• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

<UPDATE>My moms TAG bit off her parakeets beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allessa

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
Im not going to get too much into it, because i honestly dont know the details. My dad got a call while he was at work today, my mom said that her TAG (who is nesting) had bit off the bottom half of her parakeets beak for getting too close. This couldve been avoided, but my mom knows everything (we stopped talking months ago) but theyre at a loss of what to do.

I told my dad first and foremost...VET VET VET. The bleeding has stopped, and he says hell be taking her tomorrow. I hope hes not just saying this to make me feel at ease. My brother sent me a pic, but its blurry and i cant really tell from all the blood stains around her face whats missing and whats not. I am so freaking sick to my stomach its not even funny. I GAVE her this bird. And i understand accidents happen...but this COULD HAVE been avoided.

I know a few of our members have birds who are missing parts of their beak (all i know is upper tho)...HOW can she eat?Im figuring shell have to be handfed, but what exactly are they handfeeding...baby formula? If i know my parents (then again, they could surprise me) but i wouldnt be surprised if i end up taking her back and taking care of her myself. Please ANY suggestions!!!! Eric doesnt think shell be okay without the lower part because he says she wont be able to hold water when she drinks. Gosh im so so sick right now:(

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Re: My moms TAG bit off her parakeets beak

Yes, she should go to the vets immediately. She will be in shock and will need fluids and pain meds. She will also need to be hand fed. I would start with baby formula. Until they can get her to the vets she needs to be kept quiet and warm. They can drop liquid into her mouth with their finger. I am so sorry. It could go either way. I would wait to see what the vet says. It is possible for some of it to grow back but if it can't she will have to continue to be hand fed until she learns how to eat. You will have to monitor her weight carefully. I am so sorry. Many prayers for the little one. What is her name I will light a candle.

Ginger

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie

Omg how terrible...I am so sorry....that poor baby.

I agree, to the vet right away. they should not wait.

Maya is missing part of her upper beak and does fine...she has learned to eat solid food and adapted well. I don't think it will grow back either, at least not so far. It is amazing how they adjust and adapt.

But for now, the vet care is vital...pain, infection,etc.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett

So sorry to hear of what has happened. Birds when nesting are especially aggressive and big and smaller birds are a big no no then together even with supervision. These accidents happen so quickly. Do so hope the Vet is able to help the dear little thing, and it will learn to keep clear of a larger bird. Good luck.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza

:omg: the poor thing! Sending good thoughts for the little one... Everyone has offered great suggestions so far.

HungryBird

Coco/Lotus15 just went through this when (her birds!) Lola bit Charles's beak and he seems to be doing well now. She rushed him to the vet and it seems that he is now fully recovered but she had to make some adjustments in his diet to accommodate the missing part of his beak. Here is her profile on AA if you want to talk to her about it, she probably knows much more than she cares to about this by now.

Lotus15

And here is an article she wrote about what happened.

Charles's Beak Accident

HungryBird

Ooops didn't mean to post twice. Please let us know what ends up happening.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne

yes immediate vet care.....the sooner the better.. :hug8:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

Hi, I'm the one who this happened to in January between my Cape Parrot [same size as a TAG] and my budgie. The vet told me that if I had not rushed him to the vet, I would not have been so lucky. My budgie was somewhat in shock and could not eat on his own for several days and lost a lot of weight, even while being tube fed. Please get him to a vet ASAP -- they are the only people who will be able to provide proper care right now!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

I would tend to agree. Losing the upper beak is one thing but losing the lower beak is even more serious. She's going to need constant and ongoing special care. I hope your mom is up for it. Poor thing.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany

:omg: Poor little guy... I hope your mom takes him to the vet... Sending over many prayers and healing vibes.. :hug8:

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie

Keep us posted Janifer....

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

Oh dear, hope everything will be okay! :hug8:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Poor little one,I pray she will be ok.

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty

Off to the vet ASAP.

If there is any of the bottom beak left a dentist maybe able to form a bottom beak out of dental acrylic. I know it can be done depends on the money you want to spend.

You may have to step in to handle the situation.

Good Luck!

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T

It seems like the poor dear would do much better in your care. The bird should've been taken the moment it happened, at least for pain meds if it was after hours... I hope everything turns out Ok. I think it has the possibility to grow back, but will have to be monitored with her weight as the others have said. Good luck and try to get the birdie back. He/she needs YOU.

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer

Thanks guys. I am really upset about this. "I told you so" doesnt even begin to cut it with her. Ginger her name is Sky. A couple years back Erics grandmother said her 104 year old friend passed away and had the bird in her modular home. She was less than a year. I took her, and my mom wanted her so i gave it to her. That bird loves my mom, and my mom adores her, but she trusts her TAG more than she should. I told her how fast accidents can happen, especially once hormones kick in (Chester is about 8 years old and had just started making a nest) but her "angel" could do no wrong. *sigh*

I talked to my dad last night, and today and i kept DRILLING into his head to take her to a vet. I agree, she shouldve gone RIGHT away. I sure would have. He swears to me they are going today. I am stuck working for the next 2 weeks because i just started a 2nd job so i cant even go down to see her. Thats whats killing me. My mom does know how to handfeed which is good. So im just waiting to here from him to see what the vet says. I might not post until tonight when i get off. Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Im really scared for her. If i have to take her and handfeed her daily i will. Im just waiting to see what they say.

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer

I just talked to my brother. He says pretty much all of the bottom beak is gone and half of the top beak. Im sitting here crying at work. God i feel sick. =(

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I just talked to my brother. He says pretty much all of the bottom beak is gone and half of the top beak. Im sitting here crying at work. God i feel sick. =(
Oh no,Im so sorry. That poor little one,many :hug8: and prayers to her.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger

Oh Sweetheart, I am so very sorry. I wish I could do something other than pray for her and you. Did your brother say they were taking her to the vets? Even if it's to end her suffering. Can you call your Mom and offer to help?

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.