• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Vomiting budgie

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
Thanks, I’ll do that. It’s 8 am now and she is still asleep (we wake up late on weekends) but she is still doing bad. I checked for other avian vets too. It’s just that any veterinary hospital that has an avian vet is closed until Monday. And it’s the same with exotic animal vets too. I just don’t know what to do. It’s so frustrating.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please take a photo of the seed you are feeding her. Sometimes seed can be bad or infected with critters. Many of us freeze the bag before opening to kill any larvae. If you want you can put some ACV with mother or unfiltered in drinking water. Just remember its not a medication or reason not to see a vet. 2 tsp. per quart of fresh water. There is no odor present when in the water. Use it up and keep the quart in refrigerator until finished. Regular vets will sometimes check a bird.

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
Please take a photo of the seed you are feeding her. Sometimes seed can be bad or infected with critters. Many of us freeze the bag before opening to kill any larvae. If you want you can put some ACV with mother or unfiltered in drinking water. Just remember its not a medication or reason not to see a vet. 2 tsp. per quart of fresh water. There is no odor present when in the water. Use it up and keep the quart in refrigerator until finished. Regular vets will sometimes check a bird.
Sure. I have never seen any critters or bad seeds in the mix but I'll attach a photo of it. It's this seed pellet blend that I'm not too proud of but it's the thing they'll eat because they came on it. If I try to switch them into something else, they would rather starve. I'll freeze it next time. Thanks :) I didn't know about that. And I found the ACV amounts on another thread (2tsp per quart) and I'm doing it. And yes, I do know that this is not medication. I'm only using it as a temporary solution until I can get her an appointment tomorrow. I'll call first thing in the morning as soon as they open. I called a few regular canine and feline vets but they simply said they don't treat birds :(
20210228_170211.jpg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ok. I am not familiar with that seed. Hopefully the vet will do a gram stain.

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
Okay, I have some good and bad news. The bad news is that none of the avian vets near me would give me an appointment today or even during this week. But the good news is that I found an avian vet HOSPITAL just for birds a few hours away and they were able to give me an appointment today. On the website it said the vet there has been treating birds for 22 years and has studied avian medicine and surgery. Does this sound okay? I'm planning on bringing her in because she's still walking around, eating, drinking, and flying. It is still an emergency but I'm sure she can do the car ride.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Okay, I have some good and bad news. The bad news is that none of the avian vets near me would give me an appointment today or even during this week. But the good news is that I found an avian vet HOSPITAL just for birds a few hours away and they were able to give me an appointment today. On the website it said the vet there has been treating birds for 22 years and has studied avian medicine and surgery. Does this sound okay? I'm planning on bringing her in because she's still walking around, eating, drinking, and flying. It is still an emergency but I'm sure she can do the car ride.
Yes, I think that sounds okay. I'm glad you're getting her seen today.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This is good news and I hope all is good with your little bird. Please let us know.

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
I am at the vet and one of the staff members just took her in. They said she'll be back in about 30 minutes. Hoping for the best. They said they'll put her in the incubator until the doctor can take a look. They also said she's eating great. Now I need to eat something and get some sleep. I haven't slept well for the past two days worrying for the next day. She kept calling for Mickey who's miles and miles away during the car ride and I felt so bad :(

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
The vet just got back to me and they detected yeast growth in her stool. He is gonna prescribe a medication that I would have to give her for a month. The cost wasn't exactly affordable but her life is very important.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So glad you got a diagnosis and some meds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So glad it's something treatable and hope she feels better soon.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sorry for the AGY diagnosis. The med may be Ampo B. Its the most effective treatment. I hope it works In the meantime i suggest a daily weight to track any weight loss, even if she appears to be eating well. Get some rest yourself. By the way AGY can be contageous to other birds.I

Are you giving the med by syringe?

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Now that things are more controlled you can begin another thread in budgies forum. Maybe call it recovery from AGY.

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
Sorry for the AGY diagnosis. The med may be Ampo B. Its the most effective treatment. I hope it works In the meantime i suggest a daily weight to track any weight loss, even if she appears to be eating well. Get some rest yourself. By the way AGY can be contageous to other birds.I

Are you giving the med by syringe?
Thanks for the advice :) The med the vet prescribed is called Aphotericin B. I chose the banana flavor because apparently most birds prefer it. It’ll be ready for pickup tomorrow in the evening. And I’ll definitely try to weigh her every morning. I am not too sure how to give her the medicine but the doctor said orally using a syringe with a towel hold. Can I get more info on how to do this? I can call the vet but I’d like more of a visual representation like a video...

Shilpa

Real Name
Shilpa
Never mind. It is Amphotericin B, not Aphotericin B. So yea, Ampo B :)