• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

*Update Post #110* Come Hatch With Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Update #2: Removed two more eggs tonight that had blood rings (started to develop and then stopped). So, from here on out, we have seven possible chicks :)

I will not candle again until Day 14 or so.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the update:)

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
This is really neat and informative. I used to love going to the feed store when I was a kid and seeing all the chicks :heart:

robin's my baby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
shame you already lost 3 so early in the game...just so delicate they are...have fun, try not to go insain when you try and sex them (im still not convinsed my 3 arnt all boys though we oded 3 girls from the hatchery) and most of all dont open the incubator after day 18.... agian have fun chicks are a wonder to have

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
most of all dont open the incubator after day 18....
That's good advice with one of the still-air types :) But, this model regulates humidity and temperature automatically, so opening it is not a problem at pretty much any stage. It goes back to ideal temp and humidity within a minute or so.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I can't wait to read the updates!
My parents let my brother and I hatch out eggs once. We had 4, and only 2 hatched, and they were both roosters! I forget what Pat named his, but I named mine KFC (Killer the Fighting Chicken). Of course, I didn't fight him or anything, but he was absolutely fearless, and he would chase the horses as he went by! So he got his name that way.

Never knew what happened to him, one day I went out to the barn and he was gone :( Think maybe a coyote came in and got him, or something.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My parents let my brother and I hatch out eggs once. We had 4, and only 2 hatched, and they were both roosters! I forget what Pat named his, but I named mine KFC (Killer the Fighting Chicken). Of course, I didn't fight him or anything, but he was absolutely fearless, and he would chase the horses as he went by! So he got his name that way.

Never knew what happened to him, one day I went out to the barn and he was gone :( Think maybe a coyote came in and got him, or something.

LOL Natalie: I like KFC's name :D. I grew up with chickens, and my folks (in their mid-70's) still have a small flock. :) That's where these are from. My father enjoys gathering eggs and hearing a rooster crow. I think my mom would be fine with just buying eggs at the store, although, she admits that the eggs his chickens lay are superior in healthiness and flavor.

I can't remember all the chickens I've hatched. I used to raise bantams as a hobby, and I hatched lots of those for years... I've also hatched turkeys and quail. :) For some reason, it never gets old, though.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Update #3: Well, darn, I've had to remove two more eggs for quitting. I'm not sure why I'm having such poor luck this time around. I've hatched in winter before. But, the flock is small, and the p's gathered these over the course of several days, and fresh eggs hatch better. So, that could be a factor.

Anyway, we've got 5 healthy embryos going into the final week. Let's hope all of them make it :)

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry about those two eggs. Good luck with these five!

Matt

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I'm sorry that you're having a run of bad luck with them Holiday

rooting for the final 5 though :)

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
:dance4:Looking forward to more updates!:hug8:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks guys :) I'll post next weekend when they start to pip.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
looking forward to more updates@@

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Oh, I can't wait to see the photos of pipping/hatching!
We were only ever allowed to have those two...after that, my parents said: "No more chickens!" because Pat and I cried for weeks when KFC went missing.

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
:dance4: Oh hearing their little cheeping would just melt my heart! I can't wait to see pics of the little fuzzy darlings! :heart:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, folks, the weekend has arrived :) I saw an egg wobble this morning, too. But, it should be tomorrow before any hatch. We might see a pip or two by this evening, though.

It is now time for me to set up the brooder! I need to do about a million other things, first, though, so it's a good thing these chookies are still asleep. I'll post back when I get the brooder all set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.