• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Volkman Avian Science Super Hookbill alternatives

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The reviews for the lovebird/conure Goldenfeast aren't great whereas the ones for the larger bird blend are better.
Can you still get goldenfeast Australian blend? That is what I used to feed my cockatiels but then I couldn't find it anymore.

You could try my safe bird store. Kathy used to be a member here. She has some of her own blends that might work for you. She lists all the ingredients in each blend. You would just need to look through them.
I found it on the Goldenfeast website. I used to shop at my safe bird store but no longer shop there but thanks for the suggestion.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can get in Goldenfeast. When they sold out to Versele Laga, the sizes available changed, some ingredients changed, and the price went up.

If I can help, let me know and I can get it for you.

:)
Thanks

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
I can get in Goldenfeast. When they sold out to Versele Laga, the sizes available changed, some ingredients changed, and the price went up.
Was that recent? I know Kathy at My Safe Bird Store recently stopped carrying GoldenFeast because of some changes they made. On the website it says "As a result of recent unfavorable changes on the part of Goldenfeast Foods, we are electing to discontinue this food line. As our current stock depletes, we will be removing it from our site." She has replaced it with a line called Golden Gourmet which I'd not heard of before.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Was that recent? I know Kathy at My Safe Bird Store recently stopped carrying GoldenFeast because of some changes they made. On the website it says "As a result of recent unfavorable changes on the part of Goldenfeast Foods, we are electing to discontinue this food line. As our current stock depletes, we will be removing it from our site." She has replaced it with a line called Golden Gourmet which I'd not heard of before.
My understanding, if memory serves me correctly, is that Goldenfeast stopped selling to My Safe Bird Store because she was opening bags and selling them as bulk food by the pound, and Goldenfeast did not like that as it made it harder to ensure quality control.

This was several years ago, like probably over 5 years ago. ETA: looked into it and it was about 8 years ago that she stopped selling it.

Golden Gourmet is a house blend that she makes or repackages, I'm not sure which.

They were bought by Versele-Laga in 2018.

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
My understanding, if memory serves me correctly, is that Goldenfeast stopped selling to My Safe Bird Store because she was opening bags and selling them as bulk food by the pound, and Goldenfeast did not like that as it made it harder to ensure quality control.

This was several years ago, like probably over 5 years ago. ETA: looked into it and it was about 8 years ago that she stopped selling it.

Golden Gourmet is a house blend that she makes or repackages, I'm not sure which.

They were bought by Versele-Laga in 2018.
Ah ha, that makes perfect sense. Didn't realize she stopped carrying it that long ago.