• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Bird Tricks Can YOUR Bird Do?

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Don't most cheeky birds do raspberries? Burt does raspberries but they are from me doing mouth raspberries on his belly not from listening to actual farts :rofl:
Lucy thought tummy raspberries were hysterically funny. I tried it with Willow and he was Shocked. Clearly quite offended. Their personalities are very different.

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Pepper can shake hands and give kisses, but not much else. I have a miniature shopping cart that I got thinking I could teach him to push it around, but no luck. It's not really a trick, but he says "achoo!" anytime someone sneezes!

Tina&Mill

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tianna Schwindel
Been working hard with Millie, and while she isnt the cuddly type of bird, she loves her treats! She can step up, and she will fly away on command! (though Im still working on getting her to fly back on command) She also Loves to talk! Ive taught her how to use her 'whisper voice' and shell whisper squawk or talk to you if you whisper back!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The only "trick" that Michael will do is wave when cued to do so.

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
My rescue conure Charlie is still too shy to step up or be touched, but I have recently discovered that he knows how to give kisses! If I say “give a kiss?” He makes a kissy noise and I give him a sunflower seed. :xflove: He is 14 and not much of his past is known beyond his age, but I am starting to get the feeling that at one point in his life at least, he was somebody’s beloved pet. Maybe some new tricks will surface from his memory as he becomes accustomed to his new life.

BirdBunny

Moving in
New here. I have a WBC. He loves trick training. Spin, flip all the way around on a finger or small bar, recall and go to a spot pointed at (most of the time, still working on this), and working on fetch which he’s been doing pretty well. My favorite is when he hangs upside down he says “you’re upside down” and when he flips upright he says “ you’re sooo cute!”

clarousel

Preeno always surprises me with how smart he is. He currently does the usual step up and recall. He's also able to turn and flip on a perch, and give kisses His most recent trick is going through a tunnel (my hand)! I really want to train him to fly through a hoop :roflmao:

Patches has come a long way from being totally afraid of humans. He's not able to step up and do short distance recall.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I have tried to teach Willow some trucks, but he is afraid of new objects and shiny objects. So I need to stick with things that are from his cage. We are working on fetching a small toy and dropping it in my hand.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Spin, target, shake (sort of), go to his perch, if i say "gimme kiss!" he'll say the 'kiss' part with me and then give me a bite on the nose and make a kissy noise, tell me when he needs water by making a "water noise" and saying 'go poop' when he needs to poop (usually too late though lol).

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Well, willow knows to potty when I say “go potty” or to potty on paper. That’s a satisfying trick.

Christsa

Moving in
Real Name
Cristi
Oh yes, my Willow is potty trained. All my Quakers have potty trained easily. My guess is they’re used to keeping their nest clean and you are their nest, sort of.
Hi, how do you potty train? I just purchased a caique. He’s being weaned but should be home by next weekend. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi, how do you potty train? I just purchased a caique. He’s being weaned but should be home by next weekend. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Unfortunately potty training is really not advised as it can be quite dangerous for health reasons. Not even people should "try" to go to the toilet when told to... toileting is something that should only be done when the need arises not when a que is given.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Anywhere I tap with my finger and say, "C'mere", Merlin will go to that spot, even without a treat-- whether it's the bed, the floor, me, whatever. I didn't teach him to do it, and I didn't realize he knew that "trick" until I was showing a friend this video and they were like, "Wow!" I was never amazed because that's just Merlin being Merlin!

He will also mlem my fingertip when I hold it up and say, "Kiss!" Percy never learned that-- we tried. Percy would do anything for a treat, including going through the "tunnel" of my hand. Neither of them have learned spin! I've tried-- Merlin is smart enough, but when you train him with hands he will get distracted from the treat and start romancing your fingertips. He is much more attention than food motivated!

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Unfortunately potty training is really not advised as it can be quite dangerous for health reasons. Not even people should "try" to go to the toilet when told to... toileting is something that should only be done when the need arises not when a que is given.
It’s more showing them where you like them to poo and always having it available. Then telling them how smart they are when they poo in the right place. No pressure, no food rewards or commands to go, just “good birdie” when they go on paper or on their perch.

yes, I think having to produce a poop on command is a bad idea. It is mostly me being trained that he goes about every ten minutes so I make sure he has paper or perch access.

Last edited:

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
For example, Willow knows it’s good to potty when he’s on or in his basket. This is how I carry him most of the time because he slides off my skinny shoulder. This is Willow’s basket.
A3CF1E46-3C4A-4A07-A954-B95AB4B89282.jpeg
my previous Quaker had a bad leg and couldn’t perch very well so I always carried her in a basket or in an infinity scarf. I just got used to this and it works well for Willow, too. He knows the basket is his spot. It makes a nice station for a bird because they have a perch, toys, maybe food, and a place to potty.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I’m trying to get Willow to yawn on cue. He will imitate my yawn but I haven’t got him to do it on cue yet.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Pico can turn around/spin both ways
Flip around rope perch or my finger but he doesn’t like doing it on my finger I think it’s hard to get over so I don’t ask him anymore
Recall to me and fly back to spot he was last on
If I tap a perch he will come unless he knows it’s time to go back in cage :sneaky:
He can wave
Tunnel under my hand

Indie can turn around both ways
Spin around rope perch
Makes a kids noise if I say indie kisses and as started doing it to get attention
I have had to look with wave as she would eat my finger
She won’t step up but will recall if I tap my arm or a perch

pico can step up but as indie doesn’t do it I just put out my arm or finger to get both of them to fly to me

both can pull foraging draws out but indie prefers pico to do it then steal one

I have tired to teach pico to fetch but he just runs off with ball or throws it to indie

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Some every clever birds on here @Shezbug would love to see big wings please

Hannah!

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
My cockatiel can step up fly to me spin shake hands and wave and my two budgies can kinda step up and kinda fly to me