• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Time management.

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I'm having problems spending equal amounts of my time between Mochi and Maccha.
I'm still in the routine of spending all of my time with Mochi, and unfortunately I feel like I'm ignoring Maccha . I would love for the three of us to be able to spend time together but sadly they both don't quite seem to like each other.
A lot of you have two birds, would you mind if I asked how you divided your time?
Also what you did if they didn't like each other?

I feel so inadequate having troubles dissecting time for both.
Maybe I wasn't meant to be a mommy to two birds.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I had that problem with Sunshine Senegal and Trixie Meyers. These two birds literally fought over spending time on me, and each of them felt ONLY they should be on me. It turned into a huge fight between these two birds and Sunny lost the fight. Trixie monopolized the time for whenever she was out of her cage. Sunny literally got depressed, stopped eating, sat on a high perch when both the the birds were out and stared at me. Sunny lost interest in life and I thought she was sick and took her to the vet. Sunny was sick, she was depressed and thought I had picked Trixie over her as my favorite bird. My vet said the only way to solve it was to divide my day equally between them and to keep one caged while I spent one on one time with the other.

Trixie Meyers was a very light activated bird; more active in the morning and at noon, and as soon as the light decreased in the late afternoon and evening, she went to bed and would not interact. Sunny Senegal, however, had been with me much longer and was used to be not getting up (I worked nights) until three or four in the afternoon and then, on nights off, spending time with her in the birdroom until three or four in the morning. Therefore, Trixie got mornings after I got home from work until I went to bed on days I worked. Sunny got a brief greeting these days, a share of my breakfast for and hour, and then back to her cage. But when I got up from sleeping, I would greet Trixie, share my late lunch, and put her back in her cage, and then get Sunny out and spend one on one time with her until I went to work and left the house at ten PM. When I was off work, I spent the morning with Trix until two PM. Then a nap, and Sunny came out of her cage in the evening and I spent time with her until I got sleepy and back for another nap (usually three or four AM).

That is what I suggest to you. Partition your day into blocks of time for one on one activities with each bird. That way each bird gets your undivided attention. With Trix and Sunny, I could allow both of them out of their cages together in the mid-afternoon, and they wouldn't fight (if they did then someone was caged, usually the one who started it), so things got better with both birds. When Sunny and Trix were both busy doing other things, the cockatiels and lovies and budgies came to me for one on one attention. Pay attention to what goes on between your birds and make sure they are both happy.

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I'm trying to divide my time equally.
An hour here and an hour there.
I hope one day they get a long a little.

Ziggy Stardust

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jodie Reed
Kind of like siblings. Mom brings home a new baby and the first child feels jealous or shoved aside. It must be hard to see this and know that you have to give each fid their own undivided attention. And hopefully maybe one day they will like each other.

Last edited:

Kellie728

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
I have the same issue. I take one out, then the other right after for just about the same amount of time. Not like one in the morning and one at night because i think that could cause some issues. I want it to seem to them like they are getting equal time at relatively the same time.

If i take both of them out at the same time by myself, it ends up in a squabble and i don't feel like i got quality time with either of them.