• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Traveling with birds (by air)

teena87

Meeting neighbors
Hello,

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience traveling to foreign countries with their birds? For extended vacations or moving?

I'm particularly concerned about countries that require quarantine but also about coming back home (I'm in Canada but I believe it is similar for USA.

From what I was told:
1. Most countries require a 30 day quarantine
2. When coming back, a vet inspection and again quarantine
3. If there is an avian influenza outbreak where you were traveling, you may not be able to bring the bird back until the outbreak is cleared.

The above completely scared me off from attempting to travel anywhere but Im wondering maybe its not all that bad? Quarantine is at your own home I believe.

I work remotely and I could easily take off to work in Italy or something for a while and it kills me that I cant :(

I've been leaving the birds with my brother so far but only for a week max, more is unlikely.

Any advice? Experiences? Stories?

Thanks!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I once brought 2 of my cockatoos with me from Kauai to San Francisco for a few weeks. I had them each in separate carriers but I made sure they could always see each other. I carried them on the planes with me as the cargo hold is much to cold for them.

All was fine until we got to Honolulu to board the big plane to the mainland. The flight attendants made me put them in a little cubby upfront. Not 5 minutes after taking off Gilly (SC2) and Consuella (U2) started yelling Let Me Out! Travellers were all looking around trying to see who was having a panic attack!

The attendants finally moved me to some empty seats and we buckled the carriers in so they could see me. Throughout the long flight children and adults alike kept coming by to chat with us. Was quite fun actually!