• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Volkman Avian Science Super Hookbill alternatives

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is anyone who is feeding this finding lots of sticks and other kinds of weird "stuff" in the seed mix? My previous order of two 20 bags had lots of sticks and other unwanted things and
my most recent order of the same was worse. Sticks, weird seed pod stuff, a few peanuts in shell and sunflower seeds, some hard round brown thing (reminded me of a Whopper Malt ball).
The food does not come with in shell peanuts or sunflower but I know sometimes when they finish a run of a different type of seed mix some of the remnants of that can wind up in the food so I understand that happening.
However the sticks and other unwanted extras are not acceptable. I've been in contact with their customer service (very good by the way) and quality control and they
are checking into this. I am not comfortable using the food I received so until this is corrected I need an alternative. Does anyone have any suggestions....no sunflowers, no
pistachios and no extra added sugar? I've been looking through the other Volkman seed mixes and can't find anything without sunflower besides the Avian Science hookbill and cockatiel I use. The cockatiel no sunflower has been OK
This food would be for my dusky conure, Amazons, 'toos, and Pois. They all get pellets, a few get Sr. nutriberries and the dusky gets cockatiel seed mixed with
the hookbill but they also get seed mix and right now I need a replacement. I've been using Volkman seed for a LONG time and this is the first time I've seen this amount of sticks and other weird things in the food. Only seen
about 2 or 3 sticks in the past and very infrequently.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
BTW, so far I've checked out Higgins and wasn't thrilled with the choices.
Going to continue to go through the bird seeds listed on Chewy but wanted to know what others are using
and seem to be happy with. Volkman should be getting back to me in a day or two regarding the last order.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that is sunflower and pistachio free, and no added sugar, is Higgins Mayan Harvest Tikal or Yucatan

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Tbh I am not happy with any of the big name seed mixes these days :lol:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This is what I'm using for Ripley right now. It's not bad; I wish it had less dry fruits is all as he doesn't really eat them.

PXL_20230503_002007608.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You could build your own mix through Nuts. No safflower seeds but could add those separately if your birds like it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that is sunflower and pistachio free, and no added sugar, is Higgins Mayan Harvest Tikal or Yucatan
The Harvest Tikal has sunflower seeds although supposedly low in those and I could pick those out but it also has cashews and raisins which the Yucatan also contains. Some of my birds can have cashews but others can't and can't have birds flinging raisins out of the cage which they might do because used to get a seed mix with raisins way back when. Have to be careful with raisins on the floor and my dogs getting to them before I can because they are toxic to dogs. Could pick all of those ingredients out of the food but I'd prefer not to do that. Already pick the peanuts out of the Volkman. Not a fan of nuts.com. Thanks for the suggestions, though. So far coming up empty.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
T
This is what I'm using for Ripley right now. It's not bad; I wish it had less dry fruits is all as he doesn't really eat them.

Goldenfeast might work but I'd have to pull the cashews out for some of the birds. They have a variety of blends so will look through those. Have to get a variety for the larger parrots and another for the smaller guys.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sorry, I only saw you were avoiding pistachios, sunflowers, and sugar in your first post! I am not sure what options exist currently.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mizzely Where do you purchase the Goldenfeast from? Many bird seed mixes don't contain cashews or raisins so I didn't even think about that.
I prefer no peanuts but I'm used to picking them out. I think I might try the Goldenfeast Aussie blend. I can pick out the cashews as well as peanuts. Haven't looked through the large parrot selections yet.

The Volkman Super Hookbill is perfect for them except for the peanuts and now all the "junk" that's winding up in it. They've been on eating that for many years.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I haven't looked at the ingredients list, but some more obscure places to check out:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Mizzely Where do you purchase the Goldenfeast from?
I tried Amazon and someone sent me a bag that was due to expire in 10 days :lol: So I got this bag directly from them. Unfortunately no one seems to carry it that also carries my pellets!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Amazon blend might work and the cashews look big enough to pick out for the birds who can't have that.

There's no one local to me that sells Goldenfeast. Omar's has it but not really close and I stopped going there
several years ago due to an incident with one of their managers.

Have to be careful with Amazon and pet foods sometimes. I generally order from Chewy or directly from the manufacturer when possible.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I rarely buy any pet food on Amazon. Prefer Chewy myself, but they carry none of my bird food (Harrison's, Psittacus, or Goldenfeast). And no one carries all 3 :rofl: Plus Bosco the linnie has his own seed mix I get from the Linnie Forum person. No one local carries it either, so I am stuck buying online. So yeah, it's fun :p

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I buy from multiple sources, too. Caitec for Oven Fresh Bites, Volkman for seed mixes and Lafeber for Sr. Nutriberries and then there is Mazuri which I either buy directly from them or Chewy.
I can buy the seed mix and nurtiberries from Chewy, too, but I prefer to purchase directly from Volkman and Lafeber. What do you feed Bosco?
I've tried Harrison's and nobody here will eat that. :D Unfortunately Caitec OFB has sunflower seeds listed in the ingredients but they don't get a lot of those pellets.

Then there's the dog food. I can buy the canned from Chewy but it's actually cheaper at Petsmart. I have to go to a feed store to get the dry food since local pet stores and Chewy don't carry the brands I use.
Limited bird supplies at that feed store.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Luke is on Iams Large Breed but its like $10 more for a 40 lb bag in town than it is on Chewy or through Petco autoship. If I only need dog food, Petco wins because every 11th bag is free.

This is what I got for Bosco. :) Lineolated Parakeet

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I get a large bag Fromm grain-free for Kosmo and Red Barn Whole Grain Ocean as well as Wellness Lamb and Beef Stew for Caleb. He can not have certain ingredients in his food so it's hard to find food for him. Every time I find a wet food it gets discontinued permanently or temporarily. I get a free bag of Fromm after 12 purchases so my next one will be free.

Interesting food for Bosco. I'd have more choices for the birds if I didn't want to eliminate a few ingredients. If something is easy to pick out it might be OK.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Can you still get goldenfeast Australian blend? That is what I used to feed my cockatiels but then I couldn't find it anymore.

You could try my safe bird store. Kathy used to be a member here. She has some of her own blends that might work for you. She lists all the ingredients in each blend. You would just need to look through them.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I can get in Goldenfeast. When they sold out to Versele Laga, the sizes available changed, some ingredients changed, and the price went up.

If I can help, let me know and I can get it for you.

:)