• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What does bath time look like for you?

SunnySandi

Walking the driveway
I’m curious how everyone bathed their birds. Bowl? Mister? Shower? Sink? Warm water or room temp? With or without toys? Any photos of adorable wet chickens?

I’ll start with Valkyrie. She’s a warm water shower gal. She takes a few minutes to just soak in the spray and have a drink before fluffing out and beginning her wash. Some photos of the aftermath

9C947162-E970-472A-B159-8491C415E9B2.jpeg 345BC72D-967A-4C7E-BC6D-3F01E0AE06C3.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ripley likes to dunk his head and throw his wings around like he's being taken down by a fish while barely getting wet at all. :lol:

Aviphile

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
DeeDee
I cannot seem to get Bella to bathe, i spray her with water sometimes though, "torture" as bella likes to call it
For really small birds sometimes a wet bowl of greens is the answer to getting them to take a bath. When you spray the water spray it above their head so it falls like rain on them, mine seem to like that better. I use a miracle gro battery powered spray bottle that I LOVE!
miracle gro.jpg

ems08

Walking the driveway
Riley is very picky about his baths. He will *only* bathe in 0.5 in to 1 in of lukewarm water in the kitchen sink accompanied with spritzing from a bottle with warm water.

He sits on the divider between the two halves of the sink to get spritzed and then jumps into the water and practically bashes his brain in splashing. :roflmao: Then he'll jump back up on the divider and repeat! It's pretty cute and he gets really wet.

20221029_143037.jpg

On the positive side he's never once bathed in his water bowl!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I allow mine to choose. So 2 bath bowls are always available. My GCC takes a bath nearly every day. Sometimes I offer misting

20220401_141400.jpg
The quakers choose every few days or once a week

20220507_162503.jpg

LexBirds

Walking the driveway
Real Name
-Lex-
For really small birds sometimes a wet bowl of greens is the answer to getting them to take a bath. When you spray the water spray it above their head so it falls like rain on them, mine seem to like that better. I use a miracle gro battery powered spray bottle that I LOVE!
View attachment 417258
ah okay, thanks for the info. Opening amazon now :)

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Luke warm water, either in his water bowl, my hands under a running tap, or in a deep bowl so the can sit and soak, then flail around and flap his wings :lol: . He looks like a little rat afterwards. I'm yet to try a shower, I feel like he'd like it.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Walter hated bathes overall. In his youth he would try and stuff himself into his water bowl. Of course he would refuse any dish big enough for him to actually fit in the bowl. Later we took to steaming up the bath and then "accidentally" dribble on him after giving him scratches on the head. In fact the last picture I have of him was during one of his spa days (of course he doesn't look the slightest bit wet)
tempImageICYhyk.jpg

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
73D61D20-A9F7-43DD-B450-EC88C1E47DBF.jpeg
pico and Indie liked to bath on sink running tap I have to tap my hands in water through for them to join in
Since getting mango (hard to get three downstairs and back up) we use a bowl mango loves to dip fully in sidling from one side of bowl to other pico likes to flick water at himself or me with my fingers indie loves to fluff up in bowl holding sides though not fully in like mango
In summer they seemed to prefer cooler water but now it’s winter I’ve been giving them warmer water

Last edited:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Tyrion takes baths in his water dish ..I try to spray him with warm water but he hates it ...Lagatha loves to be sprayed ..and Rhaenyra doesnt like being sprayed but we are working on it :wacky:

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
This was bath time earlier this week - my visiting cockatiel started us off

PXL_20221112_172506711.jpg

I went into the kitchen and came back to Opie looking very pleased with himself (he's a water bowl bather so far)

PXL_20221113_151019782.jpg

By this point Keiko had gone full soak too in his shallow dish so I asked Cotton if he wanted a bath too

PXL_20221113_160533277.jpg

He did not :roflmao:

Cotton has never ever ever chosen to get wet and it would help him feel so much better with always having new pins. I've tried all the tricks and keep rotating through them in case one will stick!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This was bath time earlier this week - my visiting cockatiel started us off

View attachment 417301

I went into the kitchen and came back to Opie looking very pleased with himself (he's a water bowl bather so far)

View attachment 417302

By this point Keiko had gone full soak too in his shallow dish so I asked Cotton if he wanted a bath too

View attachment 417303

He did not :roflmao:

Cotton has never ever ever chosen to get wet and it would help him feel so much better with always having new pins. I've tried all the tricks and keep rotating through them in case one will stick!
Have you tried we leaves in cottons cage cotton might rub against them.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a shower perch attached to the shower screen and the girls take it in turns to shower with me.

Leia flips upside down and flaps around. Her attitude is "Okay human, you do your thing, I do my thing. If you touch me, I will be immensely put out".

Kira stands on the perch, wings slightly outstretched and just letting the water fall on her. She will allow me to lift her wings and make a little feathery mohawk on her head. She seems happy to be there but because this is Kira, there may not be much going on in her head beyond "wet. weT. wET"

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Oscar - I approach him periodically with an Exo Terra Mister and if he steps up he gets a shower until his body language tells me to stop (if he doesn't step up, he doesn't shower).

Jericho - same approach with Jericho, but he doesn't enjoy it as much so he'll quickly fly to the nearest water bowl and pretend that dunking his feet is getting him wet.

Marvin - will generally let me know she's interested in a bath by using body language, and will excitedly watch when I'm running the water at the kitchen sink. When I observe that behaviour in her, I'll offer the opportunity to bathe, which she is free to accept or refuse. Once she's done, she simply walks up my arm to let me know.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I use a miracle gro battery powered spray bottle that I LOVE!
One safety tip for everyone in this thread is to clearly mark our bird sprayers as "water-only", "bird-only", etc, or use a specific type that can't be confused for other use cases.

I've seen avoidable accidents where the wrong thing was sprayed.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
One safety tip for everyone in this thread is to clearly mark our bird sprayers as "water-only", "bird-only", etc, or use a specific type that can't be confused for other use cases.

I've seen avoidable accidents where the wrong thing was sprayed.
agreed I sprayed f10 all over my plants in chameleons vivarium killing them all lucky it was before I got my chameleon