• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The possibility of rehoming Echo

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry to hear about your father! What a stressful situation for everyone :( I'm afraid I have no resources or ideas to share, but you are all in my prayers!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I feel your pain. There’s not much I can do as much as I would like to. :hug8:

I also think you should seek out some kind of foster situation. Not necessarily a permanent rehome. The sooner the better so that option is available. There are most certainly parrot groups/associations in Ontario. I would at least reach out to them.

I’m so sorry my dear. :hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry that your Dad is ill. I wish the very best for him.

If it comes to that - and keep hoping it - fostering would be ideal. Isn't Echo healthy and very friendly?

You of all people don't deserve this.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry you are going through this and sending prayers for your dad. I would try calling the rescue- and even if they can't board him, maybe they can suggest some people who would. I agree that you should definitely be looking at fostering, not rehoming because hopefully if anything happens it will only be a temporary situation. Are there any facebook bird groups for your area? Also, if you do find a foster, make sure you have something in writing that he's still yours.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Thankyou everyone!! Your support means alot to me. I join some Facebook groups that might be able help me. We'll see how it goes.

My dad is starting to feel better. Still not great. He's been to the hospital twice in the past six months, once just to the ER and then the latest time he was hospitalized for about 2 weeks. He's been home for almost 2 weeks now. Its hard because you never know what will happen next. Right now things are pretty good, but when things get bad it feels like he's at death's door... he struggles alot...
:(

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
:sadhug2:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I agree, get everything in writing.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Yeah, there's some nutbars out there. Urg! I just posted on Facebook rehoming page. So many vague responses. And one girl who would be perrrrfect expect she on there rehoming her lovebirds she had for a month because she didn't click with them :cautious: :rolleyes: But she kept answering questions like she prepared to take on a cockatoo :wideyed::rolleyes:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Yeah, there's some nutbars out there. Urg! I just posted on Facebook rehoming page. So many vague responses. And one girl who would be perrrrfect expect she on there rehoming her lovebirds she had for a month because she didn't click with them :cautious: :rolleyes: But she kept answering questions like she prepared to take on a cockatoo :wideyed::rolleyes:
Just be very very cautious...
Words are cheap

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Don't you dare give him to anybody you have not met in person and gone to visit where he will actually live so that you can make a true evaluation of this person and the situation. FB is full of nutjobs that will tell you whatever you want to hear.

Last edited:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Just be very very cautious...
Words are cheap
Very true!! I've got a bunch of replies, some were just supportive and wishing me and my family well which I appreciate. I'm not sure how many people wanted to consider but more than I was expecting. I had talk to 12 different people via private messages. The first was the girl who had an answer for everything and that everything would work out so well. Even thou she rehoming her lovebirds after a month. One person messaged me just to warned me about her.

I have 3 or 4 of them I feel comfortable continuing the conversation and see if they could potentially be the right fit. Still its early stages and it will take so many much discussions before I feel comfortable with anyone. Right now I feel eerily at ease with it. I think because I have time and I haven't made my mind up what exactly to do. I'm still hoping to be able to keep Echo. I don't feel in a rush or panic.

I was surprised how many people responded honestly. Mainly because I said I was planning ahead and wasn't completely sure if I absolutely needed to rehome him. I think I overselled him because I didn't think people want to wait to out for bird they might not get. I try to keep it realistic that he can scream and bites, even though its rare. I did highlight all the things that comes with him. SS cage, Austin air filter, tons of toys and toy parts. Which was probably a mistake. Because whoever end with him, if it comes to that, is getting an amazing bird and ton of great quality stuff. It's a great deal, if I'm honest.

Don't you dare give him to anybody you have not met in person and gone to visit where he will actually live so that you can make a true evaluation of this person and the situation. FB is full of nutjobs that will tell you whatever you want to hear.
John!! Do you really think I'd just hand him out to anybody? I thought you knew me better than that! :p I'm definitely taking my time with it. I want multiple meetings and a whole lot of questions answered. So far there are people who understand that I haven't made up my mind yet. And willingly just to foster him if needed. Still its early, I trust no one yet. It will take time. Thankfully I feel time is on my side right now. Sadly I know all too well about bird flippers and scammers. I know how many bird to end up in bad places because of that. I most certainly do not wish that for Echo. That's my biggest fear for him. And I will to all I can to make sure he'll be in good hands :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
John!! Do you really think I'd just hand him out to anybody? I thought you knew me better than that! :p I'm definitely taking my time with it. I want multiple meetings and a whole lot of questions answered. So far there are people who understand that I haven't made up my mind yet. And willingly just to foster him if needed. Still its early, I trust no one yet. It will take time. Thankfully I feel time is on my side right now. Sadly I know all too well about bird flippers and scammers. I know how many bird to end up in bad places because of that. I most certainly do not wish that for Echo. That's my biggest fear for him. And I will to all I can to make sure he'll be in good hands :)
My bad. Of course you will do what's best. It's just when somebody mentions these FB groups (they are sickenly bad) I lose my head for a moment. :hug8:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
My bad. Of course you will do what's best. It's just when somebody mentions these FB groups (they are sickenly bad) I lose my head for a moment. :hug8:
No worries!! I like that Uncle John is looking out my Echo! ;) :hug8:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Oh, Sarah, so stressful! I keep hoping that I will meet someone who would be a godparront for my girl. I hem and haw about making a thread about it, too. I really feel for you.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Oh, Sarah, so stressful! I keep hoping that I will meet someone who would be a godparront for my girl. I hem and haw about making a thread about it, too. I really feel for you.
I understand where you're from too. That's what I said in my posted. That I was looking for a godparent of my bird. This is issue of "what will my bird do or go when I can't not longer care for them" worries alot of bird owners

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I’m so sorry for this stressful time you’re in.

For what it’s worth I found Seamus on a facebook bird page. Messaged the woman who owned him and brought him home the next morning. So some people are honest, it’s just finding them that’s hard.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks. I appreciate your info. I'm having some luck with some really understanding people who seem legit right now. Obviously I have to look into references and other things too. I'm hopeful I'll find some local help. But I have time too, so not rushing into things

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm feeling alot better about things today. I did have a lovely chat with a woman was very supportive and might know someone who could help. And a couple other people stuck out in a good way too. We'll see what happens but I'm optimistic that if I need someone for a short term foster I'll be able to work something out. And I even more optimistic that I'll be able to keep Echo longer than I thought I would after I talk with my mother. Probably atleast a year, maybe even longer. We're not completely out of the woods yet. But it feels like we are making so progress. I haven't felt this good or hopefully in a long time. I definitely went to a very dark place for awhile. Its nice to have hope again

Thankyou you guys for all the support :heart:

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm in Toronto and I just finished fostering a bird for someone on this forum for a bit over two years. I have no cockatoo experience, but if you want we can work something out.