• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Walking the walk (with MC) **UPDATE**

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well, no diagnosis of cancer so lets not say it is until it is...MC has some secrets & lets hope the are good ones...Sorry its really hard for me not to think that way as its knocked on my door & Dr's said oh chances are its not & it WAS!!!!
Still we don't know & not even Dr's really ever really know what kind of Thing it is. Now you have a wake up call that reminds us we have to treasure everyday & try to face each one with hope & a smile as there are so many things in life & this world that try to get us down... :sadhug2:

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Who says he is spoiled.....
I believe that its every captive pet's right to be spoiled :aarules:

Thank you for sharing your updates with us :bighug: I'm not as on as frequently as before, but I just wanted to let you know that I am still thinking of you and sending MC lots of :heart::heart::heart: and :hug4::hug4::hug4:

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Goodluck to you and your feathered friend. We are here to support and comfort! :bluhug:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Thanks to all. He's getting sweet potatoes daily, he prefers those over the chop. Secret thinks she's missing out and has started getting a little sweet potato now in the evening.

Patience

Meeting neighbors
Clueless, outliving any loved one is the greatest gift we can give, I think. I hope you get plenty of good time with your friend MC before you need to think on this though. He looks wonderful!

Prayers.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I've been thinking about you two a lot lately :sadhug2:I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I'm going through a similar thing with Chirp, he also has a mass (his is inside his beak) and we don't know what it is either.

I'm going to tell you what everyone has told me: You do what you can, you care for them and give them all your love as long as they are around. You can only do so much, and you can't beat yourself up over any of it- MC needs you to stay strong for him. He knows that you're doing everything you can for him.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have no advice Clueless but I know you are struggling with this. Been there a couple times. No answer is easy.
Praying for wisdom and courage for you my friend.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I've been thinking about you two a lot lately :sadhug2:I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I'm going through a similar thing with Chirp, he also has a mass (his is inside his beak) and we don't know what it is either.

I'm going to tell you what everyone has told me: You do what you can, you care for them and give them all your love as long as they are around. You can only do so much, and you can't beat yourself up over any of it- MC needs you to stay strong for him. He knows that you're doing everything you can for him.
You've been on my mind also.

I'm just trying to keep my sanity and remembering it's okay to leave the house to KEEP my sanity.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
You've been on my mind also.

I'm just trying to keep my sanity and remembering it's okay to leave the house to KEEP my sanity.
Believe me, I've been doing the same thing. It's hard at first but sometimes you just gotta, for your own mental health. I've found nature to work wonders, if that's an option for you.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Believe me, I've been doing the same thing. It's hard at first but sometimes you just gotta, for your own mental health. I've found nature to work wonders, if that's an option for you.
I'm with you.

The first days are the worst. We just have to acknowledge that it's okay to not be okay at first. We have a huge community that gets it. They acknowledge our feelings when family and friends don't understand. We're blessed in so many ways. So are our feathered dudes. MC could easily have spent his remaining days without clean water, awesome wooden toys, and sweet potatoes to his hearts content.

Hugs.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Clueless dunno why I"m not getting notifications when you post or any one else on this thread. Any who, hang in there sweetie, and yes I understand how "clueless" not bird people are. We are here for you!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think about you and MC every day and keep you in my prayers.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Okay.... I'm coming in having read some posts.... and I'm hoping that I can answer some of your questions about having a CT scan performed. I'm a veterinary nurse and I work at a teaching hospital in their ZooMed department.

Where are you located?

CT scans are one of the lowest risk procedures that i can think of for our patients. Even if contrast is used usually just a heavy (reversible) sedation can be used to help calm them and keep them still for the scan. The whole scan takes 5(ish) minutes and they're monitored closely the whole time. If there's suspicion of a mass and the source/extent is unknown then I would 100% go forward with the scan. It's something that we typically recommend before a surgical procedure so we know what we're getting into. It won't tell you what specifically the mass is but it will tell you what blood supply it has and what it's near/potentially adhered to.

If nothing else it can help you make a decision going forward. The situation sucks. A lot. But for me having more information is always better than having less. I am more than happy to answer any sort of questions that you have to the best of my ability, I know (from personal experience) that these situations are exhausting and frustrating while you're trying to do the best for your little one.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Just wish (and pray) that tumor would disappear.....
Or... we can work on making it disappear. :D

If you have not been introduced before, let's meet @Milo . She works at a facility that would take this on, only 2 1/2 hours from you if my calculations are right. :)
Let's get her what she needs to help us.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is a opportunity for MC to get that chance he deserves so very much.
@Milo is there a possibility that a biopsy can be taken while MC is asleep for the CT scan?

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Here is a opportunity for MC to get that chance he deserves so very much.
@Milo is there a possibility that a biopsy can be taken while MC is asleep for the CT scan?
So

That depends on the type of sample theyre looking to get. The easiest method would be a needle aspirate and that can absolutely be done while he’s under for the CT. I don’t think we would do anything more invasive then that until the docs looked at the CT results to get a better idea for vasculature in the mass, what it’s near, etc