• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

URGENT!!-Lovebirds ate plastic, what should i do???

jollyjoe

Moving in
My dad let our lovebirds out in the house and some pieces are missing from the fake plants (which are made from plastic). I am freaking out cause none of my parents want to call the vet or anything, and i read some articles about plastic hurting birds. I don't know if they really ate it or not, but some parts are missing from those god darn plants and i don't know what to do :( i really don't want to lose them

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are they pooping, eating, drinking and acting normally? If they are I think it's possible they might not have swallowed the plastic as well. I know my bird gave me fright before where I was sure he'd swallowed some plastic bit too and was about to usher him to an emergency vet when I found the missing piece on the ground. If it's softer plastic like fake leaves then you might have a harder time finding any pieces.

If they are acting, eating, drinking and pooping any differently though then I would definitely convince your parents that a vet visit is needed asap

jollyjoe

Moving in
Are they pooping, eating, drinking and acting normally? If they are I think it's possible they might not have swallowed the plastic as well. I know my bird gave me fright before where I was sure he'd swallowed some plastic bit too and was about to usher him to an emergency vet when I found the missing piece on the ground. If it's softer plastic like fake leaves then you might have a harder time finding any pieces.

If they are acting, eating, drinking and pooping any differently though then I would definitely convince your parents that a vet visit is needed asap
Well they both are eating (as i am typing this), they pooped a few times while i was watching them, but i didn't see them drink yet. Thank you so much for your reply, it made me calm down a bit!

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well they both are eating (as i am typing this), they pooped a few times while i was watching them, but i didn't see them drink yet.
I'm glad that they seem to be acting normal. :) I would keep an close eye on them for the day just to be on the safe side.

Thank you so much for your reply, it made me calm down a bit!
No worries haha, I only know the feeling of panic all too well when fids are involved :D

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
How much did they eat? Make sure they drink and eat alot as it might end up passing through into their poop.
Keep a close eye on them, and note any out of order behaviours. Hope all is okay!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you have peanut butter without xylitol, pumpkin purée or almond butter then I’d suggest feeding that to help grab any foreign objects that you bird may have eaten so they pass it- these foods can sometimes help.
Keep a very close eye on your bird for changes in behaviour, appetite or energy levels.

jollyjoe

Moving in
How much did they eat? Make sure they drink and eat alot as it might end up passing through into their poop.
Keep a close eye on them, and note any out of order behaviours. Hope all is okay!
I'm not sure, maybe they haven't eaten anything at all, but i don't remember how the fake plants looked like before they were out of their cage. I'll ask my dad to watch them for the day since i'll be at school. Thanks for your reply!

jollyjoe

Moving in
If you have peanut butter without xylitol, pumpkin purée or almond butter then I’d suggest feeding that to help grab any foreign objects that you bird may have eaten so they pass it- these foods can sometimes help.
Keep a very close eye on your bird for changes in behaviour, appetite or energy levels.
Is home made pumpkin purée good? I mean if i bake the pumpkin after i chopped it up and make it into a purée. If that works i can buy pumpkin omw home. Thanks for the reply!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yes home made is perfectly suitable if your birds will eat it.
I actually have never seen or had it any other way lol.