• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Very worried after vet appointment Bleeding from nostrils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariahna

Sprinting down the street
Today I made an appointment to take P.J. and Max in to see their avian vet. P.J. has seen her before for a wellness check right after I got him, and this was Max's first visit for a wellness check, nail trimming, and DNA sex test because he and my daughter's GCC Kiwi seem to really love each other.

I wanted P.J. seen because his right foot is still a little discolored (orange), he needed his nails trimmed, and overall I just wanted him looked at since he is molting. I know probably a little paranoid, but what can I say. Since he was there, I decided to have a baseline bloodwork done. Well one of P.J.s toenails was clipped too short and bled, and he did really good getting blood drawn from his neck but I couldn't watch it. He didn't squeak or anything. His feathers were all ruffled and I think he shed several in the toweling process but overall did well. He's not too happy right now, he immediately flew to my shoulder where he proceeded to give me the cold shoulder. He wanted to be close to me but he definitely wanted me to know he was not happy about what I let happen to him.

Next came Max. He got his nails trimmed, one was cut too short on him too and he squeaked. Then she went for the vein in the neck on him and had to try twice before getting any blood. He squeaked each time. I don't think she was happy with the amount she got but after the second time he looked really stressed to me and I said that to her so she released him. He flew straight to me where he sat looking like he might pass out. He could barely keep his eyes open and his wings were drooping. He has not acted normal since and I'm very concerned for him and what might have happened when she missed the vein in his neck.

P.J. has a strange little growth on the underside of his tongue. I have noticed it before but I don't know what a normal bird tongue is supposed to look like. She is going to do a little more research on that and when the blood work gets back that may shed some light as well. So as you can imagine I am a worried nervous wreck right now. I'm staying close to these two this afternoon and night. They are both sleeping right now, but Max is definitely not his normal chipper self. :(

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Re: Very worried after vet appointment

You need to get him in a warm quiet place with plenty of fluids. What did the vet say about his condition? Not saying anything agains't your vet but I am always pro-active with the fids. I went to another vet when the first one wanted to do an xray on Truely without any twilight to keep her calm. He got all pi$$y and told me he knew what he was doing, but just the same I knew it would stress her to the max to have her wings taped down to the plate. The new vet agreed with me.

Ginger

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy

He's probably sleepy and stressed from the vet exam. Try to let him just relax tonight and stay calm. When I had a lot of blood drawn a few months ago I almost fainted after and was weak and tired the rest of the day. I just went back to bed.

I hope nothing comes of the tongue bump and the blood results are on par! Keep us updated!!

Ariahna

Well good and bad news. Max is doing a little better, and to my very fortunate luck my Avian Organics order arrived today. When the birds started to stir a little I had all sorts of wonderful goodies to offer like the papaya crisps, and jungle trail mix. Right now they are happily eating Mayan Mash for the first time. So that's the good news. The bad news is that I noticed little blood drops in front of Max's cage. My daughter put him away while I put P.J. away. There are even some blood droplets in his wooden perch. So his bleeding had not stopped before we left the vet's office. I just had him in a white travel cage for about 5 minutes and even with him scratching himself, I didn't see any new blood. I checked his feet and it doesn't look like it would have come from there. So I am guessing it is the vein in his neck. I am going to pray that the holes have finally closed off. I would love to give him a shower but I don't want to open anything up or cause him any more stress today.

P.J. seems fine even though he had much more blood drawn.

OMG there is blood on Max's [late got to go

Blackford

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne

Just the trip to the vet can be super stressful, let alone if this strange person handles them and also causes them some form of pain (the needle)

He would be very stressed and upset after it. Absolutely keep him hydrated, he would love some warm mash from you on a spoon too Id say. Maybe warm vegies or some oats or something else he loves thats warm and also mushy.

I dont blame you for being worried. Its awfully hard to relax with them at all let alone when trips to the vet are involved.

:hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris

Vet exams can be very stressful on them. They are taken out of their normal environment and then handled by someone they dont know. Often doing things that kind of scare them. Keep him warm and let him rest.

As far as the growth under the tongue check out this thread. Jill went through something like this with one of her birds http://forums.avianavenue.com/healt...rowth-wyatts-lilac-crowned-amazon-tongue.html

Blackford

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne

Well good and bad news. Max is doing a little better, and to my very fortunate luck my Avian Organics order arrived today. When the birds started to stir a little I had all sorts of wonderful goodies to offer like the papaya crisps, and jungle trail mix. Right now they are happily eating Mayan Mash for the first time. So that's the good news. The bad news is that I noticed little blood drops in front of Max's cage. My daughter put him away while I put P.J. away. There are even some blood droplets in his wooden perch. So his bleeding had not stopped before we left the vet's office. I just had him in a white travel cage for about 5 minutes and even with him scratching himself, I didn't see any new blood. I checked his feet and it doesn't look like it would have come from there. So I am guessing it is the vein in his neck. I am going to pray that the holes have finally closed off. I would love to give him a shower but I don't want to open anything up or cause him any more stress today.

P.J. seems fine even though he had much more blood drawn.

OMG there is blood on Max's [late got to go
You posted at the same time as me....

That is not good he is still bleeding.... If it is not his nails, when the vet missed the vein its possible the site (wound if you will) maybe he messed with it overnight and has caused it to bleed.

Have you got some cayenne pepper? Make a paste with it and put it on his neck if you can find where the needle went. It wouldnt hurt to put it on his nails aswell just in case

:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger

What did the vet say? Please let us know what's happening. Does he need to go back? If you don't have have Super clot you can put on a paste of cayenne pepper, it will stop the bleeding.

Ginger

Ariahna

what can I do to stop the bleeding in his neck? the vet said it should stop with pressure. I've never dealt with this before. she said i could bring him back in but I don't want to stress him out if I can do this from home with instructions but I have to act fast they are only open another 25 minutes

Ariahna

I don't have super clot will just cayenne pepper work? I have corn starch as well, he is on my shoulder and smells like blood

Ariahna

He is bleeding from his nostrils, oh my God.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris

Take him to the vet it sounds like his blood pressure is really high

Blackford

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne

Try to keep calm for HIM.... Its very hard but he needs you to be strong for him. :heart::hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger

Stay calm, get him back to the vet ASAP. Call her right now and tell her that he's hemoraging.

Ginger

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I moved this to the 911 section

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Oh no!! Please let us know what happens at the vets. I'm thinking of you two!!!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Take him to the vet. While they are still open.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Now Im worried, ...let us know. :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
manymany prayers on the way..please keep us posted!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.