• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two new flock members arriving soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BakeBeanPie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elizabeth
How adorable,

I believe I also seen the add, they are stunning!

I've rescued a few starlings, very smart birds.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Congrats Cory!! :cool10:

Starlings are unusual and very interesting birds. I saw several of them in a small flock a couple of days ago in my neighborhood. They had beautiful plumage with a metallic purplish sheen.

Yes, they can attain a pretty good vocabulary. Their voices are very mechanical sounding to the point one would think they are robotic, LOL. Can't wait for the pictures. In the mean time, here's a couple of vids...

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
that is awesome!! congratulations.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Wow, thats exciting for you! They are beautiful!
Those are great vids Titanus - I love how their voices still have a bird sound underlay to the human voice....neat :)

Cory

Real Name
Cory
Congrats Cory!! :cool10:

Starlings are unusual and very interesting birds. I saw several of them in a small flock a couple of days ago in my neighborhood. They had beautiful plumage with a metallic purplish sheen.

Yes, they can attain a pretty good vocabulary. Their voices are very mechanical sounding to the point one would think they are robotic, LOL. Can't wait for the pictures. In the mean time, here's a couple of vids...

Thank you for the videos! I've actually seen them already because I spent way too much time going through Starling YouTube videos. :lol: I watched them again though. :)

Their voices are very interesting! Sometimes they are so clear and other times they have different sounds mixed in. I know some birds can produce two sounds at once. Is this one of the species that can?

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Congrats Cory!
I loved the video with the starling outside. I can just imagine how startled someone would be if a bird flew over and started talking. :p

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Starlings are amazing birds. I absolutely love them :D I miss my Mimi :( She was a great birdie:heart: They are EXCELLENT talkers, I have never heard of a human imprinted starling who doesnt learn to "talk" human, whether it be picking up whistling (which they are amazing at) and other bird sounds and noises, or human speech. Since the European Starling is a non-native species, many people raid their nests to handraise them. I have heard of a couple starling breeders too.

Mimi's diet was 50% grubs. Like earthworms, mealworms, waxworms, cricket(de-legged and de-headed), moths, and 25% seed(which she FLUNG everywhere) and 25% fresh foods (veggies and human foods).

They LOVE toys. Just because they are softbills doesnt mean they dont liek toys. Mimi LOVED shiny things and brightly colored toys. Their kind of toys dont need ot be expensive, budgie/cockatiel/lovie size works great. Mirrors, bells and brightly colored plastic toys are very much loved.

Because they are non climbing birds, they need a large flighted cage or aviary. They need many branches and a good fly space.

They LOVE bathing, and will often bathe 2xs a day all year around :D and they LOVE to SUN BATHE! It may appear like they are having a "stroke" or looking "faint" when just standing their in the sun. But they truly love to be in the sun. Often dangling their wings low (like as though they are wet or looking like a begging fledgling) and just soak up the rays.

Starlings are amazing birds :D If I didnt have larger parrots, I would love to take in another softbill.

Last edited:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Congrats on your new additions to come.

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
Wow congrats!! can't wait to see pics :D
So funny because today someone handed me a baby starling who i'm caring for.
Great little guys!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Awesome:heart:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cant wait to see them:)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Matt

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Are they home yet? :D

Cory

Real Name
Cory
Starlings are amazing birds. I absolutely love them :D I miss my Mimi :( She was a great birdie:heart: They are EXCELLENT talkers, I have never heard of a human imprinted starling who doesnt learn to "talk" human, whether it be picking up whistling (which they are amazing at) and other bird sounds and noises, or human speech. Since the European Starling is a non-native species, many people raid their nests to handraise them. I have heard of a couple starling breeders too.

Mimi's diet was 50% grubs. Like earthworms, mealworms, waxworms, cricket(de-legged and de-headed), moths, and 25% seed(which she FLUNG everywhere) and 25% fresh foods (veggies and human foods).

They LOVE toys. Just because they are softbills doesnt mean they dont liek toys. Mimi LOVED shiny things and brightly colored toys. Their kind of toys dont need ot be expensive, budgie/cockatiel/lovie size works great. Mirrors, bells and brightly colored plastic toys are very much loved.

Because they are non climbing birds, they need a large flighted cage or aviary. They need many branches and a good fly space.

They LOVE bathing, and will often bathe 2xs a day all year around :D and they LOVE to SUN BATHE! It may appear like they are having a "stroke" or looking "faint" when just standing their in the sun. But they truly love to be in the sun. Often dangling their wings low (like as though they are wet or looking like a begging fledgling) and just soak up the rays.

Starlings are amazing birds :D If I didnt have larger parrots, I would love to take in another softbill.
Wow Mercedez! Thanks for all of the information! There's so little information about them in captivity. I guess that's a good thing because they aren't meant to be in captivity though. :)

Right now they are each being housed in typical "cockatiel" sized cages. The cages come with them so I'll keep them in these cages until they finish settle in a little bit. I have one flight cage that is 32"W by 23"D by 32"H which is decent available so I'll move Flash into it since he can fly and Pip can't. Then I'll work on putting Pip into a larger cage as well. Of course the placement of the perches will have to be well thought out for him but I'm sure he needs the space too. :)

Another possibility is giving them free range of a room since I don't have to worry about them chewing on wires or the walls. :lol: That would be awesome! They are going to be so much easier than parrots in that sense. :D

They are currently being fed cat kibble, apple sauce, some live insects, and small amounts of fruits and veggies. I'm still doing a lot of research but so far I'm not in agreement with the cat kibble because natural, whole, unprocessed diets are superior to me. If I can create the same balance and the same and better nutrients in their diets then I can eliminate it. I don't mind feeding live insect one bit so that's where a lot of their protein will come from! Also scrambled eggs... :rolleyes:

Wow congrats!! can't wait to see pics :D
So funny because today someone handed me a baby starling who i'm caring for.
Great little guys!
AWW! You should post some photos! Are you going to transfer him to a wildlife centre, keep him, or raise him in a way that he can be released? Personally I think that if they have potential to live in the wild that they should. :)

Are they home yet? :D
They will be here this Friday between 12 - 1 PM!!! :D

I am SO excited!!!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I only agree with feeding cat kibble to young ones. Its really not that healthy for them. But when I handfed Mimi, she got whole grain bread (with all the nuts and stuff in it), mooshed up with "some" formula and seed, and de-headed live bugs. I only soaked up cat kibble to the birds in the rescue I volunteered at.

How does the little starling with the disabled wing get around? Does he step up well?

Thats one thing I had to really work with Mimi on, she didnt like fingers, none of the wild birds I handraised did. They'd fly on my hand, and grab the food out of my fingers but they didnt like stepping up, or staying on my fingers and would often grab the grob out of my fingers and fly off. I had to work with Mimi on this. So I'd hold onto the grub longer and logner, and she had to "work" the grub out of my fingers/hand. It was really quite fun :D lol. In the long run, she didnt mind my fingers, but she was a "hands off" type of bird. She LOVED people interaction and to be on/near people, but didnt like being touched.. and I handraised her.

Status
Not open for further replies.