• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Pionus Diaries: The Max & Yoshi Story

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I would also be inclined to get a wider, lower cage. My cage for Leia is 100cm wide by 80cm deep and 140cm high. I'm happy to upload the very rough diagram I sent the cage maker if you'd like to see it.
Ofcourse! I am always open for advice :)

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Isn't there someone on this forum who adapted what was meant to be a tall cage into a wide cage by turning it and changing up the doors? Or did I dream that?! Just an idea, I dunno whether it would then be too low?

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
So @tka and @Eloy and @Dartman

This woman who wants to sell her pionusses, i asked her why she wanted to do that and if maybe she would consider not selling them.. she said its a male of 8 months and a female of 3 years. The female is nesty (for a lack of a better word) and they keep screaming. I asked her if she’d be willing to make a movie of it, and then maybe we could work out to solve the problem! But i am ofcourse in no way a Pionus expert.. so what do you think?

or maybe @Archer90 could buy them.. They seem well cared for :heart:

Archer90

Meeting neighbors
I cannot, because i dont have Space for another Cage atm.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I have the space, just not the money. Thats why i hope i can convince this woman to keep the birds!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I will just reply to this.

Buy 2 smaller ones and separate them. I found somewhere information, that pionuses needs at least Cage 3mx2mx1, 5m if you want to keep them together. So this is almost whole room just for them.
Agree. Especially for the separate thing. He continues to pluck her head and I feel so sorry for her.
:(
He is way to hormonal to share a cage that small.
Think about it Jan. How do you think she feel? when she has no change to get away from his mean plucking.
She is probably to used to this now but wait til later when she has her own security place to get away from him.
You will see a different bird, how a female Pi should be and behave.

"If the male is in breeding mode and the female isn't responding to his advances, he might be plucking her out of sexual frustration."

Don't you ever think he does this to her for love or to be kind. He is mean to her. Please separate them. :)

And a high cage is not for Pi's.
Chose a wide cage.
As a panic solution you can get two flight cages. Not big enough, but will be okey for a while.
And better what they have today.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ofcourse! I am always open for advice :)
Told you it was rough! This is what I gave an aviary building company and they made a beautiful cage from it. They added two bowls that swing out on the lower right hand door.

All measurements are milimetres

Attachments

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well the two I had never had issues together but I think they were brothers. Yes they got noisy once and a while, especially when they would reinforce each others screams but most of the time they made happy noises and hung out together. I agree about that poor female, if he's too hormonal and plucking her head they need to be apart when you can't keep an eye on them for her well being. I've always used whatever decent cage I can afford and my birds seem happy in them but once everyone was settled they were out doing their thing.
It would be interesting to see how they are interacting as far as the ladies pair and see if there's anything that might be causing it she doesn't see. I would say having them around really small birds might not be a good idea so hopefully she's always there when everyone's out in case a fight breaks out as it can get ugly real quick.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Told you it was rough! This is what I gave an aviary building company and they made a beautiful cage from it. They added two bowls that swing out on the lower right hand door.

All measurements are milimetres
I was dumb haha

All measurements are in centimetres - otherwise that would be a very very small cage!

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
While i respect the opinions, and truely welcome the advice, i will not seperate them (yet)

since im home most of the day (remember, im still batteling a heavy depression) and only out for the usual errants and such, they are also free from the cage. They are only locked in it for sleep.

As a result, there is no agressiveness, no food problems. As you can see on the pics above. They are joined to the hip :) they like flying and climbing around. And i like them flying and climbing around too :)

I can see how Max plucked Yoshi. Remember, they where in a dark cold cage with nothing but 2 default perches. and bad food.

Now they have good food, a nice cage with toys (OMG Yoshi even nibled on the wooden toy!) and they have freedom. Ofcourse, would Max get agressive i will seperate them. Im just not as convinced as others seem to be..

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
If your able to keep an eye on them and it isn't happening now with all thew new things to do great:)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
OFFTOPIC:
I’m an Apple Consultant.. ofcourse there will NEVER be an Android phone in my house :p
I always said I want no Apple products. Well, now I have the iPhone 8 and Ipad pro 12.5.

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
You know, Dobby often would put himself to bed--he just flew in and roosted--but there were many nights he stayed out. He liked his face to the wall on a curtainrod.

Would it be hard for one of them to sleep out at night? Just a thought.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
He MOSTLY tries to stay out as long as possible here, but occasionally will go in and be ready for bed. I wouldn't dare leave him out here considering his love for chewing anything munchable. Nerd bird would put himself to bed when he was ready, usually around 10 to 11pm. Lurch was more like Dobby and wanted to stay out and sometimes he did as he wasn't as big a chewer and usually stayed where he was. If you had a bird safe space you could let one of them sleep there I spose. Dobby now has two places he likes to roost. The yellow cement pedicure perch up high in the back corner, and the empty food bowl ring mount on the right front. Other then that he likes the top of the tv or on sisters knee after he gets his scritches.

momazon

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
That's true. I was wondering if Max or Yoshi would be okay with a perch at night. Dobby did love to wake up and maul all the fruit and houseplants, but sometimes he just really hid and didn't want to come down. I sure do think they are all so loveable and sweet in spite of their ways!

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
He surely isn't a morning bird here. He's giving me the stink eye from under his neck feathers with his head put away most mornings :cool: He surely loves to maul any unlucky plants he happens to find and we have discovered putting pieces of dead food box cardboard gives him something to gnaw on other then the blankets and towels protecting his favorite spots on the chairs and couch. He has several nice chew toys around yet the towels, plants, and trim are still best...:eek: He's hanging out here in the computer room on his big play stand preening as I type so he'll be beautiful when mama gets home;)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I can see how Max plucked Yoshi.
If she hasn't have any pinnies he still pluck her. I couldn't see any at your last pic that's why I was begging you to separate them.
I also think she can be out at night if you can't afford a new cage at the moment.
You can as I told before secure the area with some curtains if that is necessary.

She is older and wise, better to let she stay out on her own. :)