• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Pionus Diaries: The Max & Yoshi Story

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Well im not into the whole talking business, next thing you know they keep asking for coffee all day long!

what i more ment was, i talked in soft voice and tone. and i think Max understood that all was okay :)

Human communicate only 10% by words, everything else is subcontious by bodylanguage etc. Animals communicate mostly with bodylanguage, les subcontious ;-)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
How would i go about weighing them? They are not so tame as to step up and sit in a small cage i suppose..

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Food bribery usually works very well. Of course eventually they may figure out what your trying to do and skitter away, depends on how much they like the treat vs what your trying to get them to do.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
HOOKED! AB-SO-LU-TE-LY HOOKED!

These are the nicest parrots i have met.
They are quiet, self entertained, always up for a duet.. i really dont understand why there aren’t more of these!

So, in our house Max is the boss. When i come home from work he starts kwacking (i think?) and will do the Pionus strud. I will then open up the top cage so they can perch outside. He will limb up, and when hes satisfied will call Yoshi up. I think he will be the hardest to be tame, but i love this little bugar’s attitude spot on!

Yoshi i the sweet mother of our home. She will sit gently perched most of the day, and will allow Max to satisfy his huge ego. When diner is served she will wait to see what Max does, and then they will eat together like humans, Chirping over how bad a cook i am for sure!

I love how they are invisible untill the music starts. Then they make themselves heard! :heart:

Attachments

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
HOOKED! AB-SO-LU-TE-LY HOOKED!

These are the nicest parrots i have met.
They are quiet, self entertained, always up for a duet.. i really dont understand why there aren’t more of these!

So, in our house Max is the boss. When i come home from work he starts kwacking (i think?) and will do the Pionus strud. I will then open up the top cage so they can perch outside. He will limb up, and when hes satisfied will call Yoshi up. I think he will be the hardest to be tame, but i love this little bugar’s attitude spot on!

Yoshi i the sweet mother of our home. She will sit gently perched most of the day, and will allow Max to satisfy his huge ego. When diner is served she will wait to see what Max does, and then they will eat together like humans, Chirping over how bad a cook i am for sure!

I love how they are invisible untill the music starts. Then they make themselves heard! :heart:
There aren't more because many people want flashy parrots. They are frequently overlooked because their beauty is more subtle.

I am glad they are doing so well.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I have loved them since I got Ferd and Nerd in 78 as I'm sure wild caught brothers. They were quiet, gentle, easy going and very self sufficient. They slept side by side just like your pair and loved each other. I was the guy holding treats to try to get them to fly to me. Ferd would do it and take his treats home. Nerd was more stand offish and couldn't fly well so he refused. Ferd died suddenly a few years in so Nerd and I mourned together and bonded. We grew up together and he was my friend for 31 years. They are awesome souls and very beautiful when the light hits them right so I hope you have a long happy life together.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think everyone who has a pionus is devoted to them! They aren't demonstratively affectionate like a cockatoo, colourful like an amazon or conure or good talkers like a grey but they have their own quiet, subtle charm. You just need to be attuned to it and recognise them for who they are.

Welcome to the Pionus Side! :D

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
I've fallen in love with Toro for sure, she's so intelligent and sweet. She's so gentle too! Sure she's stubborn about what she wants (which is to never go in her cage haha), but she's a darling never-the-less.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I love how easy they are to read. they are home for little over a week, but ive allready learned their way of telling you off. And as a result i stil havent been bitten :)

ive asked a cagebuilder what the cage on the image will cost. lets just hope i wont have to sell my macbook for it :rofl:

Attachments

Archer90

Meeting neighbors
Hey Lincee. I also live in NL and also have Pi Maxi. I will write longer post later, but for now i dont recommended buying this Cage, because it is too small for 2 birds. Buy 2 smaller ones and separate them. I found somewhere information, that pionuses needs at least Cage 3mx2mx1, 5m if you want to keep them together. So this is almost whole room just for them.

I have Cage 170x60x100 and PPL told me i shouldnt try to put another Bird in there.

Maybe someone else can tell something in this subject?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
What are the dimensions of that cage? Something not as tall but wider would be better.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
This wil not be their forever home, but it sure is better then the cage their in now :)

remember all the problems i talked about in my other threat? Im t a point where i simply cant pay a large aviary, as much as i want! It will be something for next year i think. They need to be vet tested next week, etc. Etc. At this point, i have a reserve in case something happens and i need an emergency vet visit, but thats about it :)

BUT, at least they are better off then they where! That count for something too..

i found someone on marktplaats (the dutch version of graigslist) who wants to sell their bronze winged pionuses. I mailed them with the question of they would consider not selling them, but perhaps work on the underlaying problem. They seem well cared for and good housed.

OMG how weird will that seem :hehe:

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would also be inclined to get a wider, lower cage. My cage for Leia is 100cm wide by 80cm deep and 140cm high. I'm happy to upload the very rough diagram I sent the cage maker if you'd like to see it.