• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

~UPDATE~~~My Lovebird is Starting to Pluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

J*M*L

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Julie
This morning I noticed her cage was filled with down feathers. More so than a bird would lose in even a heavy molt. She's sitting on my shoulder now plucking them and crying from the pain. I was going to say she's only been plucking her down feathers, but she just yanked out a regular feather.
She's been very nesty lately, trying to mate with my budgie. Should I give her some nesting material so that she doesn't feel that she has to use her own feathers? I really don't want her to start laying eggs, but I would rather that than her plucking.
BTW, there have been no schedule or dietary changes. I still spend just as much time with her as I always have. She eats her pellets and veggies like a good girl and her droppings appear normal. Her attitude towards me hasn't changed even though I know she's been hormonal. She's a little more aggitated and fidgety than usual, but she's still very sweet with me.

Last edited:

cgreenaway

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Awe thats so sad. One of my other lovebirds would pluck her chest feathers out for no reason and for the longest time we had no idea. She seemed happy and healthy and she had a mate and a clutch of babies and she still plucked her feathers out. I would just do as much research as possible on the internet and see if there might be a solution like "Pluck No More" that you could give her and it might work. Sorry I can't help more than that. I hope something works for her.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would definately give her shreddables and then remove them at the end of the day or the next morning and then let her start over.

No matter what we do, hens are hard wired to lay eggs. We discovered this with Zamir and found it much better for her emotional and mental health to allow her to shred to her hearts content, but not let her make a nest with it.

Ginger

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
Awe thats so sad. One of my other lovebirds would pluck her chest feathers out for no reason and for the longest time we had no idea. She seemed happy and healthy and she had a mate and a clutch of babies and she still plucked her feathers out. I would just do as much research as possible on the internet and see if there might be a solution like "Pluck No More" that you could give her and it might work. Sorry I can't help more than that. I hope something works for her.
Did she just stop one day?
I would definately give her shreddables and then remove them at the end of the day or the next morning and then let her start over.
No matter what we do, hens are hard wired to lay eggs. We discovered this with Zamir and found it much better for her emotional and mental health to allow her to shred to her hearts content, but not let her make a nest with it.
Ginger
She has plenty of shreddables. Cajeput perch, straw toys, shreddable braided paper. Should I leave her feathers in there or take them out? Gosh she's plucked out 4 down feathers already in the three minutes it's taken me to write this. At this rate she's going to be completely naked by the end of the week. There was one feather in her cage just now that had blood on it. Here's a pic-
IMG_4130.JPG

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
none of my hens pluck their self when they're hormonal Roxy does pluck Pugsley but she does that when she isn't hormonal (she's mean and when she gets mad she takes it out on anything and everything), The other Female only plucks her male when the babies are a couple weeks old - not sure why she does that but she usually tears up the top of his wing but the last time she did get around his neck

Has she been to a vet recently? If not get her tested for Giardia

one of the signs of it is plucking out feathers and "yelling" out in pain

Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Zoonotic (Bird-Human) Diseases: Giardia and Avian Influenza

These birds tear out their feathers, frequently screaming as they do

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
none of my hens pluck their self when they're hormonal Roxy does pluck Pugsley but she does that when she isn't hormonal (she's mean and when she gets mad she takes it out on anything and everything), The other Female only plucks her male when the babies are a couple weeks old - not sure why she does that but she usually tears up the top of his wing but the last time she did get around his neck
Has she been to a vet recently? If not get her tested for Giardia
one of the signs of it is plucking out feathers and "yelling" out in pain
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Zoonotic (Bird-Human) Diseases: Giardia and Avian Influenza
Ughh. :( I made an appointment for her Monday morning at 11. I didn't see in the article where it mentioned if it might be contagious. Do you happen to know?

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Oh No!:( I hope she stops. Good luck with the vet on Monday.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli

Ughh. :( I made an appointment for her Monday morning at 11. I didn't see in the article where it mentioned if it might be contagious. Do you happen to know?
I thought it was, but your right that page doesn't say anything about it - it mentions something about the budgies version and not knowing if it can infect other birds

I'll go see if i can find more info on it though

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
according to the other page I found

Your bird's giardia should not be contagious to humans or other types of pets in the home. It is contagious between birds, however. It is not thought to be transmitted through tap water (unless it is contaminated with bird droppings!) The giardia that infests humans is a separate organism, according to latest research, and is not contagious to birds.
Giardia in Birds

but it says the droppings need to be examined within 10 mins of them doing their business(on the 1st link that is)

Hopefully it's not this at all and it's something else or nothing at all and just a phase. But it's always better to be safe and get them tested just in case. Because from what I've read it can lay dormant for a long time and not cause problems at all.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
This website says it is :mad: - Giardia in Birds
Your bird's giardia should not be contagious to humans or other types of pets in the home. It is contagious between birds, however. It is not thought to be transmitted through tap water (unless it is contaminated with bird droppings!) The giardia that infests humans is a separate organism, according to latest research, and is not contagious to birds

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
A lot of these articles are blaming unclean water, but I change everyone's dishes at least twice a day. I use tap water but Austin water is pretty good, I think. Maybe I need to switch to distilled. I know tons of people use water bottles, but I've just been afraid my birds wouldn't understand how they work.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Oh no Julie! I am sorry that Velvet started plucking. I think that giving her shredables might help.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I don't know if the test strips you can get for pools would work to test your drinking water or if you'd have to take it some where and get it tested for certain things because it says it can be in tap water

I tried the water bottle thing with my tiels and conure and neither of them used it and I did just what it says to to put it above the water bowl . They did use it to stand on metal part though lol

But don't forget this is something IF she even has it, she could of had for a long time and it was "hiding" it doesn't mean its caused by your home or water at all. It says it lays dormant for a long time and comes out with stress - and with the little birds even the smallest thing we can't see or figure out can stress them out. Or it could be the hormonal thing

but then again she may not have it all.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
I never cover the birds cages, even at night, but should I cover her so she goes to sleep and stops plucking? Or would that be cruel? I'm just afraid she's gonna be naked by the time Monday rolls around.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I cover Squeeky's cage everynight. He will have night frights if I don't. I guess it gives him some type of security.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
On my way to another vet now. They didn't really have any appts available but told me to come in anyway and they'd make room for us after I told them what was going on.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Were going tomorrow with Chotu who has been plucking his little behind.

Ginger

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Oh no:( I'm so sorry, Julie. I hope you can figure out the cause of plucking.

How old is Velvet now?

I'd suggest checking for polyfolliculitis, it is a common cause of plucking in lovies (esp. peachfaces). Leyla and Kermit both have it. There aren't any tests for it, you'd actually see it -- two or more feathers in one follicle.

Most people who I've talked to with lovies that have polyfolliculitis said their bird starting being affected by it at about a year old. That's when Leyla's started and I would find literally piles of feathers under and in their cage. I don't know about Kermit, because I don't know how old she is.

Also, covering the cage won't stop her from plucking overnight if the plucking is from a medical reason. Both my poly. lovies will pluck in the dark if they're itchy. Leyla especially.

I hope the vet visit goes well, please keep us posted!:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.