• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Trauma after night fright?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
My tiels were uncaged last night and had a very bad night fright around 2AM. Flying into walls, etc. Clementine in particular was dazed and terrified. She kept opening her beak slightly, as though she were panting after a strenuous flight, but she wasn't breathing heavily and didn't want any water. I stayed with them until they calmed down and were perching in their cage.

This morning, Pogi and Cookie are acting perfectly normal, but Clementine is not. I noticed that she was squinting her left eye shut, so I called the vet to make an appointment for Monday in case it had gotten scratched. After making the appointment, however, I noticed that she is actually squinting BOTH eyes shut, as though she is in pain. She is NOT relaxed and napping - there is tension in her body and she is trembling slightly. :( She is also still holding her beak open slightly. There is no sign of physical trauma on the outside of her body. I restrained her lightly to examine her, and she didn't put up as much of a struggle as I would expect. She hasn't shown any sign of interest in food, but she had a normal looking poop a little while ago.

I called the vet back and one of them is coming into the office tonight at 7 to see her as an emergency. Am I overreacting?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
no you are not over reacting if she is not eating I hope she gets better soon

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Definitely not over reacting! So great your vet is coming in to see her! I will keep her in my prayers.:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
It does sound like a good idea to have her looked at tonight.

Here is some info on concussion you might want to read to familiarize yourself with the symptoms. :sadhug2:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
definitely get her looked at ..the sooner the better!! keep us posted!!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh dear,poor baby. I definatly think you should take her in,I hope all is well.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
No you are not over reacting, good that you are having her seen this evening. Hope all will be well with her. Keep her quite and calm, she may have received a concussion.

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
No, I'd be worried too. I'm glad the vet can see her today. I hope Clementine is okay. :hug8:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Thanks, guys. :hug8: I am worried sick about her, so I know there is no way I would last until Monday. If I couldn't get in tonight, I would probably be hyperventilating into a paper bag somewhere. She's just not acting right. Maybe she hurt her beak somehow and she's just in pain. I don't know, but I have never seen my girlie so quiet and unhappy and disinterested in food or my laptop.

She can perch okay, and has made short flights, but she's still sitting over there with her eyes squeezed shut, looking miserable.

Marie, I don't see a link in your post, but I know I posted a link in someone else's thread recently with the same info, so I can probably find it again.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh, I'm sorry. Let me try posting the links again. Is Clementine drinking at all? If not you should try dribbling water into her beak with a eye-dropper or even a spoon so she stays hydrated if you don't have any Pedialyte (dilute 50%with water). Please watch she does not get lethargic. If she starts to look too weak put a little corn syrup on her tongue to keep her electrolytes up and see if you can get her to the vet sooner.

Birds Online - Health and diseases - Other diseases - Concussion

http://eclectusparrotbreeders.com/blog/?p=925

Last edited:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I don't think she's dehydrated. Both poops today were moist and looked healthy, if lower than normal in feces content. (Mostly urates.) Just a couple more hours until we go to the vet.

No regurgitation. There is a slight wing droop, but as I said she can fly and perch. I can see her trembling from across the room.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Left side:
IMG_8538.jpg

IMG_8567.jpg
IMG_8568.jpg
IMG_8569.jpg

It looks like maybe there is some swelling around the eye?

Right side - looks normal.
IMG_8565.jpg

She has started regurgitating. At least making the motions for it and then moving her beak and swallowing whatever is coming up. Then she'll stretch and act normal for a few seconds. Another small mostly urate poop. She has just hopped to the top of the cage. Maybe she is going to try to eat?

.. No, just sitting there with her wings drooping. She is looking at the food bowl, but isn't going over to it.

Last edited:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor baby! You can definitely see swelling and bruising around the eyes and beak. 7 PM hurry up and get here!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Please don't let her fly anymore till you take her to the vet, to conserve her energy. You may want to call your vet and see if he'll see you sooner and I would put some kyro corn syrup or even a little bit of honey on her beak for her electrolytes since she has not eaten or drunk anything. jmho.

Last edited:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I'm So glad that Your taking her to the Vet tonight:hug8:it looks as though she may have hit her head and she could be in a bit of shock.Are You keeping her good and warm? Keeping Her warm,quiet and hydrated till she sees the vet would be best:hug8:Healing thoughts and prayers for Her and many:hug8::hug8::hug8:for You! Please keep us up dated!

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
Oh dear, poor thing! You are not over reacting by any stretch. I would be concerned about concussion and internal bleeding and bruising. I think the beak opening and closing and the shaking may be a pain reaction. I'm sure relieved you are not having to wait until Monday. She looks like she banged herself up a good one!:hug8::hug8:

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Hoping she will be ok, Do you keep a nite lite in their room ?

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
So agree with what Bonnie says!!!! Please keep her warm until you see the vet...I think she is in shock and has "head trauma"...hitting a wall with the beak/side of the side will cause them not to eat because the beak is hurt and YES that eye looks swollen...You need to keep her air temp around 80-85º and I also would see if she will take a little corn syrup off your finger or put some on her beak...if she is not drinking she will dehydrate also.....Please let us know what the vet says! Sending HEALING ENERGY her way and CLAMING ENERGY for you!:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.