• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We need more pictures!!

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks Jan about the photos, I had been at the river all day, was hot and sweaty but my grandson, asked, will Paco step up and he does now. Clayton was so happy to take photos. I agree their nails are something else and he does have quite a grip!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Don't know why the same photo posted so many times. I'm still new to cell phone photography.

Good to know Michael about the grip. I didn't know if it was fear or not. He was a little wobbly and hanging on TIGHT! Clayton, my grandson took many photos but they came out blurry and I was telling him to hurry up. The longer Paco was on my arm the heavier he got. Whew! I'm just happy Paco is making great progress and it's only been 5 months. His diet has improved with a variety of food. The stinker was throwing his Nutri Berries, (different flavor so I thought it was that) now he is gobbling them up again. He gets bored, I swear! Eating pellets, his tail feathers are coming in and his wings are shiny, fluffy on his chest and under his neck.

Thank you all for your continued support and advice.

Next question, he is Mr. Chatterbox at night, will not go to sleep until I do. Is it ok he is a night owl? Can't cover him up, he is terrified of the blanket. I worry he isn't getting the 12 hours he is supposed to get?

My Zon screamed with demand to be covered and go to bed when the sun set and up when it was up.
Eeehhh, 12 hours...I don't honestly know just who came up with that. Yes they need their sleep, but 12 hours straight,..lol...they'll sleep when they are tired. Mine stay up to 10 pm, and up at crack of dawn.
When they are ready for bed they let me know. They don't make a fuss about it. But if I put them to bed too early they make a stink.

Last edited:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Michael, right now I'm going with the flow, lol. I'm old, I'm lucky if I get 8 hours of sleep! Paco hoots like an owl at 7 am so I'm up. He is such a gentlemen! I'm up at 5 but go back to bed. LOL

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Tinker will nap in the afternoon on the back of my chair while I am on the laptop doing whatever. Other than that he is in for around 8pm and wanting out at 7am. But he has to wait till I finish my breakfast and the stove cools down.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@BertAllen I'm not sure when Paco naps or if he does. I know my Zon napped in the afternoon. Paco seems to be up all day. I had a few down days and napped and when I woke up he was snoozing too. When I open the screen door to the room it will wake him up. I'm sure he must be o.k. he seems healthy and happy.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Hawk12237 I tried turning the light off at 9pm and he freaked. I did get worried even when I did turn off the big overhead, but I have a lamp by the bed, its a tough type so I turn that on low and turn off the fish tank, close the drapes to let him know nite, nite is coming. Then I turn off the overhead light and read a book. He flips upside down and walks that way across his cage and he sits and fluffs, not sure what that is. Then he settles down to preen. Trying to stick to a routine to help him learn what to expect.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm sure he must be o.k. he seems healthy and happy.
I think that is the best. I believe that they are individuals just like us. Some body needs sleep several times/ day and some needs a long night of sleep. If they seems happy and healthy I will say that they get enough sleep.
Trying to stick to a routine to help him learn what to expect.
That is also what I recommend. Everything goes so easy if you have routines. And they can adjust and sleep more during day if they need too.

I will not say that I know how many hrs sleep our parrots needs every night. Perhaps some needs 12, and some needs only 8.
And if they seems healthy and not having any anguish or behaviour problem I think everyone should continue doing what they are doing.
You don't fix anything if it ain't broken.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Eloy I know I worry to much about Paco. After losing Bugsy suddenly I guess I'm being over cautious. You may not know her story. Bugs was my wild caught Amazon. She was always healthy, no issues and then bam, was moving slow, (I honestly thought it was old age) I had her for 25 years and did not know how old she was when I got her. She went down fast, not perching, not screaming, off to vet we went and I found this site. Two days at the vet and on the third day I decided to put her down. It broke me in two. I wasn't going to make her live her life at the bottom of a cage on meds. I have since gotten Paco and want to ensure I do everything right. I post here often for advice and direction.

I'll have to remind myself not to fix something that is not broken.

Thank you for your response.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Paco's diet gets better every day, munching on cucumber, it's green! He has a phobia for green veggies. 20190813_190352.jpg

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
@Snowghost He is so handsome and that is great that he is being more healthy. :)
I did leave a comment to you on your profile side for some day's ago.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Eloy, I didn't know I could get messages on my profile side. Thanks, Paco's feathers are coming in slowly but he is getting fuzzy and now has about 3 bright red tail feathers getting longer with about 2 more starting. I can't wait til he is fully feathered!