• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Cockatiels

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
It's been about 2 years since I wrote here. I'm just updating to say I LOVE my cockatiels. They're so funny and such a joy to have around - their silly shenanigans put a smile on my face every day. I'm looking forward to having them around for the rest of their lives. :heart:

181510.jpg

Last edited:

BashTinkLuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
OST
Hello, thanks for the information. I have experience with small conures and lovebirds. I was about adopting a tiel for me. As this post give me a lot of information. I still don't know how much dander they produce according to their small size. I just compare with cockatoo which is bigger than tiels. Please do explain from experienced people..
And also about the egg chronic. What is it mean? Like they produce non-stop eggs? become bonded with her eggs? Is it dangerous for the tiels or normal?

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Hello, thanks for the information. I have experience with small conures and lovebirds. I was about adopting a tiel for me. As this post give me a lot of information. I still don't know how much dander they produce according to their small size. I just compare with cockatoo which is bigger than tiels. Please do explain from experienced people..
And also about the egg chronic. What is it mean? Like they produce non-stop eggs? become bonded with her eggs? Is it dangerous for the tiels or normal?
They produce a surprising amount of dust and dander. It's manageable with an air purifier and frequent vacuuming/dusting, but it is something to keep in mind, especially if you're asthmatic or sensitive. Here is a pic of the prefilter of my air purifier after forgetting to clean it for 3 weeks. This thing is normally BLACK.

Laying eggs in itself is very normal - all parrots are highly motivated to procreate, and it's hard (and often futile) to fight their natural programming. Chronic egg laying is producing eggs continuously due to excessive hormonal stimulation. This is dangerous in a lot of ways - the amount of nutrients and energy required to form that many eggs can take a huge toll on their body - not to mention the risks that come along with laying such as egg binding, yolk peritonitis, cloacal prolapse, and so on. It's unfortunately a little more common in cockatiels, as they're very eager opportunistic breeders. That said, hormones can be managed, and many people keep hens and have no issues. They are very sweet and often more quiet and laid back than males.

BashTinkLuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
OST
They produce a surprising amount of dust and dander. It's manageable with an air purifier and frequent vacuuming/dusting, but it is something to keep in mind, especially if you're asthmatic or sensitive. Here is a pic of the prefilter of my air purifier after forgetting to clean it for 3 weeks. This thing is normally BLACK.

Laying eggs in itself is very normal - all parrots are highly motivated to procreate, and it's hard (and often futile) to fight their natural programming. Chronic egg laying is producing eggs continuously due to excessive hormonal stimulation. This is dangerous in a lot of ways - the amount of nutrients and energy required to form that many eggs can take a huge toll on their body - not to mention the risks that come along with laying such as egg binding, yolk peritonitis, cloacal prolapse, and so on. It's unfortunately a little more common in cockatiels, as they're very eager opportunistic breeders. That said, hormones can be managed, and many people keep hens and have no issues. They are very sweet and often more quiet and laid back than males.
Thank you for sharing the picture. Hahaha Lot of dander. I guess I must prepare air purifier first, before getting a cockatiel :D Tiels are such a loving creature. But I have to think further before deciding to own one. :D

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Thank you for sharing the picture. Hahaha Lot of dander. I guess I must prepare air purifier first, before getting a cockatiel :D Tiels are such a loving creature. But I have to think further before deciding to own one. :D
They are so loving. My boys light up when I walk in the room. It's the sweetest thing. :xflove: Makes all the dust and mess worth it!

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Tiels are such a loving creature. But I have to think further before deciding to own one. :D
Tiels are indeed very loving.
Good to think about it before getting one, that is something I don't do very much. I did 2 years of research before getting my first cockatiel, although I planned on getting a new budgie, instead Elvis came into my life.

Owning a Cockatiel has been very...interesting.
Elvis seems more laid back than my budgies and Lovebird, and he is very trusting.

hope86

Sitting on the front steps
This is based on my 6 week ownership of 2 male cockatiels.

good: they're hilarious and a joy to watch even if they aren't tame. I can't touch my tiels yet but they keep us entertained everyday.

The unexpected: the amount of dander they produce. How scared they can be of new things (food, toys, etc). And how quickly you fall in love with them.

The bad: they can be very loud if they want to be. Ear piercingly loud.

In hopes of helping a future cockatiel parent, I would like to add this:

You'll probably watch a ton of cute videos of perfect little birdies. Understand that when you get your bird, it probably won't be anything like the birds you've seen on Instagram or the bird of your dreams. Not at first anyway. The videos you see and the instagram accounts you follow: they're only highlight reels. There's a lot going on behind the scenes that isn't always cute or funny.

Please, spend some time on different forums, read as many threads as you can, familiarize yourself with as many potential issues as possible and ask yourself if you're ready for ANY and ALL of the problems other owners are having with their birds because they could happen to you!

If you can't accept that the first few weeks or months may be frustrating, please rethink your purchase/adoption.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You'll probably watch a ton of cute videos of perfect little birdies. Understand that when you get your bird, it probably won't be anything like the birds you've seen on Instagram or the bird of your dreams. Not at first anyway. The videos you see and the instagram accounts you follow: they're only highlight reels. There's a lot going on behind the scenes that isn't always cute or funny.

Please, spend some time on different forums, read as many threads as you can, familiarize yourself with as many potential issues as possible and ask yourself if you're ready for ANY and ALL of the problems other owners are having with their birds because they could happen to you!

If you can't accept that the first few weeks or months may be frustrating, please rethink your purchase/adoption.
This is a good point that often isn't talked about. Some cockatiels adapt very quickly to a new home but many others don't. My cockatiel Sunny was not an easy bird the first 3-4 months we had him. Although still charming, he did not want to leave his cage, did not want to eat vegetables, was afraid of new toys, afraid of hands, etc. But I will say patience and not pushing him beyond what he was comfortable doing paid off. His little personality bloomed and he went from being afraid of everything to a little explorer and a complete snuggle bug. He became, to me, the perfect bird. But it didn't happen overnight. And I think it's true with all birds, really, you need to let them be themselves. And it may not always be what you want them to be. But you need to love them for who they are.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Well put @hope86 ! My two females and one male are completely hands off, although I love having them in my home. One tiel is a total lovebug, thank goodness, I have one who loves me! LOL

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
great info on tiels. mine is approx 2 yrs old. we are his 3rd owner. he's lovely and is mostly the same as what everyone else has written about theirs. its definatley something to consider seriously as is with any animal. they can live a long long time. i cant gaurantee that i will be around as long as he is as i am no spring chicken, but i have great friends who would always safeguard his future. they are great birds and quite often it feels like i'm living with a little person! his name is flynny and he lives with my kakariki, mrs.peaman

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
This morning I realized that, in about three months, it will have been two years since I became my cockatiels' caretaker. I feel like I can now, finally, include a post in this thread and do it justice (although, as always, I'm sure I still have more to learn, so let's just plan for updates down the road? Haha).

The Good:
More like the the SO WONDERFULLY FANTASTIC!!! My cockatiels are both very social birds. They truly love to be with my fiance and me all the time. When we have to leave, they flock call when they watch us go (breaks my heart every time), and when we come home, they fweep (when they screech loudly, my fiance and I call it fweeping. Haha) and fweep and fweep until we get the door unlocked and come over to their cage to greet them. Even if we come home late at night, and we wake them up by accident, they will often great us with a happy little "ba-deep." They will fly from their top of their cage to join us on the couch. When we have guests over, they love the extra attention. Indy will easily step up for anyone (he likes to show off), and even Buckbeak has stepped up onto other guests (but only if my fiance is right there next to him or if the guest is male. He likes men). Both of my cockatiels will put on a show for guests and sing their little hearts out. They will often try to outdo each other.

Both of my cockatiels are very affectionate in their own way. Indy loves head scratches - he is my little cuddlebug. I could sit reading with Indy perched on my knee, reading a book in one hand and petting Indy with the other, and he could sit there with me for hours if possible. Buckbeak does not like to be pet at all - he used to be afraid of hands, and still is wary of them around his cage, but he has gotten so good at stepping up for my fiance (who is his favorite human). Even though Buckbeak does not like hands, he loves to sit on the couch between my fiance and I, and he loves preening my fiance's beard. And even though they are super affectionate, they are still independent enough to just chill or play on their play gym or on top of their cage while we sit in the same room as them. They just like being with us, whatever that entails.

My cockatiels are super curious and inquisitive. They love to go on little expeditions together and walk around across the living room floor (with supervision, of course).
I know that usually the title of "clownish bird" usually goes to caiques and conures, but cockatiels, I've found, are also little clowns, but in their own quiet mischievous way. It's like they are walking around with little smirks on thier faces. They are total hams, but they are so quiet about it that sometimes this part of their personalities gets overlooked. At least once a day they somehow find a new way to make me laugh.

Cockatiels are so smart. I've taught both of my cockatiels little "tricks," and they love our little training sessions. They crest feathers just perk up every time I reach for the clicker. They both know how to target to a chop stick. Indy knows how to wave, spin and shake his head "no" (I usual a visual cue for this trick, but what I say as a verbal prompt is "Do you like cats?"). Indy has figured out that now he can "wave" to get my attention and ask me for head scratches. Buckbeak knows how to "flex" and lift his wings up. He's started understanding how to shake his head "no," but he's not quiet there yet. My next goal is to do flight training with both of them and teach them recall and stationing.

I also love how expressive they are! Their crest feathers are like a little flag that reveals their mood. And their vocalizations also easily reflect their mood. Because they are so easy to read, my fiance and I very, very rarely ever get bitten. I honestly can't remember the last time one of them bit me, but that's also because I've learned to read their body language better.

The Bad:
Even though cockatiels are THE BEST (ehem, yes, there, I said it), there are a few downsides. They are often very cautious when presented with something new. Their little crest flags will go straight up and they will stare at the new object for a long time before deciding to either a) acknowledge that it is harmless or b) fly away!!! I would love to harness train my cockatiels, but I know that it would be challenging for this very reason. Because my cockatiels are cautious, it is also important to note that it took them both a long time to learn to trust my fiance and me. Heck, they are still learning to trust us. Every day that trust grows, but it's important that you, the big scary human, take the time and energy to keep building that trust over time.

Cockatiels seem to startle easy. I drop something on the floor - PANIC! EVERYBODY FLY, FLY!!!! Loud or strange noise happens in a movie - PANIC!!! DEMONS ARE REAL AND THEY ARE HERE!!! I step on a pellet on the ground and it crumbles under my shoe - THE APOCALYPSE IS HERE! (Okay, that last one is a bit of an exaggeration, but they do look pretty darn wary when I accidentally step on a pellet). You get the idea.
Night frights are definitely one of the worst parts of living with cockatiels. It doesn't happen often with my tiels, but what's scary is that, when it does, they don't scream like most tiels do. They just flap around their cage like crazy until I come "rescue" them and calm them down.

Make sure you have "birdy stations" in easy reach of your favorite places to sit and chill. Cockatiels are small, and so they poop more often than larger parrots (from what I've read). My fiance's half brother (who is twelve years old, now, I think?) was convinced he wanted a cockatiel, but it wasn't until I told him, "Well, cockatiels poop about every twenty minutes," that he hesitated and reconsidered. This is manageable though. If you're good about reading their body language and having birdy stations set up, you can probably get through a whole day with maybe one or two "accidents." And honestly, cleaning up bird poop is not that hard, and it doesn't smell so... whatever. We keep a roll of toilet paper nearby for quick clean ups.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is something to be aware of: cockatiels are ground foragers. On the one hand, this is great because it is SO EASY to make foraging toys for them. Get a pie dish or a planter dish or some other shallow dish, add either dried pasta noodles, pebbles, paper shreds, toys parts, anything bird safe, add either pellets or seeds or little bits of nuts. Put it on the bottom of the cage. HOURS of entertainment! BUT because they are ground foragers, during out of cage time, they like to fly on the floor and "forage" on your carpet. This means you should bird proof low areas too, such as putting electric cords in boxes or drawers. It is also so, so, so important that you DO NOT allow any dogs, cats, or other predatory animals in the same room as your tiels!!! Cockatiels will fly down onto the ground, which makes them more venerable to predatory animals than other parrot species that are more likely to stay up high in the "canopies," so to speak.

Um, also, cockatiels are loud!!! Those "fweeps" I was talking about can be heard from outside my apartment. "Apartment birds," yeah right! That being said, I am living in an apartment and have NOT heard any complaints from neighbors (most of my neighbors (and the superintendent) have actually met the tiels and think they are adorable), but I've also considered putting sound proofing panels on my doorway just in case... Luckily, they aren't loud for very long (they have short bursts of being loud, mostly when they are excited to see you). I personally like the tonality and vocalizations of my tiels, and when I need to focus on something, it doesn't distract me, but my fiance often gets annoyed when they are loud in the morning. (Buckbeak has started fweeping at the wall in the direction of the bedroom while my fiance tries to sleep in... He knows where my fiance is and is actively trying to wake him up! Haha). I'll probably be sound proofing the bed room and investing in sound-canceling headphones for my fiance in the near future. The point is, every one is different, so meet some tiels and hear them at their worst before you bring some home.

And then there is the dust. So. much. dust. Don't underestimate their small size - get an air purifier before bringing a cockatiel home. (I made this mistake. Trust me!!!)

The Ugly:
The only thing I can think of is something that I have never personally dealt with, and that is chronic egg laying. I might never get a female cockatiel (partially because I wouldn't want to create a breeding situation with my boys YIIKES!), but also because I would be so scared of egg laying issues. I'll probably always stick to boy cockatiels.

Okay, I thought of one more ugly thing... People always seems to associate plucking problems with the big birds: african greys, eclectus, macaws, cockatoos... But little birds such as cockatiels can develop plucking problems too. Indy started plucking when he was suffering from fatty liver disease, and even though the vet confirmed with blood work that his liver has recovered (thank goodness!), he still plucks. Not as much as he used to, but still on a daily basis. I'm still trying to work out why and figure out what changes I could make to make little Indy feel better, but it's a problem that I know will take a lot of time, patience, vet bills, and attention, and even then, he may never completely stop this plucking habit. Just know that, just because you're getting a small bird, does not mean you don't have to "worry" about plucking.

ALL of that being said, cockatiels are individuals, and so each one will be different.

I have to say I absolutely love having my two little bird friends in my life. I hope to always have cockatiels in my life. I know there is "no such thing as the perfect pet bird," but (in my completely biased opinion) cockatiels come pretty gosh darn close to being the "perfect" feathered friend. That being said, cockatiels, like all parrots, are still wild animals. They are not "starter" or "gateway" birds. They are not "cheap" birds that you can just "have on display" or "have as the kid's pet" or any of that nonsense. They are intelligent, attention-needy, affectionate, complex, emotional, loving little beings, and they deserve just as much respect and love as any other bird. The more you give them, the more love they give back. They make your their flock, and I am proud to be a part of their flock. I feel so blessed that I get to share that love with them each and every day.​

:tieln::swoon::tiel3:
:tiel:

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
I LOVE this forum and all the pics! I have had 3 cockatiels. My first was a female Sammy who ended up having seizures and almost died. We later got a male Sunny who actually helped her get better until he started getting aggressive with her so we found a guy who really wanted a male so we rehomed him. Sammy who we didn't know could fly ended up flying out the back door and never found. I still cry for that sweet girl. Everyday I would come home to finish my work at the kitchen table. She would climb onto my shoe then up my leg then onto my shoulder....the bad part was she was demanding for her scritches lol so it was hard to get my work done. She would also tear up my paperwork when she was on the table and walk all over my computer keys. When I had to make her get down she would get mad at me and end up coming right back and start the process over .I would have to put her back in her cage until I was done with work and she did not like that. Now I have a male George who is taking a long time to train but we are getting there. He won't stay on our shoulders but he loves to be out .he kept climbing on the dog crate and pooping in it so we have to set up a second dog crate which he loves to sit on and get inside to get his treats .he does NOT like to go to bed or wake up in the morning. He hisses at me and lunges in the morning when I say good morning and does the same at bedtime if it's too early. He loooooves to stay up late and sleep half the day away. He runs from me at bedtime and bit me hard the other night he will sqwuak and carry on like a brat but he's still so cute .He's very dusty and he doesn't preen as much as I think he should because he's a lazy sleepy bird all day. Sometimes he likes his baths and other times he just won't have it. Then he's mad at me and glares at me with a mean look . He is a beautiful gray and white bird though and he loves to sing and mimic what he hears. He tried the wolf whistle this morning and didn't quite get it down but when I whistled to him he would look at me and then try it lol it was the sweetest thing ever. He loves to listen and be talked to . When he yawns I'll ask him if he's tired then he keeps fake yawning over and over every time I ask him if he's tired .He's a smart sweet little guy and I'm blessed to have him. The other day he saw his reflection in a mirror and jumped flapped and sqwauked then ran away. He went back to he mirror then decided it was too scary lol cockatiels make some of the best pets however they need a lot of attention and time. They are not just pretty to look at and stick in a cage .they are very messy but worth the time and effort and the mess!

Attachments

Kgrace10

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kris
Humm, mine were girls. Girls must have less volume. My girls didnt speak or whistle great. I hear boys are good at whistling. I am surprised about so many Loud comments.
I am too. I thought they were moderate. Loud to me is sun conures. I have a green cheek and she too can be loud. Just how loud?like cockatoo??

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I am too. I thought they were moderate. Loud to me is sun conures. I have a green cheek and she too can be loud. Just how loud?like cockatoo??
No where near cockatoo volume!!! I would say that they are louder than budgies but quieter than green cheek conures. I am able to live in an apartment with my two male cockatiels, and I've never had any complaints from neighbors. However, they are very chatty in the morning and will flock call while my fiance and I prepare to leave for somewhere. It's difficult to describe volume, because compare to all other parrots, cockatiels are quiet. But compared to all of the pet options available (dogs, cats, rodents, reptiles, fish, etc.) they are not AT ALL quiet!

Mrs. Bird Lady

Moving in
Real Name
Diana Eggleston
I have 12 cockatiels and yes dusty and messy. I have several that are loyal and love to be with you and others either just let out or don't mess with me type. I can say there are more good than bad
and they are the best way to learn more when entering the parrot world for the beginners.

flappergirl35

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer Beckman
I adopted my cockatiel, Leah, from a pet store last year. She's actually a male, but when I adopted her, I thought she was female. She is amazing. When we first got her, she was severely malnourished, scruffy, and hadn't been out of her cage in ten years. The cage she was trapped in was much too small for her, making it difficult for her to even groom herself. We are her third home, and I can say, we are her forever home. Her personality is incredible. She's put on weight, loves to bathe and she's very sociable, especially with men. She adores my husband and any guy that walks in the house. She has the most incredible voice, and sings whenever she's near her reflection. The house is filled up with beautiful music.
She does bite and has a little bit of difficulty trusting me, but I work with her every day and I know it will take time and patience. I've gotten my hand bitten a few times, especially when I get her to 'step up' onto my hand when she's on the floor. I discourage the floor because I'm so worried about her getting stepped on by one of us. She's defiant, cheeky and very adventurous.
I can honestly say that I get very upset about reading that tiels make great 'starter' birds. They are sensitive, complicated, loving and need as much time as other birds. I rescued Leah because she was someone's starter bird and once the novelty wore off of her, she was basically neglected. I wouldn't trade the love of my birds in for anything. They bring me a whole plethora of emotions. Joy, sadness, hope and of all things most important, love. Leah is a survivor and one of our flock now.

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Wow Leah is so lucky to have you in her life! It's so sad and maddening that people neglect such wonderful creatures. I really just don't get it. I got my boy and he was not tame at all. I don't believe he was neglected but I dont think he had much if any human interaction or attention. I keep working with him and he's made a ton of progress however i have gotten him to the point of stepping up on to my finger or staying on my shoulder. I use a training perch that he will step up on. Any advice???

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
I purchased Phoenix about a month ago. He was born may 27th of this year so he is about 3 months old now. I love all the things I am reading about cockatiels in this forum. I love my bird and he is such a delight that fills a place in my heart along with my dogs and my cat. Yes I said cat. That is my one big worry. I knew that if I do not get a cockatiel now, that I will be far too old to wait until I no longer have a cat. People tell me they have cats and it is ok to have a bird using caution of course.
Does anyone else have thoughts or experiences with their cat and a bird (being the natural predator/prey relationship)? I don't know if I did the wrong thing by having them all as pets..but I try to give them all attention and love. My cat really is a predator and stalks birds and squirrels..but so far I keep them apart and if the cat ever gets a bit close I am reminding him that he cannot have the bird. So go ahead and let it fly. I would like to hear how people have adapted to having a cat and bird.I am sure there are horror stories too.

hanee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Judit Hannak
I purchased Phoenix about a month ago. He was born may 27th of this year so he is about 3 months old now. I love all the things I am reading about cockatiels in this forum. I love my bird and he is such a delight that fills a place in my heart along with my dogs and my cat. Yes I said cat. That is my one big worry. I knew that if I do not get a cockatiel now, that I will be far too old to wait until I no longer have a cat. People tell me they have cats and it is ok to have a bird using caution of course.
Does anyone else have thoughts or experiences with their cat and a bird (being the natural predator/prey relationship)? I don't know if I did the wrong thing by having them all as pets..but I try to give them all attention and love. My cat really is a predator and stalks birds and squirrels..but so far I keep them apart and if the cat ever gets a bit close I am reminding him that he cannot have the bird. So go ahead and let it fly. I would like to hear how people have adapted to having a cat and bird.I am sure there are horror stories too.
I used to have budgies and cat and dog kept together when I was a child. The cat did not care much about the budgies, but we have never left them together alone. However now as an adult I would not do that, as predators kept together with spoil animals is never a good idea. Although I can understand your decision and if you do some additional precautious actions there will be no problem with it.

You can tame your cat (and dog) that the tiel is also part of the family, and they will accept.
However you need to be sure they are never ever left alone together, and that when the tiel is out, the dog and the cat is in a different room and you clean regularly after the furry friends.
Even if they do not hurt the bird, the bacterias in their mouths can be seriously dangerous to the bird (especially the dog's), so it is also adviceable that they do not go sniffing around the cage (I can imagine the dog licking the cage as an example).

And very importantly I wanted to suggest to get a pair to your tiel. The cockatiels are very social animals, they need another cockatiel mate. It can be male or female does not matter.