• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Top's pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm planning to add another brand of pellets and so far I have only heard good things of Top's.

One thing I need to know is how you store these pellets and if they need to be changed every 12 hrs like Harrison's?

Are their any better pellets out their so please let me know. (I already have Versel Laga and Harrison's)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
One thing I need to know is how you store these pellets and if they need to be changed every 12 hrs like Harrison's?
I store mine in a mason jar in a cool dark place with the oxygen absorber from the original package. Okay for a couple of months. If you need to store them any longer freeze them. And they need changing regularly, they are great moisture absorbers.

Are their any better pellets out their so please let me know. (I alread
Get ready for a deluge of differing opinions. The best pellet is the one a bird favours.
My birds get the Top's alongside Tropican and Fruitblend.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I bought the small and the medium for my birds. None of the littles will touch them... and only Henry will eat the medium size but prefers his Zupreem. I'm always happy though to see that he does eat some of the Tops. You can always crush them and put them in baked goodies. Sneaky mom-bird tactics...:D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't personally like them except in conjunction with another pellet because they aren't vitamin fortified and I'm a stickler for that ;)

I would treat them the same as Harrison's, yes.

Better in what way would be my question :)

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
That is correct, they are not fortified (which obviously I feed a whole diet- so I prefer them).
Which bird is it for? tops has high fiber content. Any health concerns?

TOPS:
Crude Protein min 13.6%, Crude Fiber max 8%, Crude Fats min 5%, Moisture max 10.3%

Tropican Maintenance:
Crude protein: 13.0%, Crude Fiber: 3.5%, Crude Fat 7%, Moisture max: 11%

Zupreem Natural:
Crude Protein, min 14.0%; Crude Fiber max 5.0%, Crude Fat, min 4.0%;; Moisture, max 10.0%

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
I really like Tops.. No colours, SUGAR, or perservatives, sunflower seeds or peanuts...
I like their policy that no complete food is complete without fresh veggies/fruits and some seeds/nuts.
They have a really, really strong taste though, spicey as heck (i perform a qc on every batch i purchase/offer to the bird)
They are offered in combination with Harrisons high potency and Hagen high performance (young bird, moulting, in transition from a sunflower seed only :sad8: diet).
Anyhow, Loki loves them!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have always preferred the ingredients listed for this one:

1. Image: birdsafestore.com

Goldn’obles I/Large Beak is made by processing the following select ingredients: Quinoa, organic brown Rice, organic black beans, Organic triticale, organic soybeans, organic barley, organic flax seed, organic banana puree, organic mango puree, organic alfafa, organic rye seed, organic sunflower kernals, organic agave syrup, almonds, dehydrated raspberries, vegetables composed of parsley, cabbage, Carrots, spinach & garden Peas, rolled Oats, white proso millet, organic apples, dehydrated honey, amaranth, sesame seed, spelt, apple cider, beets, chia seed, kamut, fenugreek, organic cranberries, honey, pinto & kidney beans, cinnamon, Fennel seed, Ginger, Star Anise seed, Bee Pollen, Echinacea, cilantro, red clover leaf, basil, oregano, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried lactobacillus fermentum fermentation product, dried enterococcus faecium fermentation product and dried Bifidobacterium. Pretty much the same for small beaks.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Doesn't appear to be any Vit D in the Goldenfeast and if your bird doesn't get a Vit D supplement or regular outside in unfiltered sun time, that could result in a calcium issue. It also contains some sugar in the form of molasses, so it would not be on the list of a pellet I would use.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Doesn't appear to be any Vit D in the Goldenfeast and if your bird doesn't get a Vit D supplement or regular outside in unfiltered sun time, that could result in a calcium issue. It also contains some sugar in the form of molasses, so it would not be on the list of a pellet I would use.
It actually has agave syrup, dehydrated honey, AND honey, plus Fruit purees! I'm actually surprised none of my birds ever took to it with all that sugar!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My budgies would not eat Tops pellets no matter how many ties I tried so I fed Goldenfeast because it has no corn, and supplemented Vit. D3.

As Linden wrote:
Get ready for a deluge of differing opinions. The best pellet is the one a bird favours.
My birds get the Top's alongside Tropican and Fruitblend.

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
My lovebird LOVES Tops but only after a few long months of getting her to try it. She has never had an issue with eating food, getting her to eat chop was a breeze and even getting her to eat tropican was insanely easy.

I eventually got her to eat her Tops once i ground it up and put it in with her chop. Tops isn't particularly appetizing to birds especially if they are mostly seed eaters or they have a yummier pellet like tropicans or zupreem. I personally feed Chica 50% tropican and 50% tops in the morning and chop with a bit of seed in the evening. Eventually I want to feed tops only plus chop and have her on a 'raw' diet.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm mean and make meal of them and add over their chop. So I can chose whatever pellets I want. :D
What I like with Top's is what @Ulis_Beast and @mythic55 posted.
And I have two Maxi Pi's.

I never feed a only pellets diet.
I have a new store here in Sweden and for the first time I can buy Top's and Harrison's from the same store.

Thank you all for your reply! ❤

I chose the organic.
IMG_20200217_220608.jpg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I've purchased one bag of those too..... NOBODY likes them. I wonder if I can sneak them into hubby's cereal so they don't go to waste.... :thinking:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
None of my 13 fids would touch the Tops. Personally I find them a bit too 'alfalfa-y'. LOL!
Harrison's remains our #1

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
None of my 13 fids would touch the Tops. Personally I find them a bit too 'alfalfa-y'. LOL!
Harrison's remains our #1
Shocked Henry will eat any but he does. I've tried several times to get him to try Harrison's but nothing doing. I think it's the shape that has a lot to do with the Harrison's.

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
It actually has agave syrup, dehydrated honey, AND honey, plus Fruit purees! I'm actually surprised none of my birds ever took to it with all that sugar!
My birds too [ the only exception being Rainbow who pigs out and eats almost everything in the bowl ]. I always thought they were weird since people have been saying birds go crazy for sugary 'junk food' and ... my birds don't seem to want to touch zupreem fruitblend, higgins, or goldenfeast. [ I was trying to feed them that to diversify a bit, since there was once a shortage of Roudybush Crumble side in my area] . Roudybush so far being their preferred pellet still it seems!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'm planning to add another brand of pellets and so far I have only heard good things of Top's.

Are their any better pellets out their so please let me know. (I already have Versel Laga and Harrison's)
Might sound silly, but I actually but buy all brands. I have harrisons, tops, caitec, oven fresh, avian organics, zupreem pure fun, zupreem fruit blend, zupreem sensible seeds, sunseed fruit blend, health stores brand of organic freeze dried fruit mix.
I mix and match, provide a variety and change it up. They never get the same thing every day. They get fresh chip and mash for dinner and lunch.
fresh fruit in morning with some bird bread.
My pantry has jars of lentils, beans, organic plant based pasta, and etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.