• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Vomiting budgie

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
Hi, I am kind of concerned right now. My lutino, female, 6 month budgie, Chicky, has been vomiting all morning. She ate only seeds for about 3 days upto today because I ran out of vegetables and we had to wait to get more for her chop. She was vomiting a bit before but I assumed that was regurgitation because she did an up and down motion and always made happy mating sounds during it. She also had no side symptoms. But today, she is vomiting seeds and clear liquid, she is fluffed up, her crop is swollen, and she’s sleeping a lot. Her head is stained with vomit. I’m so worried. Is this because of the diet change or is this a vet now situation? It’s about 5pm now and she has been vomiting all morning. Mickey has been preening her, and caring for her. Please help, the vet here doesn’t open till Monday.

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
I wanted to include though, her poops and breathing is normal. She is preening herself actively but she is also sleeping a lot. Here’s a photo though:
90D5995A-7D62-47CD-8C92-50DAE7D090F7.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If your bird has been vomiting all morning (and before today also) I would be calling the vet to be seen ASAP.

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
Thanks for the reply. The vet here is closed until Monday. Is there anything I can do until then?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Vomiting, sleeping a lot, fluffed up, crop swollen (?)... these are usually signs something is not quite right.

ACV might help a little or it may do nothing- we have no idea what the problem is that’s causing the vomiting but I doubt giving it (ACV) would cause any problems so maybe go ahead and put some in the water.

Is there a chance your bird is overeating if there has been a change in what you’re feeding?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Not until you see a vet with the bird. Likely crop infection or avian gastric yeast. Hold off on veggies until vomiting stops. Have you checked for emergency clinics that are open? ACV slows down yeast growth, does not cure.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope your bird will be okay, and that you can get her to a vet!

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
Okay, I just need a temporary solution for now until I can get her to the vet even if it’s not a complete cure. I hope this will help a little but how much ACV into how much water?

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
Vomiting, sleeping a lot, fluffed up, crop swollen (?)... these are usually signs something is not quite right.

ACV might help a little or it may do nothing- we have no idea what the problem is that’s causing the vomiting but I doubt giving it (ACV) would cause any problems so maybe go ahead and put some in the water.

Is there a chance your bird is overeating if there has been a change in what you’re feeding?
She has definitely been overeating. She always does that, especially with hard boiled eggs and seeds.

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
Update:
She is running and flying around now. Hasn't vomited yet but yea. Can I get more info on ACV?

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
Oh and just to confirm, I shouldn't give her veggies now right?

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
And she just vomited and she's sleepy too :( she was fine until she ate her seeds...

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
Can you please help me? She’s vomiting again :(

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
It’s like her body isn’t digesting any food

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’d keep her in a quiet warm area and stop her flying about till you have her seen by the vet.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Could be over eating, could be something wrong with the food, could be something that needs meds- either way the best thing to do till your vet says otherwise is limit activity and keep her warm and quiet.
I really don’t know if that will help tbh