• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What mutation is this?

Lovebird27

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Christian
I dont know whether its pastel or pied. The color from the chest does not run all the way down to the legs, so it makes me think its a Cobalt Pied Sf or not pied, but I am not sure.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Lovebird27

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Christian
Why not pastel pied? Head makes me believe pastel, clear markings pied.

@expressmailtome might even have an idea! ;)
The reason why I dont think its pastel is the dark cobalt on the wings. Usually on pastels it looks a bit washed down, however, we see a complete lost of eumelanin in some parts of the wings. Not to mention, on a Dominant pied we can see a reduction of eumelanin on the mask as well which is what I believe we have here. The stomach makes me doubt its authenticity since most Dom. pied birds have the same color running down from chest to feet. I have heard that som Dom pied birds that are SF may have color there, but I am not sure.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
There's no way to identify a SF Dom. Pied unless you breed it, or you know whether the parents are SF or DF and you understand how the mutation inherits.

Lovebird27

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Christian
There's no way to identify a SF Dom. Pied unless you breed it, or you know whether the parents are SF or DF and you understand how the mutation inherits.
But is this pied or pastel? Right. So, if I cross it with a cobalt Personatus and all come out Pied I am own a DF, however, if some come out cobalt, I have a SF, correct?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I would guess "SF Violet D Blue Dom. Pied". Pretty bird! :)

Single Factor Violet - if SF, then half the offspring will be violet. If DF, all of the offspring will be SF violet

Dark Blue - aka Single Factor Dark [Blue] - if half the offspring are dark, then this implies Single Factor. If all the offspring are dark, this implies Double Factor

Dominate Pied - Works same as Violet and Dark Factor mutations.

This is if you were to breed the bird with another that does not carry those traits.

Does that explain it well enough? Or worse? lol

Lovebird27

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Christian
Single Factor Violet - if SF, then half the offspring will be violet. If DF, all of the offspring will be SF violet

Dark Blue - aka Single Factor Dark [Blue] - if half the offspring are dark, then this implies Single Factor. If all the offspring are dark, this implies Double Factor

Dominate Pied - Works same as Violet and Dark Factor mutations.

This is if you were to breed the bird with another that does not carry those traits.

Does that explain it well enough? Or worse? lol
I understand all of this perfectly. What I am wondering is if this is a pied or pastel and why.