• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures The greatest end to the year! Red-Tailed Hawk experience <3

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So yesterday during my lunch break I was on my way to my "Lucky" park where I've had a lot of luck as of late with a Red Shouldered Hawk(I'll share those pics as well). But as much as I adore them, I literally dream of a having a close encounter with a Red-Tailed Hawk. They have been my absolute passion since I was a mere 5 years old so let's just say its been a very long time now that Ive held this species so near and dear to my heart and they are my spirit animal. It doesn't matter how many times I see one I always get such a thrill in my heart, and I feel such joy.

But though I've had some wonderful sightings I've never been as close as I've hoped for a really good close up and detailed shot. Part of the issue is my camera its a lovely point and shoot that I saved up a really long time for but its just no good for these long range high in the sky or tower shots that I need so even though I take quite a few shots thanks to the mated pair of Red-Tails that hang near my work which is beyond fabulous however they are just to high up for anything that's nice and crisp.

So! That leads me to my story. My mom and I were headed to the aforementioned park and as we were driving down a main road I just happened to look up at just the right moment and I noticed a Red-Tail sitting on a lampost! By some very good luck it was very close to a parking lot so my mom pulled in and I slowly and carefully get out and try to get a few shots as I creep ever closer expecting at any second that he's gonna take off since thats always been my luck that even when they are so high in the air they still understandably take off when they feel a human gets too close but that makes for a touch of a disappointing time.
So I take my chances and get closer and predictably he takes off but instead of leaving he flies down to a strand of trees next to a neighborhood. I simply couldn't believe my luck so I carefully cross the street thinking at any moment that he's gonna take off again. I slowly get closer to the tree and he's fairly low to the ground and I carefully maneuvered myself and get in front of him and managed to snag some shots not believing my luck and honestly hardly breathing expecting that at any second, I'll blink, and he'll be gone.
Things were going well until a group of kids came running by on the sidewalk and talking loudly and he takes off almost over my head which was amazing but happened to quick for me to get the shot but by some miracle he hardly flew that far and landed in the tree right next to the one he was in.

So, I once again slowly approach him and he's still unconcerned and just focused on looking at the songbirds. I'm able to get some more lovely shots and then about 20 mins he takes off again because a mockingbird was harassing him, but he couldn't have been more than 8 feet above my head so when he took off he went low, and I swear I could have jumped up and touched him. My heart was in my throat and the awe I felt was truly something I doubt I'll ever experience again. I thought that was surely the end of my luck since he'd stuck around so long but no! He flew farther than he had but he still stayed in the same strand of trees and this time he was as low as he'd been! I was seriously maybe 7 feet under him if even. I was able to look right into his eyes as I swear, he was staring in to my very soul. I was talking to him and everything and he just kept gazing at me completely calm it was truly one of the greatest experiences of my life and all I've ever hoped for.

I could have seriously stayed there forever and taken a million pics but as it was I had to go back to work so I regrettably had to leave him behind and go but I thanked him for giving me this encounter and told him how grateful I was for his gift of letting me get these shots. I ended up taking 688 pics of him in a little less hour so needless to say I have many wonderous pics to always remember this encounter. Here's just a few of my favorites to share with yall.

Still can't believe I got this shot of the Mockingbird going at him!
Mockingbird attacking Hawk edited.jpg

Staring into my soul
RTH close up of my life edited.jpg

Nictitating Membrane!
RTH close up membrane edited.jpg

After he shook out his feathers and got all fluffy :heart:
RTH fluffed staring into my soul edited.jpg

@Peachfaced @Mizzely

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Wow! That mockingbird is brave! Excellent photos! Thanks for sharing. :heart:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! That mockingbird is brave! Excellent photos! Thanks for sharing. :heart:
I was just spelling bound as I was watching him swoop at the Hawk. He never made contact just kept buzzing him and flitting around and this was the only shot of both of them I was able to get.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm still so happy that he hung out for you like that! Such an awesome experience!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm still so happy that he hung out for you like that! Such an awesome experience!
Oh man me too! It still feels like such a dream. I wanted to make sure to tag ya so you could finally get the whole story from start to finish lol

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Of course it was a mockingbird. Those guys have some serious attitudes. :lol: That hawk could make breakfast outta you!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You don't get shots like this very often! Great job, and a lucky day for you. :)
Love the closeups, what a gorgeous bird. :heart:
It still seems like a dream! I was editing pics til after 11 pm last and then I just finished the last of them after about 4 hours of working on it. I just keep looking at them and thinking no way this actually happened to me.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Magnificent photographs!

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Awesome pictures!
Thank you so much for sharing :)

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
What a beautiful bird :heart:

I’m glad you were finally able to see your dream bird up close :)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a beautiful bird :heart:

I’m glad you were finally able to see your dream bird up close :)
He really is so stunning,I could have stared at him forever.
Thank you so much,I'm just so grateful this happened. I'll never forget this as long as I live

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Wow gorgeous bird so glad he took some time to make your day

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
WHOA :wideyed: how insanely cool!

What camera were you using? That photo of his face is amazing!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
WHOA :wideyed: how insanely cool!

What camera were you using? That photo of his face is amazing!
I can't stop looking at it. He was seriously staring into my soul. Its a Canon powershot I believe the name is. It's a wonderful camera and I love it it's just not the best for longer range shots unfortunately so I'm fairly limited since my main subjects that I go for are raptors.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
We have loads of red tailed hawks here too, I love them - I can never get a pic though because I swear I only see them while I’m on a highway :arghh: I’m so jealous!