• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Using nebuliser for IRN, please help

noribirds

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
nori
Since my female developed a upper respiratory tract infection, she has a hard time breathing through her nostrils which sometimes become blocked. We’ve already been to the vet yesterday and she’s getting meds but I’m thinking about using a nebuliser at home for her to help with the respiratory issues.

However I have no idea what to put in and I called the vet clinic to ask but they said that the vet is outstation for the next 2 days.

As far as I’m aware (I could be wrong) they usually use salbutamol and saline right? Can anyone who uses nebulisers for their birds help me? Or should I just wait 2 days until the vet comes back? I would really like to nebulise her though.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@saroj12 may be able to give a little of her experience here.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I wouldn't use any medication without the OK of the vet - my vet prescribed several different medications for my birds ( for aspergillosis ). I don't have any idea what the affects of any of them were, You can use plain 0.9% sterile saline solution - you can get this at the drug store in individual ampules. But you need to watch your bird closely to see what effect the nebulization has on her.

I would definitely wait for the Dr. before adding medication and I would stop nebulization immediately if you see any detrimental effects.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Definitely wait for the vet’s prescription. I’ve nebulized two birds recommendEd by the vet. it made one bird very hyper and the vet said to stop. He gets plain oxygen once a week as continued therapy.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd be inclined to take her into a warm, steamy room before trying to nebulise her with any medication. Run a hot shower, take her (and a perch/playstand or something for her to sit on) and just hang out in there for 15 minutes or so.