• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Very worried after vet appointment Bleeding from nostrils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sending up lots of prayers for Max and you.....:heart::heart::hug8::hug8::heart::heart:

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Yikes....I am not too sure about this vet...might want to start looking for another one...

So relieved the bleeding stopped. But I would still be very worried about the dark poops. Keep him close to you tonight so you can keep an eye on him. Thanks Gary for your help.

Ariahna

Sprinting down the street
Oh, and I have noticed some more liquid on the outside of his right nostril, it's not bright red but I'm going to go clean it off and see if it returns. She didn't notice the color of the poop, it's something that I saw when I got him home.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Okay again, the vet should have kept your bird overnight for emergency care and monitoring. Dark poo's mean that he's bleeding internally. Is this an avian vet??? I would call another vet right now and get him in there. I am not trying to alarm you but I am not going to say I think this vet has done the right thing. Something is wrong and this vet doesn't seem to know what she's doing. Please call another vet and get another opinion. Call now before the office is closed for the day and you have to go to an emergency vet center.

Ginger

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
is slipper elm something I can readily find? and where?
Health Food store.... I have found it at Walmart in capsule form.... pop it open, mix with water.... it gets kinda gelatinous

Ariahna

Yes, she is an avian vet and the only one in the 300,000 population city. She happens to only be about 2 miles away from me as well, but she is new. He just went into his happy hut which is not normal for him and I could not get him to eat the toast with cayenne. :( Off to find slippery elm

Ariahna

Ginger, I'll be back in a bit, I live in Wichita. KC is 4 hours away

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I'm so very, very worried. Please, please get him to another vet today.

Ginger

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
if he was swallowing a lot of blood that could also cause his poops to have dark blood in them. I would keep monitoring his poops. Have the number and know the location of an emergency vet on hand that will see exotics in case you have to take him in later.

SallyQZ

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
You must be frantic with worry, I'm desperately hoping and praying that this is just a minor incident. :(

:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Good call Chris, but still, I just don't like it. I don't like how he acted right after and how he is acting now. He needs to be monitored by an avian vet and maybe even have an xray to see if there is internal damage that is causing the bleeding. This is not normal.

Ginger

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Slippery Elm you should be able to get at a drugstore. You said you live in Witchita?

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
If the vet suspected internal bleeding IMO she should have prescribed Sulcrate oral solution. We keep Sulcrate on hand here but use slippery elm as I have seen how it works.

The dark colored poops could be from blood in the upper GI tract or it could be from not eating much and low on hydration. If you have not left for the store yet, pick up some children's plain pedialyte for hydration.

Gary

Blackford

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne
I was so glad to hear you are home- BUT it does not sound good in regards to this vet! Is there somewhere else you can take him now? If he is acting that unusual something is very wrong.

Trust your instincts. Please find another qualified vet. You say she is the only vet? Is there a zoo/animal park in your town/city/state? They have qualified vets for exotics and could help you in an emergency, Im trying to think of any other options available to you

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
[h=1]Prairie Avian & Exotic Animal Clinic[/h]
Prairie Avian & Exotic Animal Clinic

[h=1]Wichita, KS[/h]67218

Phone: (316) 682-5335

Not sure if you said where you took your bird but this is a listing with 24 hour emergency

Blackford

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne
I just found this, is this your current vet?

[h=1]Prairie Avian & Exotic Animal Clinic[/h]
Prairie Avian & Exotic Animal Clinic

[h=1]Wichita, KS[/h]67218

Phone: (316) 682-5335

Status
Not open for further replies.