, cardboard, and vine. Foraging can be a great way to engage a bird :)

Sound. Whether this is white noise from an air purifier or low music, having something running so that it's not silent in your house can help them relax. Silence in the wild would mean "be alert"!
I see i see ! thanks man <3 I have definitely provided him with a huge cage and he has these lovely natural wood perches as well as a rope perch, the wood ones vary in size and width so he has a lot of variety. I'll also check out your toys! The pet store ones kinda scare me with all the dyed wood :,)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I see i see ! thanks man <3 I have definitely provided him with a huge cage and he has these lovely natural wood perches as well as a rope perch, the wood ones vary in size and width so he has a lot of variety. I'll also check out your toys! The pet store ones kinda scare me with all the dyed wood :,)
Depending on the brand, dyes are usually fine. If you want to avoid dyes, and are shopping with me, just leave a note at checkout and I'll leave them natural :) Very few things I carry can't be completely dye free.

The dyes I use are Vitacritter, which is specifically made for birds and small animals, and Americolor or Wilson's, which are food grade gels.

Mamamaddie

Moving in
Real Name
Maddie
Depending on the brand, dyes are usually fine. If you want to avoid dyes, and are shopping with me, just leave a note at checkout and I'll leave them natural :) Very few things I carry can't be completely dye free.

The dyes I use are Vitacritter, which is specifically made for birds and small animals, and Americolor or Wilson's, which are food grade gels.
Right, that's completely understandable about your toys and dyes C: I've been checking out your website and wow it's incredible :D Once i have enough money i'll definitely be buying some of them <33

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome!!

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I have been in a very similar situation as you before when I got Oliver. Now not every bird and experience is the same but here is my story. What ended up happening was Oliver slowly stopped being as active and happy as he usually was. He would also call for me whenever he had to be put up. I ended up having to get a second budgie out of fear Oliver was becoming depressed. My mom didn’t like the idea but she saw how sad Oliver was getting whenever I had to leave him alone during the day. Oliver had also gotten aggressive but that could have just been the teenager phase many birds go though. Once I got Winston it made a huge difference. Oliver was back to his old loving self and was chirping and playing. It’s been about 5 years since then and they are both very happy to have each other. They don’t share a cage though but that’s another story that most people don’t have to go through.

Mamamaddie

Moving in
Real Name
Maddie
oh- i see- i think i'm just going to wait things out, and see how he reacts to this change- I'm happy for you that Oliver and Winston worked out <3 Worst comes to worst, if my bird Bowie's mental and physical health starts to decline then i'm either going to really really try and convince my dad about getting a second budgie, or.. rehome him- because i'd hate for him to be sad, nonetheless because of like- the situation i put him in

LexBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
-Lex-
Gosh you're so sweet <3 thank you C: I actually was in the exact same situation you were, I became like- obsessed and fascinated with birds too, and i... researched for around a year too :,D My parents surprised me with Bowie on my 16th birthday last month, by making me open a huge box, which was his bird cage. I definitely will try out the foraging toys! That wasn't something i thought of, but im sure he'll love it because he's obsessed with millet lol. Thanks for being so cool and informative :) <3
Thanks! Post some pics of Bowie soon!!