• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Updated Info - Post #1 Cage Brand Information

Lex123

Rollerblading along the road
have you ever heard of YML cages? Not sure whre they are manufactured, but I can tell you from experience that they are very nice cages :)

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
I know the factory down the road makes them there, because you can drive by and see them in the dumpster, they toss them out if something isn't right - even if its just a food dish holder is made wrong they throw the entire cage away

if the perches that come with their cages didn't get the notches cut out right they get thrown away

they just toss the stuff no matter how little the imperfection is and they could easily fix it!

if one bar is not right they throw out the entire cage :omg:
Can you get access to those dumpsters (without getting in trouble of course)? If ya can, there's a living for ya - get rich quick!!! Take the cages out of the dumpster (& those throw away perches), learn to weld or have your better half learn, fix what is wrong with them and resell. Same with perches, renotch & resell. ;)

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Can you get access to those dumpsters (without getting in trouble of course)? If ya can, there's a living for ya - get rich quick!!! Take the cages out of the dumpster (& those throw away perches), learn to weld or have your better half learn, fix what is wrong with them and resell. Same with perches, renotch & resell. ;)

Not sure, according to my b/f they're in the trash They're free game MY concern is they are not out by the street like our trash gets put once a week - yes that way you are allowed to "trash pick" but these are on their property at all times behind a fence, I don't think your allow to "trash pick" then

SultanMyM2

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
I didn't see Kaytee cages all my cages are made by them & 1 is a Kings cage???

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
Update: Just found out that Marvelous Cages are manufactured in China.
I just purchased a Veranda Open Top and LOVE it! The only complaint I had was the finials that connect the bottom storage shelf to the stand were replaced with plastic handle/bolts. I contacted the site I bought the cage from and they are shipping me the finials as advertised/pictured.
The seed skirt has rounded corners and can be removed easily if needed. The cage was very easy to put together, yet is very sturdy. Harley loves the cage and I would purchase another one as it looks gorgeous!

Attachments

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I got a reply back - wasn't expecting one today since it is after 5 - maybe my part about "i'll just toss the cages in the trash" caught their attention

Thank you for contacting MIDWEST regarding Avian Adventure cages. We do manufacture the Avian cages in China under our strict quality control standards. Our products are also tested for lead and zinc content at a local laboratory. I hope this helps to reassure you. If you have further questions or concerns, please ask.

Kind regards,
now if they have them make them with their strict Quality control standards, and they check them for lead /zinc in a local lab

why not just make them HERE ?

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:omg: Don't know where I was when you posted this but Thanks!!!:dance4::hug8:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
have you ever heard of YML cages? Not sure whre they are manufactured, but I can tell you from experience that they are very nice cages :)
I'm on it :)

I didn't see Kaytee cages all my cages are made by them & 1 is a Kings cage???
Ah, Kaytee, one that I forgot, my apologies. Will be added with YML promptly! :)

I just purchased a Veranda Open Top and LOVE it! The only complaint I had was the finials that connect the bottom storage shelf to the stand were replaced with plastic handle/bolts. I contacted the site I bought the cage from and they are shipping me the finials as advertised/pictured.
The seed skirt has rounded corners and can be removed easily if needed. The cage was very easy to put together, yet is very sturdy. Harley loves the cage and I would purchase another one as it looks gorgeous!
Thank you so much for the good review... this is one company I have personally been very interested in as I've heard great things about it :)

I got a reply back - wasn't expecting one today since it is after 5 - maybe my part about "i'll just toss the cages in the trash" caught their attention

now if they have them make them with their strict Quality control standards, and they check them for lead /zinc in a local lab

why not just make them HERE ?
It's sooooooo cheap to outsource :(

:omg: Don't know where I was when you posted this but Thanks!!!:dance4::hug8:
You're very welcome :dance4:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
YML Cages: made and manufactured in China. They make a lot of the smaller wire cages you see all over pet stores. One thing that really bothers me is that they make a lot of ridiculously small cages, as well as round cages. As for their larger parrot cages, I've read some complaints about latches and lack of food doors as well as the food holders-- most owners agree that they are not appropriate for macaws and cockatoos. One complaint about the plastic bowls not holding up too well and yellowing as well; another about the spot welds on the grates breaking easily. I did however read about one person that had the paint tested for heavy metals several years ago and they came back clean. In general they have a decent/good reputation as an economy cage.

Kaytee: Pretty sure they are made in China, but awaiting confirmation by the company. I'm also doing more research but so far the reviews I've read all agree that they are very easy to assemble and clean-- the entire front part of their cages open like a door so that it is very easy to access the entire interior of the cage. The only cons I've read so far are about the plexiglass fronts-- definitely a design choice for the owner, not the bird's sake. More info to come.

Warranty info on both brands forthcoming!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I spoke to Mark and for a custom ss cage all the materials come from the US and are assembled in the US. For off the rack cages, the materials come from India and they are manufactured in Karachi, Pakistan by a British owned firm based in London. He said the quality of stainless steel that comes from India is superb!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Thank you Saroj for clearing that up :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Mark just told me they have a new as yet unadvertised line of ss cages with the same guarantee and workmanship but 15% or so less than the original. They look like their line of powdercoats but are made in mirror finish ss. He has them in stock ready to ship anytime.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Mark just told me they have a new as yet unadvertised line of ss cages with the same guarantee and workmanship but 15% or so less than the original. They look like their line of powdercoats but are made in mirror finish ss. He has them in stock ready to ship anytime.
Yes, they should be going up on the website asap... I believe the only difference between them and the powdercoats is that they do NOT have the open-tops. :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Yes, they should be going up on the website asap... I believe the only difference between them and the powdercoats is that they do NOT have the open-tops. :)
the absence of which is a PLUS imo :D

annvenn

Checking out the neighborhood
Cages By Design is an extremely reputable custom birdcage manufacturer. They have a great reputation in the industry. Their cages are all hand-crafted in the Wisconsin-based facility—so they are made in the USA. They use only safe, non-toxic coatings on all their material. Even their wooden frames are stained with a pet-safe, water-based product. Customer service is prompt, professional and extremely helpful. These cages have been used by a number of high profile figures including Jack Hanna from the Columbus Zoo. They have also been featured on MSNBC and several TV shows including, Extreme Makeover Home Edition.

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
My goodness. Just found this thread, great info, thank you Coco so much for going through all that hard work, you're making my preparation for a bird so easy!!! :worthy:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
My goodness. Just found this thread, great info, thank you Coco so much for going through all that hard work, you're making my preparation for a bird so easy!!! :worthy:
Haha... I've got more updates to this, I'm just too lazy to re-compile. Feel free to ask me any Qs about any brands though and I will let you know if I have heard any better/worse.

Lex123

Rollerblading along the road
What the YML brand of cages? What have you heard of them? I have one, and love it, but I'd like some background info on them.