• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Trauma after night fright?

Status
Not open for further replies.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Oh, poor Clementine, little baby girl:heart: I'll be checking this evening, hoping to hear your news--my thoughts are with you both....

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Praying that all went well and your able to update us soon :hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Just saw this. As everyone else said, you are NOT overreacting. It could be anything, most serious being head trauma.

I hope the vet visit went well and you got some answers. Please update us when you can.

Healing thoughts and hugs :hug8::hug8:

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
We're back, and we're okay! :hug8:

Clem got an injection of Metacam for the swelling and pain, subQ fluids, and some formula via crop needle. She is obviously feeling better for having some food and fluids in her. She's still acting nauseated, but she nibbled a little millet.

I put the divider in the double flight so that I could close her in for tonight and keep her separate from the others so that she can have some peace. She is currently preening for the first time today! :dance5:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I am glad she is feeling better!
Phew!

They can get really bruised up during those night frights.

Did you get anymore Metacam for tomorrow?

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so glad she is doing better! The food in her tummy will help spark her appetite.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Great news!!! I hope her little tummy feels better soon!

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I didn't get more Metacam, Danita. Hopefully it won't be needed. The swelling has noticeably decreased since earlier this evening. I'm going to keep her shut in the cage tomorrow to keep her activity level lower, in case she decides she is all better and should go zooming around the room all day. Her mood right now is a HUGE improvement.

Susan, yes, there is a night light in the bird room, as well as white noise (an air filter that runs 24/7). They don't get night frights frequently (though it has happened before), but when they do they are very scary. I don't know what spooked them last night, but the budgies were screaming and thrashing around as well, so obviously they were all quite frightened. Possibly a moth. :mad:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks for letting us know, Lindsay. That's such good news! I'm glad she's doing better already. :hug8:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Aww I'm glad she's feeling better. :) I hope tomorrow she's back to her perky self!

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
What a releif, that she will be ok. thats great news.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Oh my goodness...glad she is feeling better.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:dance4::dance4::dance4::hug8::hug8::hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Just now seeing this. I am so glad you took Clementine in right away. Sending healing energy and hugs.:hug8:
No offense, but maybe letting them be free flighted at night is not a good idea in a home where they can hit walls and things. Cockatiels night fright so easily.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
No offense, but maybe letting them be free flighted at night is not a good idea in a home where they can hit walls and things. Cockatiels night fright so easily.
:huh: Not really sure there is a home without walls, aside from the outdoors. I don't know what's safer, to be honest. After this, I will probably cage them at bedtime, but I'm concerned that they could be just as hurt inside the cage during a fright. Of course, the risk of head trauma is diminished, but I have heard so many horror stories about broken wings from flapping around madly inside a cage. :(

Clementine looked great this morning when I uncovered her! No visible inflammation and her mood was good. She isn't agitated at me for locking her in yet, so I know she is benefitting from the rest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.