• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you think!!?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jade
I agree with Atvchick95, don't worry too much about it, just keep an eye on him. And do not regret bringing him home he looks very happy!:heart: You can use the oil just in case. If you notice it getting worse then you can go from there, though to me I really don't think he has it. If he does, it's really treatable, especially since it's would be quite mild. It's usually treated with Ivermectin which you could probably get but like others have said it is quite strong and often hard on the birdie. I've always heard that the cage and toys should be disinfected with 10% bleach solution because while the mites are species specific they can remain on things, especially porous material like wood.:confused: Hang in there Emily, you don't cause yourself premature grey hair growth lol!
:hug8:
I rescued a budgie with really bad scaly mites on her face and her feet, one of her eyes were practically crusted shut, I started giving her Ivermectin the same day and we say results in just a couple of weeks and now shes scale free!

Last edited:

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
thanks guys. I think i will watch for a couple of more days to see if it gets any worse, if it actually is mites. I was thinking about getting oil to try using anyways. It won't hurt.

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
I can see that on the pic, it does look like something. I thought it was food but you said it wasn't.

I think you should take him to the vet if you are really worried.

Is it treatable?

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
just called the vet - but the lady who treats birds isn't in until friday.

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Ok just hang in there. I'm sure he'll be fine :hug8:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Even if he does have mites, which it doesn't really look like to me, it's really no big deal. They're easy to treat, and caught early won't do much harm at all. Kind of like fleas- unless they're REALLY bad, it's more of an inconvenience than anything. :hug2:

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
The meds are only about $15 but youd have to pay a sitting fee of like $75 to see the vet and the drugs are POTENT and can harm your other birds if he come in contact with eachother.
I would just use the oils. As I said they are cheap and VERY effevtive, and if you use them even if he isnt affected you wont hurt him.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
what type of oils are you talking about using?

if your referring to some sort of Essential oil - those are toxic to birds - specially Tea Tree oil

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
The check up at the vet was quoted to be around 50 dollars, or a little less but the fact that the meds could be dangerous is holding me back now.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Wheat Germ Oil - Bought at an avian supply store - Used in drinking water usually to give shiny plumage or something - Couldnt be harmful - treated several budgies with Mites, and not only did the mites go within days, they are all healthy and happy today!

Oh and the vet told me the ivermectin (or whatever its calleds) could be toxic to my other birds if they came in contact with the injection area or if it were swabbed on spot as some vets apply it.

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
I really don't think that's it but letting the vet check to be sure would be a big help if you're that worried. I'm all for trying the natural methods first especially when something is still in a mild stage.
And though Ivermectin is potent but it is only dangerous when overdosed, as long as your vet dilutes it well, there shouldn't be a problem. It can be administered to the jugular vein and the treatments are usually spread pretty far apart.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What other alternatives are there than to take the meds? I know there's always risk involved with any medication but from my understanding, the meds are a very effective treatment and I'm really not sure if there is a better option.:) I feel that if I were in your situation, I would trust the vet and their proffesional opinion.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
IME, other than certain kinds of collies (MDR1 mutant dogs) properly dosed Ivermectin is very safe. I've used in everything from baby kittens to horses and my vet uses it in birds as needed. I've never heard of anyone having issues with it before today.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Wheat Germ Oil - Bought at an avian supply store - Used in drinking water usually to give shiny plumage or something - Couldnt be harmful - treated several budgies with Mites, and not only did the mites go within days, they are all healthy and happy today!

Oh and the vet told me the ivermectin (or whatever its calleds) could be toxic to my other birds if they came in contact with the injection area or if it were swabbed on spot as some vets apply it.
Thank you! :) I am going to look for the oil tonight. Do you think i should use the oil on my whole flock?

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
IME, other than certain kinds of collies (MDR1 mutant dogs) properly dosed Ivermectin is very safe. I've used in everything from baby kittens to horses and my vet uses it in birds as needed. I've never heard of anyone having issues with it before today.
My vet said that is often diluted incorrectly and can cause overdose and that some smaller birds might die as a result of the toxicity. Also, he said that my Finch would die if given access to it - Maybe because they are so small - I dunno - Just going by what he said.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Update?

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Emily the one thing you must do; and I know it is hard, is you must calm down and breathe. Having an anxiety level as high as what you have right now is IMO more detrimental than the possiblity of mites.

I saw your post on the other forum and the picture that you provided here is much better. Like everyone else I am not seeing what the other person said he saw.

For your piece of mind you need to see what the vet has to say, but in the interim please stop and breathe you are no good to your fids being in this state.

Keep us posted!

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Thats guys.

Me and my mom are currently searching for the suggested oil to start treating with that. I'm watching Sir Higgins very closely to see if it gets worse, but its not. I realize that it might not be it - and none of the other birds at the pet store i got him at seem to have it.. but the oil won't hurt him :)

Now, i'm trying to see what birds can be infected with the mites as i've been told its species specific. I can't seem to find a list. If anyone knows if conures and parrotlets are on the list i'd be very very appreciative if you could let me know asap :)

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Thats guys.

Me and my mom are currently searching for the suggested oil to start treating with that. I'm watching Sir Higgins very closely to see if it gets worse, but its not. I realize that it might not be it - and none of the other birds at the pet store i got him at seem to have it.. but the oil won't hurt him :)

Now, i'm trying to see what birds can be infected with the mites as i've been told its species specific. I can't seem to find a list. If anyone knows if conures and parrotlets are on the list i'd be very very appreciative if you could let me know asap :)
Species-specific? Hmm... I always thought they were bird specific but didn't really care which species. Let me know if you do find out differently! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.