• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Bird Tricks Can YOUR Bird Do?

MangoTheLB

Meeting neighbors
I'd love to hear what tricks your feathered companions can do, whether just being able to hold certain items (like pens) to being able to use your credit card to buy treats! (...let's hope no bird ever learns how to use a credit card..)

A few tricks my bird Mango does is the following: Twirl, Speak on command, Lay on back, Mimics a pencil tip hitting the ground (best way I can describe it!) and lastly.. she can do the tango!! (Why else would I nickname her Mango Tango? :laughing2: )

Skittles, (my budgie) is still trying to learn how to speak but so far she's learning how to dance and bob her head! :birdance:

Anyway, do let me know what YOUR bird can do!

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I’m trying to train both my birds but the Meyers hadn’t much patience and the Quaker is an unusually timid Quaker. He’s gotten to the point of giving me his ball and will randomly go get it if I’m not paying enough attention to him.

I bought a clicker and he’s scared of the clicker; bought a basketball hoop and he’s scared of that. I collected and washed milk caps cuz they’re pretty colors and he’s afraid of them. Good grief!

The Meyers just wants to chew things up and be pet briefly on demand.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
That IS cute! I wonder if I could work that out with Willow. I think we need tricks that don’t require props.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If the bowl isn't secure, Ripley can toss his water bowl at the dog with surprising accuracy. :laughing2:

He can also make my 3 year old scream like a banshee just by bluffing. :rofl:

Do those count??

TheFatBIRB

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David
That IS cute! I wonder if I could work that out with Willow. I think we need tricks that don’t require props.
I agree, let me know if you do end up training this. ;)

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Inca the Amazon will raise his foot and grab my finger on request (not on command, only when in appropriate mood :lol: ) . Rio the CBC will tap when asked. Rio is also potti trained (means he won't poop on his favorite humans, but any other places are exempted). But I do a lot of tricks for my birds enjoyment! :roflmao:

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Oh yes, my Willow is potty trained. All my Quakers have potty trained easily. My guess is they’re used to keeping their nest clean and you are their nest, sort of.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Burt will show his big wings, wave with whichever foot I ask for, he will fly back to his t stand when asked to, go inside the cage when asked (sometimes more willingly than other times), he can chuck stuff to me when asked to for me to catch (and also when I am not looking he will drop or throw stuff on top of my head for his own amusement lol), he will poke his tongue out as far as he can for a kiss when asked, he is also surprisingly scary with how perfect his aim is when he throws stuff through the bars of his cage usually at the dog if she absentmindedly gets too close to his cage- he has trained her well to stay away from his cage- started with tipping water on her lmao, he will do the huge wings and scary "rah" sound when cued and also when he sees someone outside the house he will either yell "rah" or "hello" non stop, he will hide behind something and pop out and say "peek a boo" and then wait for me to have a go too lol. He nods yes when he wants something you offer him. There are a few other things he does too but nothing amazing or anything- just moving to a certain perches or coming to you if asked to type of thing.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If the bowl isn't secure, Ripley can toss his water bowl at the dog with surprising accuracy. :laughing2:

He can also make my 3 year old scream like a banshee just by bluffing. :rofl:

Do those count??
Poor Mathias.. I love that kid but I honestly gotta lol! :roflmao:

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Snicker.

My last Quaker was the Queen of rude noises. You’d be doing whatever and suddenly hear a zipper noise, or the dripping water noise, or loud loud smooches.

Willow quietly makes noises but not so much. I try not to take him in the bathroom so as to keep his bodily noises limited.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Snicker.

My last Quaker was the Queen of rude noises. You’d be doing whatever and suddenly hear a zipper noise, or the dripping water noise, or loud loud smooches.

Willow quietly makes noises but not so much. I try not to take him in the bathroom so as to keep his bodily noises limited.
Don't most cheeky birds do raspberries? Burt does raspberries but they are from me doing mouth raspberries on his belly not from listening to actual farts :rofl:

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Both my lovies shake hands, spin and give kisses which is a sweet little beak bump. It is adorable. They go on their playground and start spinning when they want treats haha. They can learn so much more but to be honest, I’m being lazy. Also, one of them is much more focused and able to be taught. Wally’s excitement gets the better of him and he derails the training session :banghead:

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
All 3 of my birds dance on command. JaKhu: dances on command, sticks her tongue out, does wings up/big bird. working on getting her to go back to her cage on command. Jasmine & Jengo both go in cages on command, & do big bird/wings up. Jasmine runs into a towel. Jengo & JaKhu go into crates on command. Have recently taught JaKhu & Jengo to take toys out of food & water dishes. They all step-up/down.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Snicker.

My quaker is also big into the body sounds. He does two different fart sounds, dramatically coughs like a wee little smoker, hiccups, sneezes, and fake sneezes. He taught himself the sneeze, which just sounds like a loud "ah". It wasn't his best work (you wouldn't know it's supposed to be a sneeze out of context), so I taught him to add a high-pitched "choo" on the end to create the "fake sneeze". He also learned how to say "bless you" after the sneezing.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Tteok is recall trained by accident. But he comes to me from anywhere in the house when I start whistling If I Only Had A Brain. I've tried other tricks and he has 0 interest in learning.

Isadora is, weirdly, potty trained (kinda) - She will not poop on a person. If you're holding her, she'll start saying "Step up" while looking at/bobbing towards the nearest perch. Pop her up there, she relieves herself, and then comes right back. If I could teach Tteok any trick on earth, it would be that. I'm constantly wiping little bird turds off me :roflmao:

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
Only my Quaker Tony and GCC Tom know lots of tricks.
Tony can spin, wave, target, and say no on command.
He sneezes when he hears me do it too!

Tom spins, flips (around a perch), shakes hands, kisses, targets, and is pretty well recall trained.
He likes to cough when I do it too, and not a trick but we’re working on picking his wings up.