• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Updated Info - Post #1 Cage Brand Information

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Anyone know about the cages at cages4less?? It doesn't seem to have a brand name.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Anyone know about the cages at cages4less?? It doesn't seem to have a brand name.
I'm pretty sure that most of their cages are just other brand cages without the names... I know they sell a&e, Avian Adventures, I think King's, some others...

brandy2103

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Brandy
Do you all know anything about the cages that are sold at bird shows in Alabama and Georgia. I did not see brand names. Thanks!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Do you all know anything about the cages that are sold at bird shows in Alabama and Georgia. I did not see brand names. Thanks!
So sorry :o: Would have no idea what kinds of cages they are without brand names or at least photos!!

pineview01

If the cages are new, some have a very small paper lable. If they are used or someone helps along the lables come off. I sure liked it when the name was permently applied.

pchela

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
I have two Avian Adventure Cages... one is older, made before the company was sold to Midwest and one is newer, post sell. The old one is much sturdier and obviously well made down to the casters. The new ones are plastic, the old ones are the nice, sturdy metal ones. The food dish holders in the new one pop out constantly which is irritating and the seed guards fall off if you barely bump them. The playtop perch on the old one is nice and thick and pretty; the new one is way to thin a piece of wood for the size of the cage and is wobbly because it's not screwed in properly. Even the brand name plaque is a stick on cardboard thing on the new one. The old one has a nice metal plaque with the Avian Adventures logo on it. The old one does have a tiny bit of rust around the holes where it is drilled for the bars to go in. It's amazing the quality difference. I don't know if the old ones were made in China but if I had to guess I'd say no.

I recently found three Island Cages and I absolutely love them. Sadly, they went out of business a while ago. Are there any good affordable cages being made now?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
AA has always manufactured in China... it's too bad that the newer ones don't seem to be made quite as well as the old!

Good affordable cages... it's really quite difficult to say. I would lean towards no :(

pchela

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
If they were always made in China I wonder why there is such a difference in quality now? I guess Midwest cut a lot of corners to save money.

Perhaps a bunch of us should get together and start a good quality cage company!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Ohhhhhh...... Thanks! :)
You're welcome :) Supposedly they were REALLY top of the line though, up there like Northwest. EWD also lists some Mango cages which are still in production too :)

Danny64

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danny
I've read over the information here and have looked at the cage manufacturer information and have to say that I still wouldn't know what to choose in a cage the next time. I do think that I wouldn't choose an Avian Adventures Cage, even though they come recommended. I had a lot of problems getting a Grande Dometop shipped to me and don't know if I want to go through it again. The design seems to be susceptible to a lot of shipping damage. I might try an A&E in stainless for my African Grey, which would be my second A&E Cage, but I notice that some people seem to have issues with A&E.

Danny

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I've read over the information here and have looked at the cage manufacturer information and have to say that I still wouldn't know what to choose in a cage the next time.
Sorry Danny :o: I'm not trying to sell a cage to anybody, I'm just sharing the research that I've done over the years to help people narrow down their decisions or to open up their eyes to more brands. I hesitate to recommend any one company over another because there are always exceptions to the rule-- people who LOVE their economy cage or people who HATE their super expensive custom one.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
And this is why I value your research, it's unbiased, and just well... informational :highfive:

Sorry Danny :o: I'm not trying to sell a cage to anybody, I'm just sharing the research that I've done over the years to help people narrow down their decisions or to open up their eyes to more brands. I hesitate to recommend any one company over another because there are always exceptions to the rule-- people who LOVE their economy cage or people who HATE their super expensive custom one.

Danny64

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danny
I really wasn't trying to make a recommendation for a cage, just relating the real experiences I had when having some cages shipped to me as well as stating what I probably was going to get after those experiences. I got the cage from Petco Online and didn't have a lot of good experiences with the customer service when trying to get repair parts or other action because of a lot of damage during shipping or manufacture (I had both kinds of damage). At Petco, it seemed like no two persons seemed to know what was being done about my cage problems (and I was forced to talk to multiple persons despite my efforts to talk with the same person). I didn't explore the option of taking the cage to my local Petco, as (usually), most online stores and the retail stores operate somewhat independently. I should have asked about that, but didn't. I thought this would probably cause a problem trying it that way. I eventually got repair parts for my cage, but often, the repair parts received came more damaged than the initial parts that needed replacement. I had problems with rust and corrosion on the waste tray, as well as some heavy bang marks from manufacture. I had a "caster socket" broke on the leg of the front or back piece, which is the part that holds the caster. With this problem, I couldn't even put the cage together with other damaged pieces, even if I wanted to, and I now had cage pieces all over my house while they were giving me different answers on what was going to be done with my cage. The damage to the caster socket was caused by this cage (a Grande Dometop from Avian Adventures) having been picked up and dropped step by step during the delivery chain. Imagine delivering a package about 75 lbs. as wide as your arms can possibly reach. I might have had bad results solely due to the size of the package and the delivery method. Maybe receiving a cage of equal size from another manufacturer might result in the same problems, I don't know. Midwest wasn't really helpful and the woman that I talked with was actually kind of rude, telling me that I had to deal with Petco, even after I explained the difficulty that I was having Midwest finally sent (grudgingly) the replacement caster socket (which is about a $3.00 part...which I would have replaced on my own if I could have found the exact size from other sources). I also received some other spare parts (which were also damaged, and worse than the ones they would have replaced). Eventually, with the caster socket received, I was at least able to build a cage with some "grade B" parts. During the build, I also had to bend some pieces of the cage that got banged in shipment so that I could assemble the cage. This was namely some square tube sections that were welded to the cage to facilitate a toolless assembly. Unfortunately, that flexed some of the paint, allowing it to flake off, but I did get a cage together and was done with dealing with customer service and I "had my house back". All in all, my biggest fear with Avian Adventures is damage during shipment or manufacture. With their cages itself, I tend to like them aside from those issues, except that I think that the food dish holders totally suck compared to all others I've had on other brands. I may try the Featherlands Stainless, or go back to the A&E, but in stainless, but I still do like Avian Adventures cages, except for the feed dish system and the problems I had with damage (It still leaves a bad taste in my mouth). I'll have to make a decision eventually because my African Grey is tearing up his painted cage and it won't last a lot longer. Again, I'm only presenting my experiences in getting a cage and letting people know what *I* might do.

Danny

pineview01

You're welcome :) Supposedly they were REALLY top of the line though, up there like Northwest. EWD also lists some Mango cages which are still in production too :)
Yes! The Brad Broadwell cages were REALLY top of the line. That is why I'm having so much trouble trying to get cages. None are coming close to what I have.

teddy

Moving in
I talked to John at Northwest. His cages do look like the best made I've seen anywhere and for a handmade custom stainless steel cage, the price isn't bad. Trout and Saroj have ordered from him and their experiences look very good.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I talked to John at Northwest. His cages do look like the best made I've seen anywhere and for a handmade custom stainless steel cage, the price isn't bad. Trout and Saroj have ordered from him and their experiences look very good.
I have noticed that is the general consensus. I'm waiting to see what other's experiences are with EH as well; I'm thinking that is what I will go with for now (or when I get a bird), in that we'll be moving in 3 years, if we find out that the cage I get isn't suited to the home we move to, that will be the time to order the Northwest, when we're settled for good :)