• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unruly Quaker

Iguana

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Spencer
Hi,

I got a new Quaker parrot 2 weeks ago and I've been having a lot of trouble. He's a hand-raised bird I got from a reputable family, owned store where he was raised by one of the employees. On the first day, he was preening my hair while I built his cage which really surprised me. But I left him alone for the rest of the day and half of the next day to acclimatise. Since then he's been out 6 hours every day except Thursdays and 12 or more hours on Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. But he's only gotten worse. He's become very cage aggressive, he bites and lunges at anyone that sticks their hand in and screams when anyone enters the room, even me.

I was also told he would eat vegetables and pellets however he does neither, he only eats millet and sunflower seeds. I've tried only giving him pellets, but he just didn't eat which scared me. I've tried mixing in seeds with pellets but he just picks out the seeds. I give him a new fruit or veggie every night but have had no luck getting him to eat anything yet. He doesn't even take food from my hand so training has been impossible.

He's also deathly afraid of my hands, I think it's because, for the first few days, I was picking him up by grabbing him because I saw that's what the pet shop people were doing and I thought it was fine. But I stopped when I did more research into it. He now refuses to step up on my hand, and if he does he runs to my shoulder then I can't get him down.

Then there's the biting. At first, he was simply preening my hair but then it changed into full-on biting. I read that when a bird bites you do not respond and put them in his cage but he won't let me pick him up and I feel that putting him back in his cage is rewarding him for biting. He's drawn blood multiple times and I have scabs all over my arm because of him.

Looking back at when I first got him, he looked very ill compared to the other younger Quaker Parrots. They were moving around, eating, and playing with each other and toys. But he was completely still and his feathers looked very dark and dishevelled. I took him to the Vet I work at to make sure nothing was wrong and they said he was all good just a bit fat from all the seed.

At this point I have no idea what to do, nothing seems to be working and my dad is wanting to send him back and get another bird, but I don't want to give up on him.

I'd love some advice on what to do, thank you in advance :)

The Cage:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry to hear your having such a stressful time with your new little one.
Quakers are known to be very cage territorial,I'd stop trying to reach into the cage unless it's to change his food and water out and do that as quick as you can. It will be a big help to attach a perch to the door on the inside so once you open the door he can climb on the perch and come out much easier.

If it's possible to get a rolling playstand I'd position that next to his cage so he can climb out on his own and be wheeled away from the cage and try to bond that way.

If hell step up on a perch and you can take him to another area away from the cage to spend time interacting with him could also help.

Conversion to a more desirable diet can take quite awhile but don't give up. It took me almost a month to convert Bosco from his petstore seed mix to Harrisons pellets. I had a lot of luck by squeezing out the soft veggie insides and mixing them and the juices in with the pellets to make them wetter and more tasty. Corn and Peas were easy sells to get him to eat and then we moved onto carrots,green beans and broccoli to name a few.

Let me tag some experienced Quaker owners to give some advice.
@Mizzely @Pixiebeak @Vmax
@zERo/

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:heart: :greet13: :hello1:

Welcome to the best parrot forum in the world!!

Congratulations on your new baby!!

Do not stress!! It's all going to be ok!! Things take time.

I will come back shortly to help you with some ideas.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So I would just start over; pretend you just got him and that he's a brand new-to-you bird. Don't reach out for him, leave him in the cage for a few days if you need to have the reset.

I do not take my bird to the cage if they bite. I set them down immediately on the first available safe surface, give them a mean face and turn my back. Harder to ignore that body language, even when we speak different languages!

Tuck your hands behind your back for now and just try to talk to him. You can make a treat bowl and put a treat in it and walk away to make him recognize that you mean him no harm. :)

It took my Quaker about 6 months to start eating pellets, while my conure took to them right away. here are some ideas:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Ok all of my quakers are cage protective, that's just the way the majority of quakers are. It's nothing against us humans at all just their instincts.

So to keep things happy and peaceful, I have a perch on the door when they are on that perch and I open the door they swing out and it's like magic they are all sweet. But I also have a perch attached to the outside of the cage by the door , and even several others attached to the outside of the cage and on the top too. Even tho you have a plsy top you can make it's lots more fun by adding more stuff!! You can never have to much stuff for busy quakers.

Ok got off track s little. So anyway , first sweet talk them as you come to cage . Have a routine and use the same phrases, they learn out routine and ehst to expect. Really read our mood band energy. So say hi sweet little baby! ( bird name ) ( what is your babies name?) Offer a seed if they will take nice while in cage. ..some will dime won't. It's ok if not but try and encourage them to come out to the perch by the door on the outside. Then really praise them . You can probably bigger a seed it treat there. Then I tap a higher perch and show them another seed and say come up here sweet little baby ( name) . Only after they have come out of the cage and moved away from the door , do I change food and water and do cage maintenance. Then we are all so happy and no bites or drama .

Ok you choose your sweetie from the ones there because they spoke to your heart. And they choose you as well because they have sweet grooming and preening you!!!

Everything since , well that's just some miscommunications, and rushing and nee bird new owner stuff. It's ok! Slow down , be happy, have some patience and understanding. You can totally earn back trust !;

I wouldn't focus on step training. It can really start evolving naturally. I would focus in being friends . I find it really helpful to dhive a nice comfy chair and giit stool right up next to the cage . Have my snacks, bird snacks , my phone s book , maybe a little bird toy I can fiddjr with. Then I open the door , sweet baby talk them , then not focus on them . My vhsir is smashed up to the cage so they can imb in me when they are ready. I just chill, I chit chat with them fo my ken stuff. I wait. If they come out I tell them how brave they are how good they are! I show them hey I've got snacks! Even you ready come in over a d get some. The hope is they will be relaxed after awhile s d curious to climb in me and back to cage . Maybe nubnke stuff with me just hdnd out. Pls. To do this many times try fir sn hour or more of just hanging out.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Make routines. Explain stuff to them . When it's time to go back to cage tell them time to go back. Out the most yummy treat inside the cage waiting for them .really praise them when they go back or you out them back.

It's a lot to learn for first time owners , it seems overwhelming. We all have to start out as newbies. We all have to learn to read our parrot's body language, and it's an art you will get better and better at. You are here , you can ask lots of questions and get different ideas from members. Take time to read stuff and other posts, you can learn lots from other people and what's going on with them. A majority of parrot stuff sookies s to all parties.

On new foods. You've doing great to offer lots of stuff. I offer new veggies in the morning on top of the cage , chunks of veggies spread out on a shallow dish or plates. I ket them come and explore tip stuff up toss stuff ignore it whatever there is waste in the beginning ...well always. But quakers really do enjoy veggies you will get there.

Some great stuff, bell peppers a slice it two sbd that yummy seed mas in the muddy! Try bright yellow bell peppers it orange kr red, green is fine too! Mine definitely love yellows ones best . Toss out some thawed peas, freh gren beans, a little fresh corn, a length wise slice of cucumber do the seeds are showing, rip up s couple if leaves if romaine lettuce, it swiss chard. Ok so many veggies to list. But try and give st least 3 kinds each servings to try.

My babies and other sweet babies enjoy veggies check it out!

And this picture filled thread of veggies people are serving their sweet birds!

Oh sorry for all the typos! Not enough editing time...I'm in my phone s d need my reading glasses ;)

Last edited:

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Quakers are such cards! They are super cage protective. They’re that way with their nests when in the wild. When I first adopted Hiccup, I sat by his cage every evening after work and talked to him and sang to him (not a great singer, but he didn’t seem to mind ;)). We’re going on 18 months and still haven’t worked out all of the details, yet. Hiccup is sexually maturing and has chosen me as his mate…not so good. His diet is rather restricted with little to no carbs currently. I have been working on using a clicker and doing some gentle target training with him cage side. He’ll let me take his food and water bowls now, but he does protest. I’ve gotten him to step back from them, at least. I praise him profusely and sometimes slip him a safflower seed or a pepita…he’s ga-ga for most seeds. He’s been very unpredictable when he comes out of his cage. I want him to fly about for exercise and well-being. Today he was excited to step up on my finger after flying and chatting about it. Then, he lunged at my face very suddenly. I was able to protect my face, but both of my hands felt his frustration. It’s a work in progress. All I can say is that you’re not alone and you’re in the right place and have patience with yourself and your new baby. Hiccup, when not feeling as amorous towards me, is super gentle and so cuddly. I’ve gotten so much support and information from Avian Avenue. I hope you find the group as supportive if not more so.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Your Quaker is still very new. Work to make friends with him and don’t take bitiness around the cage personally. Remember they share big apartment style nests where each pair has its own set of rooms. He’s just trying to keep you, the nosy neighbor, from stealing his apartment!

Also, try not to yell when you get bit. The bite may be instinctual but he will think it’s very funny and do it more.

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
I think other replies have given great advice, but I would suggest asking the place you got him from for the brand of pellets they use? My quaker Milo will only eat the brand of pellets the guy who raised him used. Vegetables can be quite difficult, Milo was also raised eating vegetables but he’s pretty picky about which ones. Try experimenting with different kinds!