• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What does bath time look like for you?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I cannot seem to get Bella to bathe, i spray her with water sometimes though, "torture" as bella likes to call it
My Squeak hates the spray bottle most times, I do offer it as every now and then he gets into the mist falling on him and enjoys it enough to give his tail a wag and show happy bathing behaviours, but usually he just gets a large lettuce leaf or spinach leaf to bathe on- I drown the leaf so it is literally dripping (carry it to his cage in a bowl of water) and he is usually trying to get at the wet leaf while I am pegging it from the top of the cage- he rubs on it chews at it, forces himself under it to the other side and generally has a blast. Many budgies prefer to bathe this way instead of being sprayed. If Bella does not like being sprayed then it is best to keep trying every other suggestion you come across for her. You may even find the sound of the vacuum to be helpful to encourage her to bathe.

Burt likes the spray bottles best so I fill 3 or 4 of the 2 litre ones and drench the room and him with them. Birdie only likes showering in nature including late at night when it rains and it is a nice temp outside- the late night showering concerns me but he does not care. Squeak likes large dripping wet leaves to bathe in.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Rupert likes a shallow but wide enough dish, so that he can fit his tail in. I use an old Tupperware container for it. I pour water in from a little cup, to get the splashy sounds going. If he starts preening, it’s a good sign he’s game for a bath. If he walks away, I take it as a no thanks.

I just watch for his “ok I’m done” body language. He usually bathes once or twice a week, but it’s been a lot more lately. It’s a heavy molt.

5AA40533-8BB2-4D15-A54A-9AD19FBEA59B.jpeg

Winn

Jogging around the block
Not the prettiest bathing area... but I rigged this. Water drips from a cup at the top into the "jar". Sometimes they dip in the upper cup and sometimes they want to be "rained on".
(I do NOT leave this in the aviary when I'm not keeping an eye on the birdies..) IMG_20221117_173148.jpg IMG_20221117_173300.jpg

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Not the prettiest bathing area... but I rigged this. Water drips from a cup at the top into the "jar". Sometimes they dip in the upper cup and sometimes they want to be "rained on".
(I do NOT leave this in the aviary when I'm not keeping an eye on the birdies..) View attachment 417339 View attachment 417340
That is really clever!

AGS

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ava
Widget will always willingly take a bath in a bowl, but he doesn’t seem to know how to do it and usually ends up with soaked pants but only little droplets of water everywhere else. Then afterwards he realizes his pants are soggy and he gets upset.

I can usually give him a spray bath once a week. Normally he is not a huge fan but when he’s molting he get really into it. Same thing though, even when he enjoys it he hates being wet after the spraying is done, and he hates touching wet stuff so he won’t preen his feathers. He will try then flick his head in disgust.
A10587F3-5C75-4F37-B408-781014EB6EFA.jpeg

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We still use our original 108 year old clawfoot tub, since the house was built. I take the handheld shower head down & Give JaKhu a good rise off & then she plays. Wings flapping, back & forth in the tub & water flying. Yep I get soaked too. My other 2 birds, U2 & CAG sit on a table perch & I give them a good rinse.

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The sun is shining and air temp is nice today so Burt agreed to a slight spray down. 9999ED90-7C5A-4EC6-83AB-6401D3EEE2B3.png 65E2212B-D2DF-4D8D-ADE5-D69A08B506C9.jpeg B7168851-8227-4EB1-93F7-E6B2C78BE8FB.png
I keep hearing that bathing calms everyone’s birds…. I got launched at and accosted straight after this last pic, Burt is always highly excited and a tad dangerous while bathing and straight after it- 30 mins later he is nice and calm and busy fixing up feathers and hiding the bald spots again :laugh:

SunnySandi

Walking the driveway
I’m loving seeing and hearing everyone’s bath stories :heart2: Valkyrie hates everything but the shower, she still hisses at the spray bottle if it’s even brought remotely near her lol

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sprite loves to bathe. She usually takes a bath once a week in the bird bath I have attached to the cage. She always makes a huge mess, and somehow manages to get everything wet. :lol:Marshmallow on the other hand, never bathes. Occasionally he'll dip his belly in the water for 0.2 seconds, but other than that, he never touches the water. I've tried misting him a few times with a spray bottle, which he never liked until the other day, so maybe I'll try that more often.
Here's Sprite after one of her most recent baths.

IMG_20221107_102201860_HDR.jpg

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Like this!

Usually Mabel immediately runs to the spray bottle when it makes an appearance...Jeff needs to warm up first :rolleyes:

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
The sun is shining and air temp is nice today so Burt agreed to a slight spray down. View attachment 417350 View attachment 417351 View attachment 417352
I keep hearing that bathing calms everyone’s birds…. I got launched at and accosted straight after this last pic, Burt is always highly excited and a tad dangerous while bathing and straight after it- 30 mins later he is nice and calm and busy fixing up feathers and hiding the bald spots again :laugh:
Hello handsome! Bald spots?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Bald spots?
Just the areas where there are fewer feathers and you can see skin when they are wet. He does not pluck or have full time bald patches :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
View attachment 417294
pico and Indie liked to bath on sink running tap I have to tap my hands in water through for them to join in
Since getting mango (hard to get three downstairs and back up) we use a bowl mango loves to dip fully in sidling from one side of bowl to other pico likes to flick water at himself or me with my fingers indie loves to fluff up in bowl holding sides though not fully in like mango
In summer they seemed to prefer cooler water but now it’s winter I’ve been giving them warmer water
That´s how my lovies enjoy bathing the most - under the tap on the draining board. They also like me to cup my hands together so they can bath in the hand-bowl :rolleyes:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
That´s how my lovies enjoy bathing the most - under the tap on the draining board. They also like me to cup my hands together so they can bath in the hand-bowl :rolleyes:
I do need to try them again downstairs just put me off getting them back up and it’s a new house so maybe worse it was indie and mango they just fly around screaming

TheBirds

View attachment 417294
pico and Indie liked to bath on sink running tap I have to tap my hands in water through for them to join in
Since getting mango (hard to get three downstairs and back up) we use a bowl mango loves to dip fully in sidling from one side of bowl to other pico likes to flick water at himself or me with my fingers indie loves to fluff up in bowl holding sides though not fully in like mango
In summer they seemed to prefer cooler water but now it’s winter I’ve been giving them warmer water
Oh gosh that's too funny! My boys (also lovebirds) would also require convincing with the hand tapping in the water :roflmao: It used to be like pulling teeth, but then when they finally committed, really got into the whole bathing scene!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Oh gosh that's too funny! My boys (also lovebirds) would also require convincing with the hand tapping in the water :roflmao: It used to be like pulling teeth, but then when they finally committed, really got into the whole bathing scene!
:rofl: It’s like you try it first then I will think about it :lol: