• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly about Cockatiels

HazelBird029

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Archer
Oh man... the whole dander and fluff everywhere thing is true XD I agree Tiels are not starter birds. I have wanted one for a very long time, but decided to start out with budgies. I'll never regret that decision, my two first budgies, Tasie and Tank, were amazing! They gave me lots of bird caretaking experience, as well as taming and training experience. Unfortunately I had to give them away due to a bad living situation with tons of cats.
However, about a year later, I'm still just as bird crazy! I've gotten my first Cockatiel, Hazel, and she's a joy! (I'm so lucky though... she has literally no behavioral issues) And I still like to keep a pair of budgies around the house, though my two budgies Sprite and Storm aren't exactly friendly toward Hazel XD
I would however, certainly recommend starting with an easier bird if you're new to birdies :3

Rashmi_S

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Rashmi Shanbhogue
Vocal - This can be a bad thing, too... mostly for boys. They do not stop making noise! They are chattering, whistling, talking, and singing nearly all day. It's a pleasant noise, to me, but when they've been whistling nothing but "if you're happy and you know it" for the past 4 hours straight... it can start to wear you down. And good luck having a phone or Skype call if they're in the same room - their piercing tweets will drive almost everyone nuts.
Haha, I toally agree with this !

To start with, I got my boy 8 months ago and he is a very smart, naughty little tiel who is extremely caustious of his surroundings. He was around 1yo when I got him from his previous owner who had to give him away due to his behaviour - Did not let the guy sleep by loud screeches during the day time and bit the female who was brought as his pair so eventually the two had to be given away.

He is Extremely Noisy! Enough to wake my whole apartment up and his screeches can be heard even at the ends of my road! Starts screeching the moment I or someone disappears from my room before him which by luck might turn into one of his whistles or songs.

We call him Oz, although he does not respond to that name at all.

He bites, Real hard and Everyone. I was being hissed at and bitten the first few weeks. He refused to come out of the cage for the first few days, didn't let any of us touch him. Much as I love birds I was at a point, terrified to touch him and was worried about how to get him like me and others. The fact that I was out the most day for work did not help much - even my work timings weren't fixed.

Anyway, I used to leave my phone on his cage with some whistling tracks looping forever whenever I was out of my room in the hall so he kinda picked the tunes pretty faster than I expected so now I have him Wolf whistle in two different ways (earlier he used to whistle upon my command "Whistle") sing "If you're happy and you know it" and the first part of a tune I've been teaching him along with a short call that I used to use to call him to fly onto my hands. Of course, everything started with the classic Step-up technique that I struggled real hard to teach him.

For a short while I taught him "Fly" (come to me) and "Go back" (perch away on cage or window grills) but apparently he's forgotten them now since he doesn't obey to it.

Oh yes. he is CRAZY about millets and sunflower seeds. So when I fill his tray and say "Come here" he comes to any part of the cage I'm pointing at (while still being inside the cage). The same was used to indicate him during the first few days for the sunflower seed treat.

I am worried since he refused to eat anything except millets, sunflower seeds and hard boiled egg bits along with a fruit/ nut smacker since I know that a healthy bird should be fed not just seeds but veggies and fruits too. He was only crazy for a day over the fruit pellets but now goes on a hunger strike if he finds them in his tray. The dust andis too much to give anyone non-stop sneezes and poop, it is something he thinks he can decorate with Anywhere! So I have newspapers below my window grills to avoid daily cleaning.

Recently he started letting me give him scritches - The technique is to try scritch him the right way when he is preening and continue only if he doesnt jump to rip your finger off. But I think this is serious improvement in someone who was doing nothing but hissing and biting you real hard to an extent of blood oozing between your finger and its nail. He even lets anyone extract him from his cage and does not protest if he is placed on any new guest's shoulders.

Yes, he is scared of new things, toys, his own reflection in the mirror for that matter. Loves biting an chewing the papers. Is very much annoyed at the cute little bell hanging above his swing. Loves to perch on topmost places so there you have my window grills, curtain rods, shelves and the boxes over the shelves and even my ceiling fain occupied. He is a stubborn little spoilt brat (I spoilt him) who does not fear loud noises and even scares the poor new kitten in the house with his hisses and stretches to bite. Very difficult to extract him from the high spots 'cause he would have found some box to perch and chew upon.

I do not deny the fact that I have thought about giving him away several times but I love my non-snoozable alarm clock more than anything and am happy how he is warming up to us slowly. So basically I belive in the fact that they are Not starter birds but with love and attention, they can be your best buddies with building of trust and bond.

Sorry this got too lengthy, I just couldn't contain myself from sharing my experience of 200 and odd days in a paragraph about my baby boy. Any advice or suggestions are welcome !

Love to all in this forum from myself and Oz:tiel2:

Amisha

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amisha Steinbeck
hi i just got my cockatiel any suggestions about entertaining it?

HazelBird029

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Archer
hi i just got my cockatiel any suggestions about entertaining it?
Interesting toys help entertain my tiel' alot. (Especially the shiny ones lol)
Lots of love and out of cage time help too!
Training her tricks will entertain her and stimulate her mind as well :3

Smbrds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Shawn
Good: I don't know where to start. His cute squeaky voices, his whistles, personality. I've had him for 13 years. He's been more cuddly these days than before but he's always been cuddly. He loves to be with me. He loves and adores my mom. In general likes the company of others. He says pretty bird, pretty pretty pretty bird, peekaboo, Baby, hello. Makes cute sounds, does the wolf whistle, does a long whistle my dad taught him when he was younger. He loves playing peekaboo. Everyday - most days anyway - are a joy. He doesn't like fingers sometimes but he'll gladly rest his head on my nose or face and cuddle that way, rubbing my face to cuddle, helping to preen. I can bury myself in his feathers. His feathers are very pretty and distinguished because in the wild it also helps to hide from predators when on the ground. He's flighted and likes to fly when he wants to. If he wants to go somewhere badly he'll fly back to his cage. When he wants to go somewhere, he lets me know by doing the "baby bird wing beg" spread like a someone in sign language letting you know they want something. When I'm gone for a bit, I'll come back and he'll greet me with a cute whistle-type chirp.

He's independent in spite of being very cuddly. Probably a lot more these days. But he's happy just being around you even just perched on your shoulder, you'll hear him grinding his beak and then next he'll be taking a nap. He'll happily venture out on his own but will come back after he's done. He's very loyal, sweet, friendly. Originally, I was going to get a budgie but I'm extremely glad I got him. As I learned, a bird will pick you and sometimes not the other way around. He came waddling right over and looking up with his little black beetle eyes. And those eyes are what get me about the cockatiel and cockatoo family, they go cross-eyed and in and out when eating or playing with something or focusing. He can be easy to read by communicating with his crest. When he's afraid of something he'll hiss and starting doing the offensive "dance" (forgot what it's called). He's also really adaptable and doesn't care if I move something around, in fact he wants to know what it is by joining in. No grudges, just being spoiled. He's also very forgiving if I don't get give much attention some days, but he can also be independent on his own as mentioned. Very good-natured in general.

Bad: Can't go wrong with 'tiels. But I'd have to say in general though they're very underrated and some think they're "easy" to care for by just giving them the basics and being in the cage all the time. I've witnesses a lot of people who have 'tiels and only just take care of them like a fish. They can have somewhat loud and shrill contact calls and can sometimes scream a little during the day and before bed (but they have little voices). They're also related to cockatoos but waaay minimal. They can sometimes be finicky eaters. I wish I introduced veggies when he was younger but he'll at least pick at grated carrots on his rice or eggs. He eats good otherwise. During molting season lots of feathers, dust and crankiness. He can be very hormonal sometimes also.

Ugly: The poop? :wacky: For some - the dust. And lots of it. Lots of little feathers especially around molting. Might want to get some furniture that's not black. :D

Cockatielmamaw

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
I have read all that has been posted. I have 3 females,al young. One, is over year now. The other two about 4 mos, were adopted. I am really concerned about this egg laying, and binding. I have one young male who hasnt shown much interest in the females. Are all these females going to be laying eggs soon? What to expect?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have read all that has been posted. I have 3 females,al young. One, is over year now. The other two about 4 mos, were adopted. I am really concerned about this egg laying, and binding. I have one young male who hasnt shown much interest in the females. Are all these females going to be laying eggs soon? What to expect?
Not all females lay eggs and not all female tiels are chronic egg layers. It's just that tiels are more likely it seems than other species to be chronic egg layers- however most aren't. Because you have a male, obviously there's a chance of the eggs being fertile which creates other issues. Here is an article you may find helpful: Little Feathered Buddies hormone control

animallover9

Walking the driveway
The Good: They are very sweet and will beg for attention. Two of mine always want to be with either my fiance or I. They don't exactly pick a single person as there own and disregard everyone else like a lot of birds do. They are full of personality and have some great expressions. They are not very loud which I am rather happy with. They are hilarious and very smart. When I was trying to teach Raiden a trick I guess Phoenix got annoyed by his slow process and started doing it just from watching him do it a few time without me even asking her.

The Bad: They nip rather often never enough to hurt but it is definitely annoying. Being full of personality isn't always a good thing especially when they have birdy temper tantrums. They scream when you leave the room because they become very attached and will dive bomb you for attention. Its not really bad in my opinion but other might think so but they don't really talk at least my three don't. They also have some dander in my opinion it isn't really bad but you can tell on the rope perches a nice white layer by cleaning day but it isn't noticeable around the rest of the room.

The Ugly: The egg laying! I have two positive females and Tris use to be a breeder (before I rescued her) and I was told she laid fertile and unfertilized eggs very often. Since I got her she hasn't laid any but that is definitely not a good thing about cockatiels.

Cockatiels are amazing birds and make amazing pets! Even with one of mine not being tame they are fantastic creatures!

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
I didn't know cockatiels are known to be chronic egg layers. Is there anything that prevents/helps a chronic laying tiel?

BeeBop

Also, does anyone have experience with budgies and cockatiels together? I've heard they get along pretty good?

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Also, does anyone have experience with budgies and cockatiels together? I've heard they get along pretty good?
Budgies tend to pester cockatiels a lot. They're very energetic and boisterous, where cockatiels are more laid back. They'll need to have a lot of space to be able to get away from each other.

BeeBop

Budgies tend to pester cockatiels a lot. They're very energetic and boisterous, where cockatiels are more laid back. They'll need to have a lot of space to be able to get away from each other.
Ok thanks for your reply. I definitely agree budgies can be energetic little birds.

BeeBop

Anyone else have experience with budgies and cockatiels? I would also like to know more about cockatiels who are chronic egg layers. Thanks. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Anyone else have experience with budgies and cockatiels? I would also like to know more about cockatiels who are chronic egg layers. Thanks. :)
I think tiels being known to be chronic egg layers is more of a - compared to other parrots. I would say the majority of cockatiels are not chronic egg layers. Although my tiel was a male, I've known people who have had females that have only ever laid one or two eggs they entire time they had them. And for those tiels that tend to lay more eggs, often egg laying can be controlled - longer hours of darkness, not giving them anything that can be perceived as nest box, frequently rearranging their cage, etc. For those tiels, that really are chronic and simple modifications don't work, there are Lupron shots which seem to be effective. If you think a tiel is the bird you want, I wouldn't let fear of egg-laying stop you.

@Princessbella ? @CeciliaZ ?

Last edited:

BeeBop

I think tiels being known to be chronic egg layers is more of a - compared to other parrots. I would say the majority of cockatiels are not chronic egg layers. Although my tiel was a male, I've know people who have had females that have only ever laid one or two eggs they entire time they had them. And for those tiels you tend to lay more eggs, often egg laying can be controlled - longer hours of darkness, not giving them anything that can be perceived as nest box, frequently rearranging their cage, etc. For those tiels, that really are chronic and simple modifications don't work, there are Lupron shots which seem to be effective. If you think a tiel is the bird you want, I wouldn't let fear of egg-laying stop you.

@Princessbella ? @CeciliaZ ?
Thanks that helps a lot. I have had a tiel before just didn't know that much about them at the time, they are very sweet birds.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I do have a female tiel - my Lily :heart: - I still have her. She laid her first egg at about 8-9 months old. She became a chronic layer for 2 years. I tried all that is suggested. Did not work...considered Lupron. I had a large cage made for my males. I wanted to keep her separate from them and keep her in her flight cage. She had other ideas. She went in that large cage and did not want to leave. I left her in there with the other tiels and watched their behavior carefully. They did not bother her - and she did not bother them. And she stopped laying! She has only laid one egg - about 3 years ago. That large cage is their "daytime" cage in my main living area when I am home. When I am working my 5 tiels are in 3 separate cages. She shares a cage with one of my males. In a cage by herself - she was very nesty.

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I have a male, he is loud! But he is nothing compared to my lovebird.
Elvis is loud for sure, but quieter then my female lovebird. He doesn't make a mess, but there is a lot of dander. He has never but anyone, probably because he was hand raised. Even while he's hormonal he is not bitey, not any louder then he normally is. I love my little tiel.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Start a new thread or your question will not get answered because it's buried deep inside a sticky.