• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two budgies in separate cages

marsleey

Meeting neighbors
I am planning on getting a second female budgie, and I’m wondering if it’s okay to keep my first female budgie and second in separate cages. I read that females are more aggressive and will fight. I don’t to risk them fighting in the same cage while we are gone and have something bad happen. I know they are flock animals but I will let them out of their cages to play with each other when someone can supervise them though. Is this okay?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
@AussieBird @Sparkles99 can help I bet.

I know when initially adding a second bird, it’s good to keep them separated for the first little while. You might find that they enjoy each other’s company so much though that they would prefer to be in the same cage, since parakeets tend to flock together so strongly.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I see nothing wrong with that plan, as mentioned they may decide they like each other later on.
I am curious though why you want/are getting another female? I personally love the attitude of the girls, but notice people always tend to go for the boys.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Please post photos of your new baby when you get him!