• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What can I feed my birds instead of pellets?

Karaya

Sitting on the front steps
Hello everybody! ;)
I’m a new owner of 2 cute lovebirds. Currently I feed them seeds and homemade chop full of veggies and some fruits. Unfortunately I couldn’t find any pellets in my area. If I order anything online it could take few months before it comes here :shifty:
How can I make sure my birds get enough nutrition without pellets? Is there anything that could substitute it?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1:

How can I make sure my birds get enough nutrition without pellets?
Offering a good mix of veggies, here is a good link; My Chop "Recipe"

Also being sure your bird is getting direct sunshine (not through glass). If you don´t have access to direct sunlight, a vitamin D3 supplement can be given.

SkyLark

Jogging around the block
Nutriberries contain sugar though, so not good for long term feeding. I'd say fresh veggies and vitamin supplements. Don't feed them a lot of fruit, as I said for nutriberries, they contain lots of sugar. I'd also say to order the pellets anyways, even if it takes a few months to arrive. Oh, and :welave:
(edit:) :needpics:

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Sounds like you are doing well. A good chop mix and quality seed mix should have you covered. Not everyone uses pellets to feed their birds. Many birds refuse them entirely. A balanced, healthy diet that does not rely on processed foods is generally better for your birds, if they are will to eat it. One thing I might suggest is try adding sprouted seeds. They can be a nutritional powerhouse and usually are readily accepted.

If you are worried that something might be missing, there are powdered mutivitamin/mineral supplements available for birds.

Last edited:

SkyLark

Jogging around the block
I just read the tread u linked. Seems like it's a matter of personal preference, if the bird will eat the whole thing, then, sure, it's technically a type of pellet. If the bird doesn't eat the whole thing, then it's not exactly a complete pellet, but pretty close.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Here you go!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Here you go!
The recipe requires pellets.... The lack of pellets was the reason this thread was created.

Karaya

Sitting on the front steps
Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1:

Offering a good mix of veggies, here is a good link; My Chop "Recipe"

Also being sure your bird is getting direct sunshine (not through glass). If you don´t have access to direct sunlight, a vitamin D3 supplement can be given.
Thank you! :marlenesmile:
I’m definitely going to try your recipe. And thanks for the tip about the sunshine!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Reactions: Ali

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Unfortunately, to make homemade nutriberries, you need access to pellets. If you had access to pellets, you could just feed the pellets directly. Nutriberries without the pellets would just be seeds glued together with honey. The birds would love it, but it would be a treat, not a complete food.

Not really a viable solution to your problem, I think.

Last edited: