• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The possibility of rehoming Echo

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
My life is a mess right now and I'm very unsure what the future will bring. My father is ill with chronic kidney disease and is not doing well. Right now its impossible to know what will happen or how much longer he has. He has good and bad days. His bad day are really hard. It's a very real possibility that we might have to sell our house, and that we won't be able to keep Echo. Everything is so up in the air.

I'm really hope I don't have rehome Echo anytime soon. But at the same time I don't want be caught off guard and have rehome him very quickly. I have one parrot rescue in Ontario I really like and would be ideal if I have to rehome him to there. But they have a limited amount of space and don't always accept new birds. If I'm stuck trying rehome him through kijiji seems like a nightmare to me. I want be extremely thorough and not rushed. It's horrifying to think he could end up somewhere where he is abused or neglected. I would ask a ton of questions and want meet them multiple times before I feel comfortable. Though with covid I'm not sure how that would work.

Its difficult to know when I should start looking to rehome him too. As I really want to find a way to keep him. Its a time sensitive thing to as rushing to rehome him can lead to bad results. I don't want jerk people around but I'm gonna need time with this. I fear when I absolutely know I have to rehome him I won't have time to pick the right person. Its very hard. I'm not sure what to do...

Right now I'm in a really bad headspace because of all of this... It's so difficult... I'll probably be off and on the forum sporadically

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Do you have friends or family somewhere to temporarily park him if it gets really crazy?

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
:sadhug2: Oh Sarah I am so sorry you are going through this! Is there anyone close by that could foster him for you as a possibility?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
@Danita would you possibly have some recommendations?

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Do you have friends or family somewhere to temporarily park him if it gets really crazy?
:sadhug2: Oh Sarah I am so sorry you are going through this! Is there anyone close by that could foster him for you as a possibility?

Unfortunately I don't think so. I wish I had somebody who could. I really do. :(

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm so sad that you even have to consider this, but I understand wanting to be prepared. I hope you find at least 3 good solutions & that you never need to use any of them. :angel1:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
She may not, but I know she's pretty connected. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
What other members do we have near you I wonder. Jlcribber? I really hope that this all works out in a way that means the least amount of hassle and heartache for you all.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Prayers for your father Sarah. It is a very difficult time to deal with an ailing parent and at the same time stressful for his health and the thought of having to find a home for Echo. Hopefully it won't come to that and you'll be able to share many more years with both your Dad and Echo.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I was very fortunate to be very active in the Bird clubs in Austin so was well known and was able to Rehome Percy at short notice but if hi ever did it again I would have had Updates in writing because they’re no longer updating me

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I was very fortunate to be very active in the Bird clubs in Austin so was well known and was able to Rehome Percy at short notice but if hi ever did it again I would have had Updates in writing because they’re no longer updating me
I'm so heartbroken for you!! It's so difficult to rehome a beloved pet. I still hate the fact you had rehome Percy due to noise complaint. I hope you're doing ok without him. I think of you and Percy often. :bluhug:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm sorry about your father & that you might have to sell your house & consequently rehome your bird.

Parrot Partners might help. They're a real rescue. They do rehabilitation & outreach at schools & libraries. They also do boarding. It's expensive, but maybe a few weeks would tide you over & give you the break you need to keep your bird.

Not sure where in Ontario you are. They're just outside Ottawa.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Yeah Parrot Partners is a rescue I really like. It's the rescue I'd trust the most in Ontario. I've never been there but I hear lots of good things about them. I've actually emailed them at long ago when I wasn't sure if I could stay in my previous apartment. I had Zane the time. They weren't sure if they could take him because of all of his issues. And the cost of his vet bills. It sucked that they couldn't take him if I needed them too. But I do appreciate they are financially responsible to know what they are capable of. I think a lot rescues take on too many birds and there they can't properly care for them. I think rescues are in a hard spot that way. They get criticized if they don't take in every bird in need that comes their way or if they do, they are criticized because they can't take properly care of all of them. I much rather deal with one that knows its limits. Its so hard for bird rescues to stay a float and I know alot them are hurting more because of covid

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I'm so sorry you're going through this,
I do hope everything will settle down for you and you're family, And you're able to keep your home and Echo.
Possibly the rescue could help you find a temporary foster home for Echo until you get your life back on track.
My husband is stage Kidney disease , we have to be very careful about his diet.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am so sorry you are going through this:hug8:
I think reaching out now is a great step. Maybe you could find someone who would be willing to foster/adopt Echo should that time come. Then you would have a solution ready, with a person you trust. I think that would give me peace of mind. Maybe you can arrange something with the rescue already as well?

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
My heart goes out to you... and pray that a solution will soon become apparent.
I had always known that Cockatoos require a lot of attention... but until we got our Umbrella rescue [renamed her Abigale-- for In the Fathers Hands] I really never knew how much love THEY WOULD RETURN... they have needs-- just like a REAL BABY! People need to understand ahead of time, that these guys are VERY SPECIAL and need a person that will return their love!
Your path is not easy, dealing w/ the health uncertainty issues... may you have guidance in navigating this future destination...