• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent What is wrong with my parrots beak, it looks terrible!

Taylortot

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Taylor Briggs
I noticed in November her beak started to get a little flakey. I thought it could be her diet because she was on a seed and pellet mix for most of her life, but she refused to eat the pellets, she is very picky and it's hard to get her to eat anything besides just the seeds. I decided to just give her pellets from Roudybush and chop (a mix of veggies). Eventually she relented and ate the pellets and has been on that diet for a few months, but her beak looks like it has gotten worse! Its also slightly purple, she hasn't run into anything that I know of, so I dont think it is a bruise. It also looks longer that it normally is. She has a vet appointment this week, but I wanted to see if anyone could give me an idea of what it could be.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Hi!
Some of this normal.
Some of it is indicating a diet defficent in vitamin A .
And as aong time send onky eater is to be expected.
Great job on getting pellets and some veg eaten!
Try yellow bell pepper, any bell peppers or other peppers are a great source of beta carotene / vitamin A
But mine really love the yellow and orange ones best. I give daily.
Some cooked sweet potatoes served warm seem quickly taken to by many parrots. Cooking carrots can improve thrm eating them as well.
A little boiled egg once ir twice a week

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The purple spot looks like an old injury that it growing out. Some flakiness is normal but I agree that it can look worse for birds low on Vitamin A. Does she chew at all? Chewing on wood can help keep their beak in better condition, too.