• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you think!!?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Knemidocoptes occurs mostly in older or sick animals that have a weaker immune system. Lesions to look for include scaling, crusting, and grayish lesions on the skin around the beak, eyes, legs, and feet. The mites burrow into the skin leaving large tunnels resulting in the characteristic honeycomb lesion.

In severe cases the beak will start to grow malformed and it might become hard for the bird to breath. Also, the legs and feet will also become malformed and the bird will become lame. Swollen nail beds and misshaped nails can also occur.
Quoted from : Scaly Face in Budgies

Oh, god that describes his feet. But i was told it was from him being in the nest. I don't see an of the 'honeycombs' though his nails and toes are deformed and twisted and some are missing. If it was that causing his messed up feet you'd think that it'd be on his face severly, too, right? And that his beak's be overgrown? His beak seems the perfect length

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Just shot off an email to the vet. Its not open now and i'm in school in the AM. i know i will be constantly sneaking and checking my inbox in class to see if i get a reply.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Ugh i hate being such a worrier. I am not going to be able to sleep all freakin night.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he does have this condition. What is the worst case scenario? Is this treatable? Is Cookie and the other at risk?:huh:
There's not much that can be done about this tonight Emily so please don't worry yourself sick. I'm hoping for the best.:hug8:If possible, I'd consider giving the vet a call instead. Vicky has alot of Budgies, maybe she'll know. I'll pm her this thread.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Yes, from what i've read its highly contagious? And Cookie and Toc could already have it. I'd call the vet if it was open. I'll try in the morning.

This so sucks. Since seeing the threads on putting money away for situations i have been - but i dont have much at all and i'm only in high school. I hope a vet will do a payment plan with me. I asked them that in the email.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I just had two pf my budgies treated for minor cases of Scaley Face Mites on their face and legs. Your bird does not appear to have what mine had at all, not even early signs.

I would just keep an eye on him, watch for honeycomb like holes in the beak and cere, etc. If it turns out he does have them though, they are VERY easy to treat naturally at home. I took Wheat Germ Oil (bought at a pet store) and used a q-tip to apply it to the affected areas (careful not to get it in his eyes and mouth) once every other day for a week. The oil covers the honey-comb holes the mites dig into your birds face/legs, causing them to suffocate. Shortly after your first two applications you will notice the crustys falling off on their own. Painless and inexpensive and SAFE compared to the vet shot, which has been known to kill birds from toxicity.
It is highly contagious but you wouldnt need to disinfect you cage, just keep him from contacting other birds.
And remember, this sint something you could have prevented. The mites are contracted from the parent or other nest mates upon hatching, and remain dormant until the birds immune system is weakened for some reason....even just catching a draft, or not enough sleep.
Let us know how it develops, but as I said he does not appear to have them now, not even the early signs.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've Pm'd Lotus too.

So .. did you actually find an avian vet? Will your parents be able to help you pay for his care?:)

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I can see now in the picture(the outside ones) where under his cere looks a little crusty but it's hard to tell from a picture. But again to me, I don't think its scaly face, usually it does progress pretty fast so if it is, you will know soon enough(I know...not comforting). I was going to suggest swabbing his with a small bit of vaseline. Like srtiels said it could be flaky do to low humidity and at the same time it will smother the mites if there are any.
Keep an eye on him (as I'm sure you already are:) if you see any changes or more flakiness then....
NO VASELINE! To thick and could suffocate your bird if you get it in his breathing holes.....just the wheat germ or something of the same consistency.

Plus, in the pic the slight white at the start is similar to the start of the crustation, but I find that start progresses really quickly, so if his face has been like that more than a month, its not mites.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Saemma - there isn't an avian vet in New Brunswick that i, or others around me, have been able to find. There isn't one, BUT there is a local vet who i have heard is good with birds and has treated them before. I have emailed them, and i will call.

The horrible part is i COULD have prevented it. I could have not been so selfish and begged to have Higgins. I could have left him at the pet store instead of risking Cookie and Toc.

I will watch him for a few days, and talk to the vet, and try the oils that have been suggested. The oils would not hurt him even if he doesn't have them, would it? If i see them start to get any worse i will be treating all three birds.

My parents would pay if they had money because they know how much these birds mean to me. I have a job so obviously from now on i will be using all of my paychecks for this if i need it, even if i have to borrow the money from family. (i have lots of family, they would lend me it if i really needed and asked for it.)

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily

NO VASELINE! To thick and could suffocate your bird if you get it in his breathing holes.....just the wheat germ or something of the same consistency.

Plus, in the pic the slight white at the start is similar to the start of the crustation, but I find that start progresses really quickly, so if his face has been like that more than a month, its not mites.
Thank you, i will not use Vaseline. I don't know how long its been there as i've only had him for a little under two weeks.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Just take a breath and calm down. I too felt awful when I discovered my little budgies had them also, but there was no way for you to know he had the dormant mites when you got him. The oils will not hurt him, and I would highly suggest NOT taking him into the vet for this as they WILL overcharge you for something possibly dangerous to your other birds AND Higgins, and you can just resolve it at home!

No stress, both my two are healthy and happy now! Took 1 week in a sick cage away from the others, and the oils (which wont hurt him unless you get it on his eyes or he ingests high amounts which could cause diahreah.) are safe.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm hoping for the best Emily.:hug8:Please keep us posted and try to enjoy the rest of the evening. You've done all you can do tonight.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Hmm, to be honest, it does look like he might have them, although it's hard to tell from the photos. The most trusted medications are invermectin and scatt which are usually available by prescription only, but you should probably be able to bring him into any vet and that has seen birds at all, not necessarily an avian vet. I have always read that you should disinfect EVERYTHING-- cages, toys, perches, cage covers, bowls, etc. A lot of people I know will throw anything porous out (wood, cotton, etc.).

mtngirl

Sprinting down the street
It is very treatable. And, you should not regret bringing home Higgins. He appears to be a lovely budgie and is lucky to be with you.....Your other guys will be just fine!

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Lotus I have read that with scaly facemites you don't need to disinfect everything because these mites stay in your bird, and not on the souroundings

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Lotus I have read that with scaly facemites you don't need to disinfect everything because these mites stay in your bird, and not on the souroundings
I personally have never experienced it so I haven't done extensive research on it, but on a budgie-exclusive forum I'm on it comes up a lot, and that is just the general wisdom that is relayed. I'd say that in the majority of cases I've read about, that is the action that people take.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I didn't read all the replies, so sorry if its been answered

your bird DOES NOT HAVE SCALEY FACE MITES - who ever told you that must not know what they are!

He does look to have had Splayed leg and it was never corrected and that is why his feet are curved like that. - doesn't help much with missing so many toes either so that could be the entire problem with his feet but From looking at him he's completely healthy - 'insect" wise any way

you would know if the bird had mites, There would be "crust" that looks like honey combs ALL over the beak and cere, the feet would be CRUSTY and the bird would ITCH A LOT

Last edited:

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Thank you atvchick. I know he has splayed legs and deformed twisted and missing toes, that is part of the reason I bought him. I think io am still going to treat him, and the others. Beyyer safe then sorry and now affter researching I have to agree that it does look like it in the early stages.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
he doesn't have any crustiness on him at all, He looks like a Normal English Budgie

Some times Treating things that are not there is not always best, the medicine for scaly face mites is POTENT and if not administered correctly can cause more harm than good

This is a Early on set of Mites

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
If he does have this condition. What is the worst case scenario? Is this treatable? Is Cookie and the other at risk?:huh:
There's not much that can be done about this tonight Emily so please don't worry yourself sick. I'm hoping for the best.:hug8:If possible, I'd consider giving the vet a call instead. Vicky has alot of Budgies, maybe she'll know. I'll pm her this thread.
I am still not convinced that he has scaly mites, I mean it doesn't look like it to me. None of my budgies have ever had scaly mites, but my nieces did. She treated all of them, it was not a big deal at all and it all went away:) If it's scaly mites you will just get the meds and treat them all. I don't think they are costly meds either. It will be ok Emily, even if it is mites, but it may not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.