• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toy ideas for starlings?

Kile

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kile
My starling needs some more things to play with and I want to try to find some things around the house or things I can make for her to play with. Since she has a straight beak she cant shred things like a parrot but she likes to pick things up and shake them. She likes playing with paper towels but she likes to eat just about everything that fits in her mouth... including small rubber bands, fuzz balls from my shirt or paper shreds. :sigh: She even tried to swallow an entire mutilated mandarin orange slice once... I ended that quickly. I have to be cautious with her so if I give her shreddable things I make sure to take it out before she eats it. She likes to stick her beak inside things like holes in toy balls or fabric and pick up pebbles and bring them to me but I need some new ideas before she gets bored. And if anyone asks, I don't use shredded paper or anything at the bottom of the birds cages, I just use flat weewee pads usually used for potty training dogs. Works well, easy to clean and gives them more playing space on the ground to roll things around, etc.

Also, thoughts on hamster wheels for birds? (One made of a solid material of course, not bars or mesh. No need for broken toes/nails here.) I've considered getting one to see if my budgies or maybe the starling would use it. I've seen a couple people say they've tried it but haven't seen enough stuff about it to spend $20 on a solid hamster wheel.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Parrot Pockets are right up the starling alley, I think.

Also, if you can find or make one, a cat toy known as a peek-a-prize is great fun.
1606877089054.png
You can replicate it pretty easily just by cutting holes in a cereal box. Throw some live mealworms or crickets in there and Booboo will no doubt lose her little starling mind.

My boy's absolute FAVORITE thing to do is bathe. I gave him a plastic tub with a 3' hole cut in the side and keep it filled with about an inch of clean water. Little dude splashes about to his heart's content several times a day.

Kile

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kile
Parrot Pockets are right up the starling alley, I think.

Also, if you can find or make one, a cat toy known as a peek-a-prize is great fun.
View attachment 364245
You can replicate it pretty easily just by cutting holes in a cereal box. Throw some live mealworms or crickets in there and Booboo will no doubt lose her little starling mind.

My boy's absolute FAVORITE thing to do is bathe. I gave him a plastic tub with a 3' hole cut in the side and keep it filled with about an inch of clean water. Little dude splashes about to his heart's content several times a day.
Thanks so much! Haven’t seen those toys before, I will consider ordering one or making one myself. And Boo loves baths too, I have a small tub attached to a cage door and she bathes in it multiple times a day. Sometimes I take her into my bathroom and let her go at it in the shower lol any time I turn on the faucet now she gets excited :D