• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well then.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Me: Oh they're already mid-20s, I'll just keep them. It'll be fine.

Four hours of teeth vibrating squawking later: N O P E.

I don't know how y'all conure people do it. We were in the car for four hours and I think I'm deaf. Literally - after they scream I can't hear anything for a second.

Here's what I know about them: They're between 22 and 25 years old. The previous owner passed, she'd gotten them from a pet store (since closed) and had them for over 20 years. One is male (Pedro) and one is female (Margarita). I don't know which is which. They both appear to have some feather issues - the jenday looks to have thinned out feathers around the neck/shoulders, the sun's wing tips look very ragged, but I can't tell if that's from barbering or from poor space/other issues.

Also, the sun bit me :roflmao:

Attachments

Last edited:

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
Oh I got lucky with mine. No shrill calls, no flock notifications, totally silent during the day minus small vocal talking and beak clicking. The only time he makes noise is when he wants to go to bed STAT.

Congratulations on your new noisy crazy conures. They absolutely are a hoot; and I would still take mine even if he called like 99% of conures I have been around or seen on youtube. They might settle in once they are set up. Generally from my experience with 2 of them they tend to be calmer and quieter as they age.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oh I got lucky with mine. No shrill calls, no flock notifications, totally silent during the day minus small vocal talking and beak clicking. The only time he makes noise is when he wants to go to bed STAT.
These two are something else. They're so LOUD! Isadora is loud, but she doesn't hit the skull shattering pitch these two do.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I cannot stand aratinga conure yells. They are god awful :lol:

Pyrrhura are a bit better ;)

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
I've heard that from so many people who own larger birds; their macaw or 'too screams are easier to handle. Different pitches at the same decibel I think. Conures have that perfect match of what pitch sounds the loudest with being able to MAKE it the loudest.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)

They make my ear drums buzz. Even with my ear plugs :roflmao: I can hear them outside of my house better than I can hear Isadora!

These are the two I'd posted about before from the rescue website. The woman who'd taken them in after their owner passed and I talked a few more times, and she's made it sound like it's sort of a hospice situation. They've got an appointment next week at the vet, so we'll see what's up with them.

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

1 million % agree. I loved my Sun Conure Simba with all my heart he was so sweet but he would scream a single scream and I'd have an instant migraine and want to curl into a ball and die.
@Xoetix Is it completely understandable if your just a stepping stone for them into a new home. It definitely takes a special person to be able to withstand their skull shattering screams especially in stereo! Don't be like me and try to force yourself to keep them just because you feel obligated if there is another place they can go to that they would thrive at. I've been there done that and as @Mizzely can tell you I almost had a complete mental break down when I could have let him go to a wonderful rescue at least a year sooner and we both would have benefited much more from it.
I hope they will calm down the shrieking and yall can reach a happy medium while they are with you.

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh you got them! :heart:

Haha I have tough enough time when my cheekies do their morning and vacuum screams, can't imagine 2 suns. I wear noise cancelling headphones when I vacuum now and when they start screaming :lol:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
when I adopted my jenday I(he's 24) was amazed how his screams made my eardrums vibrate so uncomfortably. You are right, they just hit that perfect pitch to do that.
I have gotten used to it and he makes some sweet little chirpy noises and purrs too.
But yeah much more painful than a Blue crowned conure (they dont hit that same pitch), BH pionus, G2, Hahns, BFA or OWA.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I feel like I owe my budgies a debt of gratitude!

How are they doing now that you’re home? :)

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
completely understandable if your just a stepping stone for them into a new home
Depending on how the vet goes, that's pretty much my plan. If the vet says they've got a year or so, I'll learn to deal with the noise. If they've got ten years? Someone else can lose their hearing :roflmao: I am not a conure person and it took me less than a day to confirm it.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The biggest lie when researching conures is they are quiet flock calls and alarm calls exceed 100db no problem.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am glad you got them. Hopefully, health-wise they are okay. I have seen a lot of birds with beat up feathers from the cage being too small. That would be my guess for the one. You might want to look into some noise cancelling headphones. I have a couple friend who use them with their birds.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Update - Did y'all know conures can projectile poop?

I didn't.
All KiKi does her cage has the cleanest floor in parrot land, the downside our living room floor looks like a Jackson Pollock painting :nocomment:

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Lol!!! People almost never believe me when I say conures are louder than macaws and cockatoos! I'm glad to see you took these guys in after all. Please keep posting updates on them as they get settled!

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
If I were in your shoes I'd still return them. It doesn't matter if it's a year or ten if you don't like them. Nobody and nobirdy should live in forced relationships. The conures I've met have all been super active too so for me keeping my fosters separate due to species differences wasn't easy, giving them all adequate time and attention, and I can't imagine how much worse it would've been if they were a species I didn't care for.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
If I were in your shoes I'd still return them. It doesn't matter if it's a year or ten if you don't like them. Nobody and nobirdy should live in forced relationships. The conures I've met have all been super active too so for me keeping my fosters separate due to species differences wasn't easy, giving them all adequate time and attention, and I can't imagine how much worse it would've been if they were a species I didn't care for.
It's not a matter of returning them - they're a rescue situation, I posted a photo above of how they were living previously. I couldn't leave them like that, I'm too much of a bleeding heart. Ultimately, my goal is to find a home for them, or wait until a spot opens in a local rescue (they're presently all full, I'd contacted them about taking the conures before I took them in).